2012 Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (mumbles3k @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 05:56 PM)
But if you take out Knight and Day, we're left with Walk the Line and 3:10 to Yuma, both of which were crap. So I don't know...

Really? I thought 3:10 was one of the better westerns in the past decade, and Walk the Line was pretty good too. Knight and Day was pretty awful, the dialogue was just painful in places, and I thought the acting was as well. Action scenes were nicely done though.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mumbles3k @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 03:08 AM)
X2

First Class

X-Men

Last Stand

Wolverine

I watched STAR WARS: EPISODE I - THE PHANTOM MENACE in 3D. They did a pretty good job with it. The action sequences and landscapes look nice. Closeups are a bit of a problem. These converters need to tone it down when it comes to people faces. There's just not that much dimensionality if you're not in an extreme closeup. But on the whole, I'd recommend it. Just seeing a Star Wars movie on the big screen is worth it.

I also saw SAFE HOUSE. That movie is a mess. It wants so badly to be a Bourne movie. Unfortunately, it lacks things like intelligence, a cohesive visual style, and an interesting narrative structure. So that leaves impossible to follow action sequences, and lots of people pointing guns at each other. Sorry, not enough to sustain 2 hours.

Episode I was such a train wreck of a movie in 2D, I just can't see spending money to see it in 3D. That movie was so very disappointing - awful CGI, some terrible acting, painful dialogue, and outright racism. That film did only two things well: the light saber fight seen with Sidius, Obi Wan and Jin... and the racing scenes. Everything else was the most expensive piece of garbage film ever made to that date.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
Episode I was such a train wreck of a movie in 2D, I just can't see spending money to see it in 3D. That movie was so very disappointing - awful CGI, some terrible acting, painful dialogue, and outright racism. That film did only two things well: the light saber fight seen with Sidius, Obi Wan and Jin... and the racing scenes. Everything else was the most expensive piece of garbage film ever made to that date.

it's Maul who's in the fight scene, not Sidious, who is "The Phantom Menace".

Yes the movie wasn't that great but I still enjoy seeing a SW film in the theater so I will go see this, in part to support the rest of the films being released in 3-D for the next 5 years.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)

Yes the movie wasn't that great but I still enjoy seeing a SW film in the theater so I will go see this, in part to support the rest of the films being released in 3-D for the next 5 years.

Don't even want to see the good 3, because I'm scared of what else will change.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 12:00 PM)

Which one are you saying is the phantom menace? You phrased it awkwardly.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
Which one are you saying is the phantom menace? You phrased it awkwardly.

Darth Maul fights Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon

Darth Sidious/Palpatine is the Phantom Menace

How would people rank the prequels? I honestly can't definitively make a list, as they were all sub-par at the very best, but I'd say:

Revenge Of The Sith

The Phantom Menace

Attack Of The Clones

I haven't seen any of them all the way through in years, though, so I might need to update that if I see them again.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)
Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

The Phantom Menace

I personally think 2 and 3 receive a lot of unnecessary heat because of the Jar Jar issue in 1.

I can't remember almost anything from Attack Of The Clones, which might be why I view it so low.

Now I think I'm going to rent these movies.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)
Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

The Phantom Menace

I personally think 2 and 3 receive a lot of unnecessary heat because of the Jar Jar issue in 1.

Yeah 2 and 3 were very good action movies. They didn't have the charm of the originals, but visually they were great.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 12:06 AM)

I don't think it has anything to do with Jar Jar. They've got awful dialogue (PLEAAAASE fast-forward any scene with Padme and Anakin) and lack memorable moments. The most memorable is Vader's "NOOOOOOOOOOOO", and only because it's so laughable.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
How would people rank the prequels? I honestly can't definitively make a list, as they were all sub-par at the very best, but I'd say:

Revenge Of The Sith

The Phantom Menace

Attack Of The Clones

I haven't seen any of them all the way through in years, though, so I might need to update that if I see them again.

It's like some kind of reverse sophie's choice.

The whole premise behind Phantom Menace's plot (trade tariffs!!!) puts it out in front as the worst, I think.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 07:51 PM)
I don't think it has anything to do with Jar Jar. They've got awful dialogue (PLEAAAASE fast-forward any scene with Padme and Anakin) and lack memorable moments. The most memorable is Vader's "NOOOOOOOOOOOO", and only because it's so laughable.

Yeah, the romantic dialog is just the most awkward, poorly written, painful bit of the whole series. Jarjar is more coherent.

Well the whole romance was awkward because Ani was like 9 when he meets Padame? I mean thats a seriously messed up relationship. Imagine ending up married to your babysitter.

And Star Wars is all about awkward romance, you know the whole Luke/Leah thing.

In terms of dialogue, I dont really remember any of them being amazing literary works.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 08:44 PM)
Well the whole romance was awkward because Ani was like 9 when he meets Padame? I mean thats a seriously messed up relationship. Imagine ending up married to your babysitter.

And Star Wars is all about awkward romance, you know the whole Luke/Leah thing.

In terms of dialogue, I dont really remember any of them being amazing literary works.

The part where he's 18 ish and they flirt on Naboo? My God, awful.