2012 Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
Where the hell were you?! I was getting massacred for that opinion.

I was probably jizzing all over DK at that point. It really was a "holy s*** that movie was great" movie. However, in hindsight, and having watched the movies on bluray quite a few times over the last few years, I prefer that Batman/Bruce Wayne-centric Batman Begins to the Joker-centric Dark Knight that rushed the story of Two Face and had way too little Bruce Wayne.

Then again, origin stories always rawk and it was so much fun to see them get Batman's origin right.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 03:49 PM)
I was probably jizzing all over DK at that point. It really was a "holy s*** that movie was great" movie. However, in hindsight, and having watched the movies on bluray quite a few times over the last few years, I prefer that Batman/Bruce Wayne-centric Batman Begins to the Joker-centric Dark Knight that rushed the story of Two Face and had way too little Bruce Wayne.

Then again, origin stories always rawk and it was so much fun to see them get Batman's origin right.

More than just back stories are better though. Dark Knight was about 20 minutes too long.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
Where the hell were you?! I was getting massacred for that opinion.

I remember getting s*** for not fapping to DK.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 06:04 PM)
More than just back stories are better though. Dark Knight was about 20 minutes too long.

On first viewing, DK was clearly better. That was a legitimate edge of seat thriller. You really were convinced you didn't know who would win. At about 1:30 my wife and I looked at each other and both of us were leaning towards the TV in anticipation of how the ending would go.

For the 30 viewings that happens when good movies get on cable, Returns works better.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 01:53 AM)
That Avengers trailer looks cool, but that's a really tough project. The lead up movies have all been good (other than Captain America, meh) so I'm still looking forward to it, but it's very hard to throw all these developed characters together and have a good story. Then again, I'd be happy if it was just a 90-minute fight scene with all those superheroes.

The one thing I have to agree with is in bold. Doing the Avengers right is a tough project, because it's way too easy to fall into the Star Wars 1-3 style "special effects are everything and the plot sucks" role.

Right now, the previews make it seem like it will be done right. All of the main characters seem to have a role...and the personalities seem to be conflicting in the way that you'd want, where it won't be easy to watch, where no one charachter will dominate everything, and where pulling off the "resistance" to whatever happens isn't some easy, effects ridden joke but is a major development that involves the fact that most of these guys are really human and have human frailtiies that you can explore.

We'll see if that holds true once the film comes out. It might be really hard to do in 2 hours without it turning cookie cutter. Hopefully they found the right director to do it (and they wont' be mad if it goes 2:20).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 07:21 PM)
We'll see if that holds true once the film comes out. It might be really hard to do in 2 hours without it turning cookie cutter. Hopefully they found the right director to do it (and they wont' be mad if it goes 2:20).

That's the thing. At least they've developed the characters, but they probably have to develop each character's relationship with every other character. That's incredibly hard to do while also intertwining a main plot that you care about.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 07:26 PM)
That's the thing. At least they've developed the characters, but they probably have to develop each character's relationship with every other character. That's incredibly hard to do while also intertwining a main plot that you care about.

They don't have to put excess effort into the relationship development because it will be ongoing past this movie. I think the relationships will all be rough in this movie, and the friction and friendships will be worked in in the Thor 2/Iron Man 3/Captain America 2/Hulk 2 movies. Then, the next Avengers movie it will be more refined.

Gotta wonder how far Marvel wants to take it. Will they allow a bad movie within the string of movies ruin the continuity and force some sort of reboot?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
They don't have to put excess effort into the relationship development because it will be ongoing past this movie. I think the relationships will all be rough in this movie, and the friction and friendships will be worked in in the Thor 2/Iron Man 3/Captain America 2/Hulk 2 movies. Then, the next Avengers movie it will be more refined.

P

Gotta wonder how far Marvel wants to take it. Will they allow a bad movie within the string of movies ruin the continuity and force some sort of reboot?

See, I almost dont want to see big crossovers in those next 4. They ought to work well on their own, without the other guys. Each is a strong character, don't rely on Stark to carry them all.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 09:02 PM)
See, I almost dont want to see big crossovers in those next 4. They ought to work well on their own, without the other guys. Each is a strong character, don't rely on Stark to carry them all.

It depends on how they want to present the narrative of the greater story. They certainly can have a one-off adventure for any character, but the relationship between the characters is already being developed, it has to continue. That doesn't mean Captain America has to have a team up with the hulk or whatever, but I think we will see a lot of communication between the characters going forward.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 07:17 PM)
On first viewing, DK was clearly better. That was a legitimate edge of seat thriller. You really were convinced you didn't know who would win. At about 1:30 my wife and I looked at each other and both of us were leaning towards the TV in anticipation of how the ending would go.

For the 30 viewings that happens when good movies get on cable, Returns works better.

Returns??? :lolhitting

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
Begins.

4 beers.

Returns is forgiveable. If you would have said Forever or & Robin, well, you would be perma-banned from this thread and all film related threads

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)
The makers of Batman Forever and Batman + Robin should be arrested for crimes against humanity.

I thought Batman Returns was ok. I watched it the other day and it holds up ok.

That would be Joel Schumacher. He drew all of his inspiration from bondage videos and the 50's show with West and Burton. And I'm not kidding about the bondage videos, I took a visual literacy class in college where we went over the costumes and the videos that inspired them.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
That would be Joel Schumacher. He drew all of his inspiration from bondage videos and the 50's show with West and Burton. And I'm not kidding about the bondage videos, I took a visual literacy class in college where we went over the costumes and the videos that inspired them.

That sounds like a class that paid real dividends.

f***ing college.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)

They definitely felt like the 50's tv show.

Batman is just so different now from the comics of the 50's and 60's.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
I also got an A in Bowling - at NIU.

f***ing college.

I got an A in basketball, tennis and bowling at U of I. loved those classes

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
If you would have said Forever or & Robin, well, you would be perma-banned from this thread and all film related threads

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
The makers of Batman Forever and Batman + Robin should be arrested for crimes against humanity.

A BAT-CREDIT CARD?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)
That sounds like a class that paid real dividends.

f***ing college.

It was a fascinating class. It looked into a lot of the little indicators in commercials and movies that make your mind turn, it made you think about tv in a very different way. This was a small part of the class, and it focused on how Schumacher used sex to sell Batman. Particularly homosexuality, because of the Batman/Robin dynamic and the way it was presented both in the 50s(hey Robin, whats with the green underwear and tan tights?) and the Batman Forever and especially Batman and Robin costumes(nipples, emphasis on the musculature of the upper body, the "briefs" part of the costume which was basically a metal jockstrap).

It was a much more in depth class than you think