2012 Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
Are they similar in the way they're written, or does Robert Downey, Jr. simply play them similarly? I like the guy, but a lot of his characters seem the same.

It's both. Holmes and Stark have a lot of similar traits, and for that reason, all Downey Jr. has to do to play both parts is change clothes to reflect the appropriate time period and switch accents while speaking.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
Halfway through WAR HORSE.

Brilliant cinematography, a beautiful movie to watch so far. Still doesn't beat SEA BISCUIT or SECRETARIAT, but totally different types of movies there.

Halfway through? Get off your damn phone and watch the movie!!

:angry: <_>

:D

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 10:34 AM)
I dont know if any of you have seen commercials for the new "found footage" movie Chronicle, but I think this might be a sleeper. 3 teenagers acquire superpowers and start to videotape themselves learning how to deal with the power, and one of them goes pretty bad.

I think there was some discussion on this movie earlier. Definitely looks like its worth watching. Sure, the downside is pretty large, but the premise is strong.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 10:19 AM)
Have you read the books? I find it oddly surprising that you'd seem it strange that people would cheer on Lizbeth Salander. She's a pretty badass character and only gets cooler throughout the series.

As for the gratuitous nudity... again, what did you expect? I mean, Fincher wanted to tell the story accurately, and a ton of the "Girl" franchise revolves around lust, sex, and yes rape. Expecting anything else surprises me.

I want to see it again in the theater, and will. Hell, the intro with the remix of the "Immigrant Song" is worth the $10 alone.

I didn't find it odd that people were cheering her on...I was responding to Caufield finding her character to be frightening...she is definitely a bit crazy, but not so much that normal people have a hard time identifying with her plight.

As for the nudity, Fincher really didn't show any more than the Swedish version showed. I guess I was more surprised it was in that version than this one...although I guess I do find it surprising that Mara was cool with it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)
I didn't find it odd that people were cheering her on...I was responding to Caufield finding her character to be frightening...she is definitely a bit crazy, but not so much that normal people have a hard time identifying with her plight.

As for the nudity, Fincher really didn't show any more than the Swedish version showed. I guess I was more surprised it was in that version than this one...although I guess I do find it surprising that Mara was cool with it.

Well, maybe not compared to "JUNO" girl in HARD CANDY.

That was REALLY scary. Having read all the books and seen the first version, of course I knew what to expect in advance....and maybe 90% of it is my inherent bias for MARA kicking in.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
Thanks for the head's up... definitely has some promise.

I really, really, really want to see 'Contraband' due to my rather ridiculous enjoyment of anything Mark Wahlberg... and Giavanni Ribisi is always fun. Sadly, I can't seem to talk the wife into it.

Huh?

Contraband looks poised to rack up $26-28 million for the weekend, beating out BEAUTY & THE BEAST, which cost about $10 million to convert to 3D.

I think we can legitimately call Wahlberg an "action star" and box office draw at this point in his career.

Sherlock Holmes was a bit nebulous in its villain this time, Mark Strong was such a huge and malevolent presence in the last one, and not nearly as much Rachel McAdams or "romance" as the first picture in the series.

The other "Shirley" was the British actor from V for Vendetta, right? He seemed very familiar, for some reason.

Still nothing close to GHOST PROTOCOL in recent months in the action genre.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
Sherlock Holmes was a bit nebulous in its villain this time, Mark Strong was such a huge and malevolent presence in the last one, and not nearly as much Rachel McAdams or "romance" as the first picture in the series.

The other "Shirley" was the British actor from V for Vendetta, right? He seemed very familiar, for some reason.

Mycroft Holmes was played by Stephen Fry.

Yes he was in V for Vendetta.

He's a great interview and a great actor.

We’re counting on Gaston Wahlberg to lead the way! In a weekend that saw both the Mark Wahlberg thriller Contraband and Disney’s 3-D re-release of Beauty and the Beast perform better than expected, it was the former that crossed the finish line in first place.

The R-rated Contraband, which stars Wahlberg as a former smuggler trying to protect his brother-in-law from a drug lord, earned an estimated $24.1 million over the standard three-day weekend, and looks to finish the four-day holiday weekend with about $28 million. That’s a solid start for the $25 million movie, a remake of the 2008 Icelandic thriller Reykjavík-Rotterdam. It also represents Wahlberg’s strongest solo debut since 2008′s The Happening. (What? No!)

Contraband confirmed Wahlberg’s ability to open a movie, as 69 percent of CinemaScore’s participants listed the actor as their reason for buying a ticket. It received an overall “A-” from the tracking service’s graders, indicating positive word of mouth. But the movie will have to contend with a number of action films in the coming weeks, including Haywire, Underworld: Awakening, and The Grey.

In second was Beauty and the Beast 3D with $18.5 million for the three-day frame — the largest January opening for an animated film (topping 2006′s Hoodwinked). Disney spent less than $10 million converting the 1991 classic to 3-D, so this kind of opening more than justifies the studio’s decision to re-release the musical. It also bodes well for Disney’s future 3-D re-releases: Finding Nemo in September, and Monsters, Inc. and The Little Mermaid in 2013. Beast should finish the four-day weekend with around $25 million.

Get more EW: Subscribe to the magazine for only 39¢ an issue!

However, despite Beast‘s commendable performance, it’s worth pointing out that it fell short of last September’s The Lion King 3D, which debuted to $30.2 million. That could be the result of several factors. For one, King was a much bigger hit in its original release, earning $312.9 million versus Beast‘s $145.9 million. Second, Beast has been out on 3-D Blu-ray since October, whereas King didn’t come out on Blu-ray until after it returned to theaters. And Beast had a harder time attracting the interest of boys. According to Disney, just 31 percent of Beast 3D‘s audience was male — compared to 44 percent for Lion King 3D.http://www.ew.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)

Still nothing close to GHOST PROTOCOL in recent months in the action genre.

Agreed about the villain. The movie around it made it easy to look past that. As for the romance (or lack thereof), I think that it was there, just not as obvious. You could feel how the loss affected him and kind of made chasing Moriarty personal- at least that's the way I saw it.

Also thought the brother was a strong supporting actor. Stephen Fry ought to find his way into more movies.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 10:10 PM)
Agreed about the villain. The movie around it made it easy to look past that. As for the romance (or lack thereof), I think that it was there, just not as obvious. You could feel how the loss affected him and kind of made chasing Moriarty personal- at least that's the way I saw it.

Also thought the brother was a strong supporting actor. Stephen Fry ought to find his way into more movies.

I'm pretty sure he does plenty of work, just in things that are seen primarily in England.

Hopefully the HUGO best director award for Marty (not 34, lol) goes a long way to getting that film back out in the marketplace again in Feb/March.

WAR HORSE, I have to admit it....had the MARLEY & ME effect on me, even though I knew it was coming.

Just a beautiful film to watch...wish I could have seen it on the big screen and not a measly laptop.

Moneyball shut out, not surprisingly.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
I watched the first half of Bridesmaids last night and haven't been impressed with it so far. It really hasn't been funny and some parts were pretty awkward and hard to watch.

I'm looking forward to seeing it, but that makes me less excited. I really don't like awkward humor.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
I watched the first half of Bridesmaids last night and haven't been impressed with it so far. It really hasn't been funny and some parts were pretty awkward and hard to watch.

That's how I felt about it. It had moments, but it wasn't nearly as funny as it was made out to be.