2012 Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 08:32 PM)
Life of Pi was easily one of the most impactful films I've ever seen. It's life affirming, while simultaneously challenging everything you believe in (or in my case don't believe in). World view, consider yourself shifted.

This is exactly how I felt after "Elf".

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 09:32 PM)
Life of Pi was easily one of the most impactful films I've ever seen. It's life affirming, while simultaneously challenging everything you believe in (or in my case don't believe in). World view, consider yourself shifted.

Can you explain a bit more?

I've seen it in 3D (Chinese), online and read the book, just curious what you mean "challenges everything you believe in" as it was a work of fiction, in the end.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 12:06 AM)
Can you explain a bit more?

I've seen it in 3D (Chinese), online and read the book, just curious what you mean "challenges everything you believe in" as it was a work of fiction, in the end.

As someone who doesn't believe in God, it gave me the best argument I've ever heard that I should. And it did so with one sentence. More than that, it WORKS because the movie doesn't preach. My reaction isnt really the POINT of it. The point, to me, is that -

at the end of the day - we're all just here on this planet to tell stories. The stories we weave are what give our lives meaning. And as an actor and storyteller, you can understand why that resonates.

:)

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 02:47 AM)
Don't set the bar too high.

I thought that the story line would have been more solid considering its based on the books but there was a whole lot that just made me laugh out loud. Particularly some of the stuff from the lawyer chick.

It was okay as a whole though.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
I thought that the story line would have been more solid considering its based on the books but there was a whole lot that just made me laugh out loud. Particularly some of the stuff from the lawyer chick.

It wasn't terrible, 'okay' is probably a good way to rate it.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)

There was a serious scene where she leans forward on a table and her boobs hang down. I spontaneously said, "Wow!" Then, I realized that I brought my girlfriend with me to the movie. Whoops!

It's strange that movies now have to be closer to 3 hours than 2 hours. They crank up the price of movie tickets, then cut less (usually unnecessary) film than they used to to give us more bang for our buck, but then they have fewer screenings.

I'd rather, except for epic films such as DKR or whatever, they cut this s*** to 2 hours and give me more screening options. On Christmas night, the women of the family were supposed to go see "Les Miserables" while the guys hung out, but the only options were three showings between 6 and 6:30 or three showings between 10 and 11.

Strange. A 7:30 or 8 would have been perfect for the group.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 27, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
It's strange that movies now have to be closer to 3 hours than 2 hours. They crank up the price of movie tickets, then cut less (usually unnecessary) film than they used to to give us more bang for our buck, but then they have fewer screenings.

I'd rather, except for epic films such as DKR or whatever, they cut this s*** to 2 hours and give me more screening options. On Christmas night, the women of the family were supposed to go see "Les Miserables" while the guys hung out, but the only options were three showings between 6 and 6:30 or three showings between 10 and 11.

I only go see movies in the theater that I want to get the full 3d/imax experience for. If I am going to be ripped off watching a movie, I might as well spend the extra three bucks and get the full experience.

The last movie I saw was Paranorman with my Brother in law, neices, nephew, daughter, and neighbor and their 5 year old. Saw TDKR, Avengers and Spiderman in 3D and Imax as well. Everything else I just wait for it to hit On Demand

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 27, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)

Isn't Les Mis like a 3 hour broadway production in real life?

Went to see Les Mis a couple days ago. I was skeptical that the intimacy of Broadway could translate to the screen and the casting had me scratching my head, but it all worked. The emotions seemed more understated to me that a live performance, but still a great was to spend three hours.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
There was a serious scene where she leans forward on a table and her boobs hang down. I spontaneously said, "Wow!" Then, I realized that I brought my girlfriend with me to the movie. Whoops!

Yeah, I agree, but I am sure our girlfriends were ooogling Tom Cruise the whole movie too, so no harm done.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
Went to see Les Mis a couple days ago. I was skeptical that the intimacy of Broadway could translate to the screen and the casting had me scratching my head, but it all worked. The emotions seemed more understated to me that a live performance, but still a great was to spend three hours.

Ugh. It so didn't work. Jackman and Tveit (Enjolras) were great. Hathaway and the girl playing Eponine were really good. Everyone else was just awful. Amanda Seyfried was disgustingly bad, and Crowe was working so hard to sing that he forgot he was also supposed to be acting. I also felt the cinematography and direction were just odd. Like he was trying to capture the "standing on stage and singing out to the audience" feeling in a more intimate way... it ended up with us just staring up their noses while they looked right past the camera... just felt weird to me.

I liked it less than I liked the Phantom movie a few years back.