Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)
ATTN: Balta. Comment requested.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/9...id-impacts.html

The spray thing sounds cool.

We actually have a ton of ways to deflect an asteroid fairly cheaply if we see it more than a few weeks in advance. The ones mentioned in that article work just fine as long as you're talking about >10 years out. Happy to elaborate on the physics if htat's what you're asking.

If you want to know the real problem...it's the surveying dollars. We've surveyed everything in the near-earth asteroid community down to about the kilometer size. If you can get down to 100 meters, then you're talking about most of the things that could threaten Tunguska-sized (level a city) impacts, but we don't have the telescopes that can find all of those, and the money to do that kind of survey just isn't there.

There are still other undetected threats; we can't rule out comets either, because some of those are on orbits we can't see easily...but again, it's more a question of money than anything. Finding small, non-bright objects is very expensive, and the country/world has other priorities.

Fun, considering I work a block from the lock up...

Chuck Goudie ABC7 ITeam

NETALERT Two prisoners at federal lockup in #Chicago have escaped including one suspected bank robber. #MCC is downtown. Police: inmates were there for 5am bed check. Gone at 830. Last seen wearing bright orange jumpsuits.

Greetings, friends.

Do you wish to look as happy as me? Well, you've got the power inside you right now. So, use it, and send one dollar to Happy Dude, 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield. Don't delay, eternal happiness is just a dollar away.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 07:36 PM)
Greetings, friends.

Do you wish to look as happy as me? Well, you've got the power inside you right now. So, use it, and send one dollar to Happy Dude, 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield. Don't delay, eternal happiness is just a dollar away.

I only have dimes.