2012 Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
After Dark Knight Rises, this is the one I've been waiting for in 2012. Well, Great Gatsby too, but that was pushed back.

The Hobbit was another movie I was really looking forward to. Saw it last night, and greatly enjoyed it. I figured it would be good, but it surpassed my expectations. I'm happy there are two more of these coming. It's relatively early, and I'm still kind of digesting/processing what I watched, but

The Mountain Giant scene is one of the coolest scenes not just from this movie, but from the Lord of the Rings trilogy as well.

I've never seen a 3D movie. Since I'm planning on seeing it again, I might take a gander at the 3D version of this movie.

My only complaints were Azog and Gorkil being noticeable CGI (in LOTR they would have been actors in makeup)and Sauron looking like a cheap special effect.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
I'm not a huge fan of Tarantino either. It has nothing to do with him personally though. He's a copy cat artist. He just mimics his favorite film makers and combines them into one film. Pulp Fiction was amazing and featured outstanding performances by some outstanding actors. I liked Jackie Brown, but have been disappointed in pretty much everything else. Some people find him to be completely original, but I feel his films lack imagination.

There is an argument in my field of study (Cinema and Media Studies) that says this is all anybody can do.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
There is an argument in my field of study (Cinema and Media Studies) that says this is all anybody can do.

You beat me to it. He even admits homages. Their really is no originaly filmmaker anymore. The last original one may have been Scorsese back in the day but even he had influences.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 10:56 PM)

My only complaints were Azog and Gorkil being noticeable CGI (in LOTR they would have been actors in makeup)and Sauron looking like a cheap special effect.

I think part of the problem is that the extra fps rate actually makes the CGI a bit more noticeable, even though it makes the stuff actually filmed look so much better.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 06:53 AM)
You beat me to it. He even admits homages. Their really is no originaly filmmaker anymore. The last original one may have been Scorsese back in the day but even he had influences.

There's a difference between influence and plagiarism. With Tarantino, elements of his films are blatant copies. He is open about it. I think he brings out the best in his actor's performances. I just don't particularly care for his films. I'm obviously not as big a film buff as most of you, but I'd say there are still film makers that are original ie. Larry Clark, Danny Boyle, Nick Cave ( as a writer, maybe a stretch).

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 08:53 PM)
I must be in the minority, but SKYFALL was mostly boring. The last 45 was great but the rest, outside of the open, was just ugh.

I thought it was great. Easily in the top five of the all-time series. I am glad they ditched all the silly, outlandish stuff, yet still gave a few winks and nods to some classic hallmarks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)

'Are You The 1701' Trek Viral Site Discovered in 'Into Darkness' Trailer

Are you in the 1701? Now what do we have here, J.J.? Hidden in the full teaser trailer that debuted today is a viral website URL. I missed it the first few times and only caught it thanks to TrekMovie pointing it out. The text is hidden in the scene where we see villain Benedict Cumberbatch in the glass prison saying, "You think you're safe... you are not." The URL appears on the right control panel in the HD version from Apple around 01:07. It points to the site called Are You The 1701?, with a viral sign-up and logo and not much more. An early tease, but at least it means there is a viral brewing for J.J.'s Star Trek Into Darkness!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 08:11 AM)

I think part of the problem is that the extra fps rate actually makes the CGI a bit more noticeable, even though it makes the stuff actually filmed look so much better.

I saw it in 24 FPS I think, but it was much more noticeable. The LOTR movies had the best special effects ever in my opinion because they didn't use CGI if they didn't have to. Hobbits weren't, dwarves weren't. Giant sets were made, miniatures were made. Dale was clearly CGI and it would have been a miniature. Same thing with Erebor. Gollum looked real though, so not sure why the Great Goblin and Azog couldn't. Nitpicking though, cause it was awesome.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 08:11 AM)
There's a difference between influence and plagiarism. With Tarantino, elements of his films are blatant copies. He is open about it. I think he brings out the best in his actor's performances. I just don't particularly care for his films. I'm obviously not as big a film buff as most of you, but I'd say there are still film makers that are original ie. Larry Clark, Danny Boyle, Nick Cave ( as a writer, maybe a stretch).

The idea is that this kind of blatant stealing is the only honest way to do it. Everyone else blankets their stealing in subtle plot variations, etc. It's a very postmodern perspective and honestly can get tiring. Worth thinking about though. In the end, what we now perceive as originality is in fact just a new combination of stolen parts.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
I watched Ted last night, what a disappointment, although I should have expected that from Family Guy's downslide. It might have been better if 80% if the funny jokes weren't in the trailer.

Finally someone else who agrees with me. Movie was awful.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 07:35 PM)
Zero Dark Thirty. Opens Wednesday 12/19 at very few select theaters. I snoozed on tickets, where can I find some?

The only place I see it playing near me, is in Lombard on Wed at 7pm. And Lombard isn't even that close to me.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 09:38 PM)
Finally someone else who agrees with me. Movie was awful.

I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as most people. I don't think it was awful but it was highly overrated.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 03:56 AM)
The only place I see it playing near me, is in Lombard on Wed at 7pm. And Lombard isn't even that close to me.

Yup, tickets are sold out and movie doesn't open anywhere else until January 11.

Gotta wait I guess, I realize this movie will be criticized and controversial (because of OBL and torture interrogation methods) but it's getting great reviews so far.

interesting. I hated family guy but the positivity surrounding Ted made me think it was legitimately funny. It wouldn't surprise me, though it would have spawned with McFarlane, hollywood movies get touched by many different hands.

But , I guess I'll skip it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)
interesting. I hated family guy but the positivity surrounding Ted made me think it was legitimately funny. It wouldn't surprise me, though it would have spawned with McFarlane, hollywood movies get touched by many different hands.

But , I guess I'll skip it.

It was funny, comparing to some other comedies that came out recently it was actually good imho.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)

I saw it in 24 FPS I think, but it was much more noticeable. The LOTR movies had the best special effects ever in my opinion because they didn't use CGI if they didn't have to. Hobbits weren't, dwarves weren't. Giant sets were made, miniatures were made. Dale was clearly CGI and it would have been a miniature. Same thing with Erebor. Gollum looked real though, so not sure why the Great Goblin and Azog couldn't. Nitpicking though, cause it was awesome.

I saw The Hobbit in 3D HFR and I thought it looked amazing. The way the movie looked, *everything* had a kind of fantasy 'gloss' over it, including the real actors and sets, so even though there was a lot of CGI, it didn't feel fake next to the real things.

Life of Pi was easily one of the most impactful films I've ever seen. It's life affirming, while simultaneously challenging everything you believe in (or in my case don't believe in). World view, consider yourself shifted.