2012 Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 07:31 AM)
I thought Will Smith was attached. Maybe that is old news or a different movie. Maybe Jamie Foxx took his spot. That sucks.

Call me a snob but I couldnt even really enjoy REAL STEEL for the mindless flick it was.

Will Smith was originally pegged for the lead role but Jamie Foxx was ultimately cast.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 04:53 AM)
I think that your memories as a 16 year-old are lying to you.

That movie was made for early-teen boys, so if that is when someone saw it, I could see how their focus on the pod racing and light saber fight scenes (which admitedly were quite cool) would give them the memory of a good movie. For pretty much anyone else, and aside from those things, it was a laughable disaster of a film, repleat with racism, awful dialogue and acting, silly plot devices, and some of the most awful CGI characters ever conceived by man.

Anyone see In Time with Timberlake? It was one of those movies with a decent idea but pretty terrible execution. Obvious plot holes (why would the Timecatchers care if someone was stealing some rich asses time knowing full well they were hoarding it for themselves, and when they were in the same boat as the masses in that they got paid only one day for their work?; or, why would the poor with literally minutes to live everyday spend time drinking alcohol at a bar?), some shoddy CGI work (the car flip scene was hilariously bad) and some pretty poor acting by Timberlake (he's fine in a supporting role, definitely can not carry his own movie).

That and the whole final speech from the rich guy was the same speech he gave Timberlake's character at the beginning of the movie. That was the climax of the movie and he just repeated the same lines. Snooze.

Waste of $4 on Amazon. C-

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
Anyone see In Time with Timberlake? It was one of those movies with a decent idea but pretty terrible execution. Obvious plot holes (why would the Timecatchers care if someone was stealing some rich asses time knowing full well they were hoarding it for themselves, and when they were in the same boat as the masses in that they got paid only one day for their work?; or, why would the poor with literally minutes to live everyday spend time drinking alcohol at a bar?), some shoddy CGI work (the car flip scene was hilariously bad) and some pretty poor acting by Timberlake (he's fine in a supporting role, definitely can not carry his own movie).

That and the whole final speech from the rich guy was the same speech he gave Timberlake's character at the beginning of the movie. That was the climax of the movie and he just repeated the same lines. Snooze.

I posted a week or so ago how disappointed I was in that trash film.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)

Watched it on a plane last week, generally agreed.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 03:51 PM)
"Drive" was very good, very cool. I must really be getting old, though, because I absolutely hated the distracting soundtrack; it reminded me of a bad, late-nite cable 80's flick.

I think I'm in the minority but I thought that movie was way overrated. The death sequences were pretty neat, the cinematography was good, and the main bad dude who does voices in the Simpsons was great (and needs to be in more bad-guy movies). But the movie itself was just boring as hell. I think Gosling had, in all seriousness, 10 total lines the entire movie. He just kept staring into the camera. I didn't really care for the ending either.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
I think I'm in the minority but I thought that movie was way overrated. The death sequences were pretty neat, the cinematography was good, and the main bad dude who does voices in the Simpsons was great (and needs to be in more bad-guy movies). But the movie itself was just boring as hell. I think Gosling had, in all seriousness, 10 total lines the entire movie. He just kept staring into the camera. I didn't really care for the ending either.

Co-sign

This sums it up for me.

The first 10 minutes were great, but other than that it was pretty overrated.

It was supposed to have that minimalist feel, like a Steve McQueen movie mixed with the techno soundtrack.

Definitely not a movie for everyone, due to the violence. More of an artistic movie that critics mostly loved and audiences largely responded with a "ho-hum" to.

Also a movie produced with the idea of making Ryan Gosling "hip/cool/iconic," part of the current cultural zeitgeist.

You actually seem to be in the majority. I was surprised to see someone post such a positive review.