2012 Films Thread

knightni

I made a Hans Zimmer playlist to listen to while a workout. It's incredible. If anyone has any suggestions, pleas let me know. I've got music from Inception, The Dark Knight, Pirates of the Caribbean, Lion King, Cool Runnings, The DaVinci Code and Gladiator.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 12:18 AM)
I made a Hans Zimmer playlist to listen to while a workout. It's incredible. If anyone has any suggestions, pleas let me know. I've got music from Inception, The Dark Knight, Pirates of the Caribbean, Lion King, Cool Runnings, The DaVinci Code and Gladiator.

lame

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 12:18 AM)

Another Zimmer fave of mine: Backdraft. Got some pretty inspiring tracks on it.

And if you like big soundtrack scores like that, also look for Klaus Bedalt (who actually did POTC - not Zimmer). And try the Tron soundtrack, which is a mix of techno and orchestral stuff from Daft Punk. The soundtrack from The Saint is also great for workouts, same with The Matrix (both albums).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
Another Zimmer fave of mine: Backdraft. Got some pretty inspiring tracks on it.

And if you like big soundtrack scores like that, also look for Klaus Bedalt (who actually did POTC - not Zimmer). And try the Tron soundtrack, which is a mix of techno and orchestral stuff from Daft Punk. The soundtrack from The Saint is also great for workouts, same with The Matrix (both albums).

Klaus Badelt composed the song that was in POTC and remixed into the song they played during the WS montage prior to games.

The Saint soundtrack is indeed a good one.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
Klaus Badelt composed the song that was in POTC and remixed into the song they played during the WS montage prior to games.

The Saint soundtrack is indeed a good one.

Yup, I believe the POTC music you hear at Sox games is a combo from two tracks on that album: Swords Crossed and... something else, forget which.

Bedalt's stuff sounds a lot like Zimmer's, and I am pretty sure that he is Zimmer's student.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
Yup, I believe the POTC music you hear at Sox games is a combo from two tracks on that album: Swords Crossed and... something else, forget which.

Edited by Felix

So is "Harrow's Way" a piece of music that is owned by the WWE? Also, is it available for purchase anywhere? The only other place I've ever heard it is over the DVD menu for NETWORK.

SoxFan1, CHRONICLE is substantially better than THE GREY. Although, the best thing out right now is easily HAYWIRE. Soderbergh's the bomb.

QUOTE (mumbles3k @ Feb 4, 2012 -> 12:25 AM)
So is "Harrow's Way" a piece of music that is owned by the WWE? Also, is it available for purchase anywhere? The only other place I've ever heard it is over the DVD menu for NETWORK.

SoxFan1, CHRONICLE is substantially better than THE GREY. Although, the best thing out right now is easily HAYWIRE. Soderbergh's the bomb.

Hmm, my sister suggested Haywire and I scoffed when I saw it had Channing Tatum and Antonio Banderas. Trailer looks pretty cool. Seems like a woman version of the Bourne movies.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 4, 2012 -> 01:06 AM)
Hmm, my sister suggested Haywire and I scoffed when I saw it had Channing Tatum and Antonio Banderas. Trailer looks pretty cool. Seems like a woman version of the Bourne movies.

Yeah, imagine a Bourne movie by the guy who did TRAFFIC and CONTAGION. Soderbergh always goes for super realism, so HAYWIRE is essentially a globetrotting spy movie, but with incredibly believable action sequences.

That's why he cast Gina Carano, who is apparently a mixed martial artist? He wanted her to be able to do all her own stunts, and to be completely convincing. And yes, it's her first movie, but she's really good.

So is the rest of the cast too. I don't know, I can see not liking Tatum because he tends to be in really bad movies and because his neck is bigger than my thigh. But he's a good actor when he has something to work with. I think Banderas is just flat out great. But even if you don't like those guys, they're barely in it. Carano really carries the movie, and everyone else just kind of comes and goes.

So yeah, go see HAYWIRE. I've seen it twice now, and the more I think about it, the more I like it. It's badass.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 4, 2012 -> 08:03 AM)
Goosebumps go away yet?

I liked it, but it definitely had a few things going against it. Besides it being saccharine during the last half, almost all of the fights were ridiculously fake. They should have just modeled the fights after real MMA fights (like punch for punch). There was just way too many power bombs, suplexes, and over-the-top take downs for me to really take it seriously. Plus, it really didn't need the school teacher to beat the universally agreed-upon greatest fighter in history that's also undefeated. A guy like that simply winning a professional MMA tournament is plenty.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 4, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
I have to re-watch it again cause I do remember some of the fight scenes being a little over the top but powerbombs do happen every now and than in mma and Rich Franklin was a school teacher before he became a fighter so ya...

Those things happen now and then, yes. But the movie was constant things like that. Think of Varsity Blues or something with the repeated crazy hits and such. And again, I said it would be enough to have the teacher win an official MMA tournament for it to be a cool story. Having that guy also beat the undefeated "greatest wrestler of all time" as well was the part that was totally unnecessary.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 4, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
I liked it, but it definitely had a few things going against it. Besides it being saccharine during the last half, almost all of the fights were ridiculously fake. They should have just modeled the fights after real MMA fights (like punch for punch). There was just way too many power bombs, suplexes, and over-the-top take downs for me to really take it seriously. Plus, it really didn't need the school teacher to beat the universally agreed-upon greatest fighter in history that's also undefeated. A guy like that simply winning a professional MMA tournament is plenty.

I agree. It kept my attention and was entertaining but as I was watching it I just kept thinking how unlikely the whole thing was.