2012 Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
I haven't seen the one that is out now, but I've seen all the rest... and that is one of the few things I' dsay they have definitely kept. Did that suddenly vanish in the new one?

There's no car chase on an ice palace against a giant space laser if that's what he's after.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 08:53 PM)
I must be in the minority, but SKYFALL was mostly boring. The last 45 was great but the rest, outside of the open, was just ugh.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
It was a very flat story; too bare-bones to be a James Bond movie.

The Bourne movies have been better.

drugs are not good for you, gentlemen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 08:40 AM)
There's no car chase on an ice palace against a giant space laser if that's what he's after.

They kept the outlandish, but surrounded it in a bit of realism to make some of the best Bond films ever.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 08:40 AM)

Bond has adjusted with the times. The Connery and Moore ones will obviously seem the most "fanciful and outlandish" when viewed by the prism of our current standards for gritty/realistic filmmaking as perfected by Greengrass and Nolan.

Timothy Dalton's Bond movies actually fit this realistic mold, but they were too abrupt a departure from the Roger Moore style for many...and then something about Pierce Brosnan doesn't allow you to take him quite seriously, although he's actually evolved into a much better actor in the last decade of his career.

Maybe you can make an argument that comic-book movies like Captain America, Green Hornet and Thor have appropriated a little of that fanciful and outlandish side for themselves....and pushed Bond in another direction. A lot of movie critics attribute this almost exclusively to the pressure from the 3 Bourne/Damon movies, but it's more than that, IMO. There's clearly space in the marketplace for both, and Skyfall proves that.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)
My buddy in Austin got to see it last night and said its "jaw dropping". Can't wait!

I really dislike Quentin Tarantino, and refuse to see most of his movies, but Leo looks awesome in the trailers. I may secretly watch this one online and not tell my friend who worships Tarantino.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 12:48 AM)
This is odd to me.

It's not a great reason, but he is such a weird and creepy guy, and parts of his movies I have seen were just over the top and looked ridiculous. And it probably had something to do with my best friend being obsessed with any movie he makes, so I got sick of him. I mean, my buddy has figurines and action figures and movie posters from Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Grindhouse, Inglorious Basterds, and I've been in the same room as him to see or hear him watch the Django Unchained trailers at least 7 times. His sick obsession probably put me off the most.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 01:47 AM)
It's not a great reason, but he is such a weird and creepy guy, and parts of his movies I have seen were just over the top and looked ridiculous. And it probably had something to do with my best friend being obsessed with any movie he makes, so I got sick of him. I mean, my buddy has figurines and action figures and movie posters from Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Grindhouse, Inglorious Basterds, and I've been in the same room as him to see or hear him watch the Django Unchained trailers at least 7 times. His sick obsession probably put me off the most.

I know you can't read this, but I'll post this anyway. You should try to care about what other people do less. It'll help moving forward. You should also see some Tarantino movies before deciding whether you will or won't like them.

They are nice and different.

I'm not a big Tarentino fan either. I still maintain Pulp Fiction is overrated and is sort of a bore to sit through. Reservoir Dogs was amazing, but I dunno, the rest have been meh. Kill Bill was ruined with his obsession for the gross out, and Bastards was fine but again nothing spectacular. I'll be renting Django for sure, but I feel like the hype is a lot like Bastards so I don't think i'll see it in theaters. Much like Woody Allen, I think people become a fan of the style and then so long as the movie isn't total crap it becomes highly reviewed. But highly reviewed often times means you have to be in the right mood and/or like the style to begin with to really enjoy the film. Tarentino always goes for the "B" movie style that I've never liked.

In other news, I just read a good review of Zero Dark Thirty. Can't wait to check that out.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 01:33 AM)
James Bond movies are supposed to be fanciful and outlandish. They've gotten rid of that.

The Bourne movies have done what the most recent Bond movies have done - they've just done it better.

That's actually what I liked about Skyfall and why it's one of my favorite Bond movies ever. You still have crazy good action sequences, but there was some actual meat on the movie bones. There was some emotion at play instead of just shooting guns, driving cool cars and banging hot chicks (though there still is all of that in Skyfall)

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 04:43 PM)
I watched Ted last night, what a disappointment, although I should have expected that from Family Guy's downslide. It might have been better if 80% if the funny jokes weren't in the trailer.

What a coincidence, I too watched Ted last night. It was a decent comedy I thought. I loved the part where Ted sings Karaoke about the 90's bands, because that's EXACTLY how I sing most songs from the 90s, or anything by Pearl Jam, Creed, Nickleback, etc. I had to stop the movie immediately and find a clip of it online to send to my friends. Hah.

Had some good stuff though, I liked it, but I'm glad I didn't pay to see it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 09:05 PM)
Having a multipage facebook discussion with a buddy of mine on the Hobbit. He was disappointed, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As a major Tolkienista (yes, there is a word for those of us), I loved it.

Radagast had me in stitches.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
After 16 reviews, Django Unchained at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

After Dark Knight Rises, this is the one I've been waiting for in 2012. Well, Great Gatsby too, but that was pushed back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 09:05 PM)
Having a multipage facebook discussion with a buddy of mine on the Hobbit. He was disappointed, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Hobbit was another movie I was really looking forward to. Saw it last night, and greatly enjoyed it. I figured it would be good, but it surpassed my expectations. I'm happy there are two more of these coming. It's relatively early, and I'm still kind of digesting/processing what I watched, but

The Mountain Giant scene is one of the coolest scenes not just from this movie, but from the Lord of the Rings trilogy as well.

I've never seen a 3D movie. Since I'm planning on seeing it again, I might take a gander at the 3D version of this movie.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

I'm not a huge fan of Tarantino either. It has nothing to do with him personally though. He's a copy cat artist. He just mimics his favorite film makers and combines them into one film. Pulp Fiction was amazing and featured outstanding performances by some outstanding actors. I liked Jackie Brown, but have been disappointed in pretty much everything else. Some people find him to be completely original, but I feel his films lack imagination.