2012 Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
Does anyone else here share the opinion Melancholia was one of the top 5 movies of the year and actually "life-affirming" rather than depressing?

I'd be interested in how you think it is life-affirming outside of the chance you can get railed by a hot blonde in the 18th hole bunker.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
I'm a big fan, but I thought I was in the minority on that one.

Christopher Nolan is really on a great run.

The Prestige might be my favorite movie of all time, but I'm also a big Nikola Tesla nerd.

Also, I really enjoy The Illusionist, which is a similar movie.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 12:49 AM)
The newer version of GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO is 5X better, wow....Rooney Mara totally scared me, I can see why some families/adults even are steering away from this one, very dark, much moreso than original Swedish version.

Seriously? I saw it last night, actually...and while I thought it was very good, I thought it was almost the exact same movie as the Swedish version, with the exception of the ending.

I guess they did make her a bit more frightening, but the people in my showing were actually outwardly cheering her on during the movie...they didn't seem "scared" of her at all...

I find the gratuitous nudity a bit odd as well...(not that I am complaining).

Rooney Mara did do a wonderful job, but I thought Noomi Rapace did an awesome job, and didn't have the advantage of watching someone else play the role first and then copying and adding to it...

But having that first performance already out there, it's hard to make it original the 2nd time around.

Think True Grit, for example, the Bridges/Damon version.

Maybe I just think Rooney Mara's 10X hotter than Rapace and my bias for her is kicking in, plus her NFL connections, lol. She's the new Minka Kelly, haha.

We've had the same debate over LET ME IN/LET THE RIGHT ONE IN. Clearly, the first one there was a better film.

All things considered, Craig and the chemistry he had with the rest of the cast was MUCH better than Mr. Mission Impossible 4 villain dude.

And the "villainous" Skarsgaard and the last 20-30 minutes featured in much more heavily this time around.

I don't like the ending crash scene (took the moral conumdrum away from Lisbeth) and the "jilted" girl ending...those are 2 quibbles to this one.

Edited by caulfield12

I felt the original did a better job unraveling the murder mystery, and that it was superior to Fincher's remake. But I agree with Caulfield about how much more attractive Rooney Mara is. Noomi Rapace looks like Davey Havok from AFI.

Saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy today, and I was pretty disappointed in it. It's one of my dad's favorite books but this adaptation was pretty weak imo, the biggest weakness was the sheer amount of characters being introduced in the beginning without much detail on any of them.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 07:21 PM)
Saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy today, and I was pretty disappointed in it. It's one of my dad's favorite books but this adaptation was pretty weak imo, the biggest weakness was the sheer amount of characters being introduced in the beginning without much detail on any of them.

Didn't want to hear that. Was thinking about going Wed afternoon.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 07:31 PM)
Didn't want to hear that. Was thinking about going Wed afternoon.

If you've read the book it helps, but I hadn't and I was trying to puzzle everything together for the first 3/4 of the movie. It was incredibly frustrating to have one character introduced for about 1 min then disappear for 30 mins. My dad knew the characters but even then said the movie didn't do a good enough job in areas that made the book great.

I finally watched Bridesmaids last night...hilarious...the dress scene alone was enough to make the movie...I was a little underwhelmed by Melissa McCarthy's performance, however...I guess my expectations were raised a bit too high.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
I finally watched Bridesmaids last night...hilarious...the dress scene alone was enough to make the movie...I was a little underwhelmed by Melissa McCarthy's performance, however...I guess my expectations were raised a bit too high.

Read they're going to do a sequel potentially without Kristen Wiig.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/brid...niversal-277792

Big mistake.

Like doing the Bourne without Matt Damon. We'll see how well that one works out for them.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
Read they're going to do a sequel potentially without Kristen Wiig.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/brid...niversal-277792

Big mistake.

Like doing the Bourne without Matt Damon. We'll see how well that one works out for them.

Yeah, Kristen Wiig is my favorite female from SNL since Gilda Radner....she's brilliant.

Anyone ever see Pelle The Conqueror? I started watching it weeks ago, got sidetracked, and finally got back to it last night (I kept putting it off because it's two hours and 40 minutes). I should have watched it sooner. Subtitled movies always go by much quicker. I really like Max Von Sydow, but it occurred to me while watching it that I confused him with a few other actors growing up. In my mind, all of these actors might as well have been the same person for years: Von Sydow, Peter O'Toole, Ian McKellen, and Christopher Plummer.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 02:06 AM)
Since movies that come out in December belong to both years (IMO)- Went to go see Sherlock. Best movie I've seen in a theater since Dark Knight. Robert Downey Jr. is better as Sherlock than he is as Tony Stark, and he's pretty good as Tony Stark. Two very similar characters, actually...

Are they similar in the way they're written, or does Robert Downey, Jr. simply play them similarly? I like the guy, but a lot of his characters seem the same.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
Seriously? I saw it last night, actually...and while I thought it was very good, I thought it was almost the exact same movie as the Swedish version, with the exception of the ending.

I guess they did make her a bit more frightening, but the people in my showing were actually outwardly cheering her on during the movie...they didn't seem "scared" of her at all...

I find the gratuitous nudity a bit odd as well...(not that I am complaining).

Rooney Mara did do a wonderful job, but I thought Noomi Rapace did an awesome job, and didn't have the advantage of watching someone else play the role first and then copying and adding to it...

Have you read the books? I find it oddly surprising that you'd seem it strange that people would cheer on Lizbeth Salander. She's a pretty badass character and only gets cooler throughout the series.

As for the gratuitous nudity... again, what did you expect? I mean, Fincher wanted to tell the story accurately, and a ton of the "Girl" franchise revolves around lust, sex, and yes rape. Expecting anything else surprises me.

I want to see it again in the theater, and will. Hell, the intro with the remix of the "Immigrant Song" is worth the $10 alone.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
Have you read the books? I find it oddly surprising that you'd seem it strange that people would cheer on Lizbeth Salander. She's a pretty badass character and only gets cooler throughout the series.

As for the gratuitous nudity... again, what did you expect? I mean, Fincher wanted to tell the story accurately, and a ton of the "Girl" franchise revolves around lust, sex, and yes rape. Expecting anything else surprises me.

I want to see it again in the theater, and will. Hell, the intro with the remix of the "Immigrant Song" is worth the $10 alone.

I liked it, but I didn't find it anywhere near good enough to see twice in theaters.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
I liked it, but I didn't find it anywhere near good enough to see twice in theaters.

To each his own, slick. The last movie I saw multiple times in the theater was "The Dark Knight".

I dont know if any of you have seen commercials for the new "found footage" movie Chronicle, but I think this might be a sleeper. 3 teenagers acquire superpowers and start to videotape themselves learning how to deal with the power, and one of them goes pretty bad.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 10:34 AM)
I dont know if any of you have seen commercials for the new "found footage" movie Chronicle, but I think this might be a sleeper. 3 teenagers acquire superpowers and start to videotape themselves learning how to deal with the power, and one of them goes pretty bad.

Thanks for the head's up... definitely has some promise.

I really, really, really want to see 'Contraband' due to my rather ridiculous enjoyment of anything Mark Wahlberg... and Giavanni Ribisi is always fun. Sadly, I can't seem to talk the wife into it.

Seen commercials and definitely think it could be guilty pleasure type stuff.

It looks good now, but "found footage" movies usually look pretty good when you first start to see the previews. Once they release more and more commercials, they often start to look stupid. I want it to be good, though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 08:04 AM)
The Debt was pretty solid. Liked the way they unraveled it, even if the story was obvious.

I liked it, too.

I was kinda disappointed with "Horrible Bosses." Found it amusing, but not hilarious. Some of Jennifer Aniston's lines were great though.