Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 10:12 PM)
Congrats, Russ!

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 06:14 AM)
Congrats man.

You have to be right around me, we'll have to hit up a bar for a Sox game and a few beers at some point.

Thanks guys! First apartment that wasnt at college so Im excited for that.

And Row, definitely down to get a drink, or 15.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 08:18 AM)
Thanks guys! First apartment that wasnt at college so Im excited for that.

And Row, definitely down to get a drink, or 15.

Yeah, I was going to say...like you two would really just have a "couple" beers ;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
Yeah, I was going to say...like you two would really just have a "couple" beers ;)

I figured someone would pick up on that.

And I would invite you shack but I know you wouldn't show up anyways. :(

I know several states have legalized medical marijuana, but I didn't realize that a few had full legalization (ie, including recreational use) on the ballot this fall. I wonder how that'll do. This article on Seattle's Hempfest talks a bit about it, but also how they're trying to organize the festival this year so as to be more "mainstream." Pretty interesting stuff.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
I know several states have legalized medical marijuana, but I didn't realize that a few had full legalization (ie, including recreational use) on the ballot this fall. I wonder how that'll do. This article on Seattle's Hempfest talks a bit about it, but also how they're trying to organize the festival this year so as to be more "mainstream." Pretty interesting stuff.

I've started seeing ads out here with soccer moms on the pro-legalization side.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 19, 2012 -> 08:50 PM)
I've started seeing ads out here with soccer moms on the pro-legalization side.

Ha, that's about as mainstream as it gets. I saw one poll that seemed like it would be pretty sure it would pass, but I have no idea as to its validity.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 19, 2012 -> 08:26 PM)
My bottom lip just got really swollen on he left side for no reason. This is weird. Allergic reaction to something?

Sounds like it if it's the only symptom and you don't notice anything else weird.

One time I had an allergic reaction to a sandwich and my fingers were really swollen. Didn't hurt, no other symptoms, but looked at my fingers and they were ginormous. It was odd.

Wow. More at link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19325756

Would you break your own toe to win a Paralympic medal? Would you sit on a sharp object or strangulate your testicles? It's cheating, but a scientist who will be monitoring athletes at the Paralympic Games says a third of competitors with spinal injuries may be harming themselves to boost their performance.

The practice, called "boosting", is designed to increase blood pressure and enhance performance.

It's banned by the International Paralympics Committee (IPC), but some researchers say these are the desperate acts of athletes trying to compete on a level playing field.

"There have been times where I would specifically give my leg or my toe a couple of really good electric shocks" says Brad Zdanivsky, a 36-year-old Canadian quadriplegic climber who has experimented with boosting in the gym.

Continue reading the main story

Common boosting techniques

Overfilling the bladder, by clamping a catheter

Sitting on a drawing pin

Use of tight leg straps

Twisting and/or sitting on the scrotum

Cracking or breaking a bone

"That would make my blood pressure jump up and I could do more weights and cycle harder - it is effective."

One British journalist with years of experience covering the Paralympics says he has heard of athletes using small hammers to crack or break a toe.