A move that makes sense...

Capn12

Well, it appears that our soon-to-be roster move of adding Cotts to the MLB roster is a good fit. #1 it gives us another lefty in the rotation, albeit not in the right place (see below); #2 It keeps Danny Wright out of the rotation, and in the bullpen where he could be more effective.

There is much good to come out of the move, as long as they leave it this way. Wright gives us the righty long relief guy we DESPERATELY needed to replace Rick White. He gies us righties in the Pen consisting of Koch, Wright and Gordon. And then we have 3 lefties as well, Marte, Wunsch, and Schoeneweis. That bullpen makes me MUCH happier than previous versions this year.

Now, we have 2 lefties in the starting rotation...signifigant advantage IMO. BUT, here inlies the problem...we have them both back to back. When an off day comes, and gives us the chance to realign the rotation, I am sincerely hoping that we do so. My belief is that Cotts and Buehrle would be MOST effective with Colon going between them. There are few teams in MLB that could successfully adjust to facing a control lefty, followed by a power dominant righty, followed by a finesse lefty again. There would be some seriously bad swings being taken. So, it is my hopes that this can soon be done.

Your thoughts?

Well, it appears that our soon-to-be roster move of adding Cotts to the MLB roster is a good fit. #1 it gives us another lefty in the rotation, albeit not in the right place (see below); #2 It keeps Danny Wright out of the rotation, and in the bullpen where he could be more effective.

There is much good to come out of the move, as long as they leave it this way. Wright gives us the righty long relief guy we DESPERATELY needed to replace Rick White. He gies us righties in the Pen consisting of Koch, Wright and Gordon. And then we have 3 lefties as well, Marte, Wunsch, and Schoeneweis. That bullpen makes me MUCH happier than previous versions this year.

Now, we have 2 lefties in the starting rotation...signifigant advantage IMO. BUT, here inlies the problem...we have them both back to back. When an off day comes, and gives us the chance to realign the rotation, I am sincerely hoping that we do so. My belief is that Cotts and Buehrle would be MOST effective with Colon going between them. There are few teams in MLB that could successfully adjust to facing a control lefty, followed by a power dominant righty, followed by a finesse lefty again. There would be some seriously bad swings being taken. So, it is my hopes that this can soon be done.

Your thoughts?

is this all null and void if Cotts comes up and gets smoked in his debut?

I agree with separating the lefties

As far as Wright goes, could he possibly be used as righthanded setup, not long relief only? I mean, if Gordon and Marte keep closing/setting up, we are gonna need another righty arm down there to use in the 7th, 8th innings, and it's not Koch at this point. Maybe he could be good for that first inning he comes in (his numbers back it up)

One thing is though that Buehrle is not a strikeout pitcher where as Cotts is.. So maybe it wouldnt be that bad, but I agree that Colon should be between them, it would really mess up hitters to see 88-90, 95+, 88-90

No scheduled off days until Aug. 25 -- before the trip to Yankee Stadium. 14 games in 14 days against the Angels and Rangers -- two teams with losing records. So Cotts figures to start three times (Tuesday, Sunday at Texas and the following Friday against Texas in his home debut) before they can be spaced.

I agreed it would be better to separte Buehrle and Cotts. It's simply unfortunate timing that it can't be done now. Only way to change that would be to start Wright instead of Cotts on Sunday. Wright is 1-0 lifetime against Texas, allowing only five hits in nine innings.

But first, Cotts has to deliver at least five solid innings tomorrow.

Nooo, first Bartolo needs to deliver tonight.

I hope all u guys r right about Cotts. According to most of u folks he's our version of Mark Prior. I know he's put up some really good numbers this year. I personally have never seen him pitch. I'm really lookin forward to seing him tomorrow night. If he's as good as advertised we could have a DEVESTATING starting rotation...

Well it's hard to say til we see him pitch but their(Buehrle and Cotts') styles may be very different. Even if they're similar they could compliment each other if Cotts doesn't throw a cutter, that could make Mark's cutter even more effective.

Btw, there is a seperation if Neal pitches the last game of the Texas series and Mark is pitching the first game of the Yankee series and does it really matter if they are throwing back to back vs the Tiggers?

I hope all u guys r right about Cotts.  According to most of u folks he's our version of Mark Prior.  I know he's put up some really good numbers this year.  I personally have never seen him pitch.  I'm really lookin forward to seing him tomorrow night.  If he's as good as advertised we could have a DEVESTATING starting rotation...

Another Mark Prior is too much to hope for. Lower your expectations or I believe you'll be somewhat disappointed.

I hope all u guys r right about Cotts.  According to most of u folks he's our version of Mark Prior.  I know he's put up some really good numbers this year.  I personally have never seen him pitch.  I'm really lookin forward to seing him tomorrow night.  If he's as good as advertised we could have a DEVESTATING starting rotation...

I have been the one touting Neal the most and never have I made comparisons such as "he's our Mark Prior".

I think Neal will be good and I think he is ready for the Majors, but let's keep expectationsin perspective. Neal has lots of potential, but let's not get carried away.

It would be nice to separate them, but really, if you make your pitches, it doesn't matter who pitched yesterday or who pitches tomorrow. Here's hoping Cottsy is lights out.

I can't agree more.

I understand where everyone is coming from - keeping the oposition off balance - but really, if he does his job and hits his spots and doesn't get rattled, he'll be OK.