2012 TV Thread

knightni

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was a big fan of Spartacus: Blood and Sand, but I missed the premier of Gods of the Arena when it was first airing. I managed to DVR the last 5 episodes of the season, but Starz did not air the first episode again after the initial airing. I had it in my Blockbuster queue for months but it was always a "very long wait." Finally I found it on iTunes and watched it on Apple tv. Finally, I was able to get going on this damned series...it's been pretty good, but a lot of the plotlines seem to be recycled from the Blood and Sand.

Vengeance started last week so I will be excited to get into that once I finish the finale of Gods of the Arena tonight.

I do miss Andy Whitfield. :(

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 10:33 PM)
Shameless was great tonight. I'm glad Carl and Ethel are starting to get more storylines.

Didnt need to see that dude's shlong. Self esteem low enough.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 07:48 AM)
So I was a big fan of Spartacus: Blood and Sand, but I missed the premier of Gods of the Arena when it was first airing. I managed to DVR the last 5 episodes of the season, but Starz did not air the first episode again after the initial airing. I had it in my Blockbuster queue for months but it was always a "very long wait." Finally I found it on iTunes and watched it on Apple tv. Finally, I was able to get going on this damned series...it's been pretty good, but a lot of the plotlines seem to be recycled from the Blood and Sand.

Vengeance started last week so I will be excited to get into that once I finish the finale of Gods of the Arena tonight.

I checked out the new one last night. Lots of TnA and cool fight scenes but the acting and plotlines are still pretty bad. I'll do what I did with Blood and Sand - keep a bunch on the DVR and then make a marathon of it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
I checked out the new one last night. Lots of TnA and cool fight scenes but the acting and plotlines are still pretty bad. I'll do what I did with Blood and Sand - keep a bunch on the DVR and then make a marathon of it.

Yeah, that's what I do with them too...I laugh my ass off at the dialogue...Imagine if you played a drinking game where you took a shot every time they said the word "cock." You'd be hammered after 15 minutes.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 07:48 AM)

I tried watching that show, but I couldn't get through it. A bit too violent for my taste (and one of my favorite movies is 300) and vulgar. The episode where they castrated the guy and showed you was the final straw for me. Something good needed to start happening. It was just a bunch of a-holes pushing people around with limited story development.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
Did anyone watch 'Luck' last night and have a review? I can't decide if I want to bother.

I couldn't get into it. Struggled to make it through the hour. If it gets good, I'll watch it on demand but not sticking with it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
Did anyone watch 'Luck' last night and have a review? I can't decide if I want to bother.

I thought it was OK, but nothing special and I'm kind of into horse racing too. It may just be a slow developer like Boardwalk was, but right now I'd say you aren't missing much. I'll probably give it a few weeks to see if it picks up at all.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
My wife posed an interesting question to me last night about Alcatraz: how do they always get called to the scene of these crimes when Garcia's character, and maybe Neal's character, are the only ones that know of the prisoner's quirks?

These episodes it has sorta worked. In the child abductor episode, The Prof. was listening to a police scanner and recognized the pattern. In the sniper episode, a sniper in a major city is going to go out to everyone, so that's an easy one to respond to. I believe last night was again the professor recognizing a pattern based on a police report of a guy having robbed 2 banks but only stealing items from a safety deposit box. The first one, IIRC, had his first victim being a guy who had worked at Alcatraz and harassed that particular prisoner to the point of wanting revenge 30 years later.

It could strain reality but so far these episodes have all had reasonably sensible explanations, especially if you give them a "guy who is obsessed with Alcatraz and criminals with very unique M.O."

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 08:18 AM)
Didnt need to see that dude's shlong. Self esteem low enough.

LOL right? Good lord that was just a mean thing of HBO to do, that man is in the wrong niche of the film industry

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
So what happened on Alcatraz relating to the overall story? I lost interest in the weekly manhunt aspect of the show.

Stuff involving another of those keys that appeared in the first episode, and an allusion again to the excon having been told by someone to retrieve it from that location. Also turns out Emerson has a whole room filled with science guys to analyze stuff that didn't appear in the first few episodes.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 04:13 PM)
I know exactly what I'm missing. I've watched the majority of the first season as I had roommates in college that absolutely loved it. I think it's complete trash that relies on the same overused schtick of nerds being nerdy. It's relies too heavily on a laugh track and has very little comedic value.

My statement about prefering to watch Human Centipede might have sounded like a hyperbole, but it honestly wasn't. I would seriously start laughing mid-way through the first viewing, which is more than Big Bang Theory could do for me.

EDIT: To be perfectly honest, I find it hard to enjoy any show with a laugh track these days. If a comedy feels the need to tell you when you should be laughing, then it's probably not doing it's job particularly well. It's another reason why I have immense respect for Sports Night, which didn't want a laugh track but was refuted by the network. As the series progressed, the laugh track became rarer and quieter, before finally disappearing completely in season two.

Watching a scene without the laugh track really highlights how awkward the pacing is.

(there's plenty more)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
Thanks for the recap balta

They also showed at the very end that the two keys (and a third key of the warden's) opens up some scary vault type thing on the island, presumably linked to the whole time travel thing. It was very hatch-esque.

And Balta I agree that the other episodes make sense, but this one didn't. They got a call to come check out the bank robbery. Why did they get that call in the first place? I don't think it was over the radio. It didn't make sense that they, being two pseudo FBI/San Fran cops, would be notified of a seemingly "normal" bank robbery. It was only after she got the call that someone mentioned that the robber went after specific lock boxes, and that's how they linked it up to the Alcatraz prisoner.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:38 PM)

They also showed at the very end that the two keys (and a third key of the warden's) opens up some scary vault type thing on the island, presumably linked to the whole time travel thing. It was very hatch-esque.

And Balta I agree that the other episodes make sense, but this one didn't. They got a call to come check out the bank robbery. Why did they get that call in the first place? I don't think it was over the radio. It didn't make sense that they, being two pseudo FBI/San Fran cops, would be notified of a seemingly "normal" bank robbery. It was only after she got the call that someone mentioned that the robber went after specific lock boxes, and that's how they linked it up to the Alcatraz prisoner.

JJ Abrams says "Stop asking questions."

There are definitely a lot of conveniences for the cops. We have to find the kidnapper! Oh hey I just found a piece of paper that says he worked for a cement company that made bunkers and there's only one in this area! We have to find the sniper! Oh hey I just found a scope in his cell and even though you can see an entire side of San Fran, he must have gone to one of these 2 tall buildings in this photo!

Didn't they imply someone was IN that vault/cell at the end? I think the Warden told the inmate that somebody was impressed with his con and wanted to see him. I think it's the smoke monster.

Edited by CrimsonWeltall