2012 Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 01:24 AM)
I agree. It kept my attention and was entertaining but as I was watching it I just kept thinking how unlikely the whole thing was.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)
I'm glad someone agrees.

It was said that he was a former fighter so he had experience in the past in bigger fights outside of the parking lot stuff.

Not to mention, it is a movie. Next thing you know you will tell me animals don't really sing and dance.

last night I saw what should have been an oscar shoe-in on Encore. "Dolph Lundgren is The Killing Machine". Oh boy, I cannot tell you guys how awesome this movie was. If you enjoy bad dialogue, shaky unfocused camera action, and a film done in home videocamera format, this is the movie for you.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
It was said that he was a former fighter so he had experience in the past in bigger fights outside of the parking lot stuff.

Not to mention, it is a movie. Next thing you know you will tell me animals don't really sing and dance.

Yes, I watched the movie and paid attention. I don't think you're listening to me. I said it would have been better if they just left Angle's character out of it entirely. A teacher with past fighting experience winning a professional MMA tournament is a good enough, semi-believable story by itself. What I'm saying is that they took it a little too far by having him ALSO give the first career loss to a guy they earlier described as the greatest fighter of all time (or something like that). Between that and the actual matches, the lack of believability brought it down a notch for me.

Watched Moneyball, Paranormal Activity 3, and The Killer Elite this weekend...thought Moneyball was well done, considering the audience. Both Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill did a nice job. PA3 was scary but more of the same stuff...although I guess the kids angle in this one made it a little more creepy for me. The Killer Elite was fun and I always enjoy Clive Owen and DeNiro, but it was a bit confusing. I did think they did a fairly awesome job of finding some mint 1980 british cars though :)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
The Grey was decent. Had high expectations and was a little let-down. Thankfully I was using movie passes. Enjoyable movie but one that you can most definitely wait for redbox.

I wanna catch it in the theatre just to experience the scenery on the big screen.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 12:35 PM)
Caught Ides of March and Planet of the Apes this weekend. Same review for both - well done, entertaining, but ultimately the ending was unsatisfying. Solid "B."

I agree on Ides, but disagreed on Apes. Because of the history of the show, there wasn't really another way to end it.

I didn't care for the whole Golden Gate scene (a bit too unbelievable for me, even in a movie about super smart apes) or Franco's s***-grin at the end. It just felt like a movie where it was really rolling and then just fell a little flat. They had everything set up perfectly but then just failed to give me that one final satisfying scene to link it all up with the originals. I also didn't like how they alluded to the global pandemic in the credits instead of showing a scene or two about it. Maybe that's for a sequel though.

Again, I didn't hate it, I just was left with that "um, that was an ok way to end it, but not great."

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
I wanna catch it in the theatre just to experience the scenery on the big screen.

There is one scene in particular which was entirely worth the 10 bucks for me. You'll likely know it when you see it. But I'm also a huge outdoorsman so who knows.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
I also didn't like how they alluded to the global pandemic in the credits instead of showing a scene or two about it. Maybe that's for a sequel though.

That reminded me a lot of "12 Monkeys." I guess in a monkey-movie about a bleak future, you have to have an airport scene.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 7, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)
It does look cool, but it feels a little too early for a series reboot to me.

Eh, it will be 5 years since the tremendously disappointing Spiderman 3. It doesn't bother me too much, I'm just going to pretend that movie didn't happen anyways