2012 TV Thread

knightni

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can always appreciate a good bad guy, but the governor in Walking Dead really just annoys me to all hell. I know the entire 2nd half of the season is going to be dedicated to a battle with him but here is hoping he is killed in 3 episodes and Andrea follows soon after.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 11:33 PM)
I can always appreciate a good bad guy, but the governor in Walking Dead really just annoys me to all hell. I know the entire 2nd half of the season is going to be dedicated to a battle with him but here is hoping he is killed in 3 episodes and Andrea follows soon after.

I think that is the idea, you are supposed to be annoyed by him. To be honest though, i expected a more openly sadistic character, but it seems like his daughter just flipped a switch.

One thing i didnt like, he was rather nonchalant about having a shard of glass sticking out of his eye socket. I understand he just lost his daughter and all, but come on now.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 12:33 AM)

Yeah, Andrea is horrible. Hopefully she somewhat avenges herself and helps out Darryl. I didn't read the comics, though I am very tempted to right now, so I don't know if this Darryl/Merle meet-up resembles anything, but I'm really interested to see what happens. My guess is the Governor forces Merle to try and kill his brother to "prove" he is not one of them

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
Yeah, Andrea is horrible. Hopefully she somewhat avenges herself and helps out Darryl. I didn't read the comics, though I am very tempted to right now, so I don't know if this Darryl/Merle meet-up resembles anything, but I'm really interested to see what happens. My guess is the Governor forces Merle to try and kill his brother to "prove" he is not one of them

Darryl didn't exist in the comics. Now, AMC is going to have a hell of a time getting rid of him, he quickly became the fan favorite.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
Darryl didn't exist in the comics. Now, AMC is going to have a hell of a time getting rid of him, he quickly became the fan favorite.

Hard to tell from the quick preview, but

it looked like Daryl and Merle make it back to the prison group.

Boardwalk Empire - awesomeness.

You guys should check out Sepinwall's interview with Terrance Winter. One interesting tidbit was that they had planned to film (and show) Owen's death in the bathhouse, but due to some property issue they had to postpone it. Instead of rescheduling they decided to wait and see how it looked with the final cut. Obviously they felt it was good enough without it.

Walking Dead - It's been very good and it kinda ended on a blah note. The Michonne/governor scene was cool, but I feel like the show has royally screwed up both of those characters. They should have been more ambiguous about how creepy/crazy/bad the governor is instead of throwing it out there in the first episode. And Michonne they just haven't done any sort of character development at all, so her motives seem completely arbitrary. For example, why does she go back for the governor? I would understand her wanting to go back and get Andrea, but nothing else she has done makes sense. From what little we know, she should be heading towards the ocean right now, not hooking up with Rick and the Prison Crew and invading the town.

Also, new african american guy! 2 was too many apparently.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
Boardwalk Empire - awesomeness.

You guys should check out Sepinwall's interview with Terrance Winter. One interesting tidbit was that they had planned to film (and show) Owen's death in the bathhouse, but due to some property issue they had to postpone it. Instead of rescheduling they decided to wait and see how it looked with the final cut. Obviously they felt it was good enough without it.

Walking Dead - It's been very good and it kinda ended on a blah note. The Michonne/governor scene was cool, but I feel like the show has royally screwed up both of those characters. They should have been more ambiguous about how creepy/crazy/bad the governor is instead of throwing it out there in the first episode. And Michonne they just haven't done any sort of character development at all, so her motives seem completely arbitrary. For example, why does she go back for the governor? I would understand her wanting to go back and get Andrea, but nothing else she has done makes sense. From what little we know, she should be heading towards the ocean right now, not hooking up with Rick and the Prison Crew and invading the town.

Also, new african american guy! 2 was too many apparently.

My thinking is Michonne feels that the Governor tried to kill her because he sent Merle and that group after her when she left. Because, well, he did.

The new african american guy is a big character in the comic. Not random, just bringing him in.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
I'm starting to have trouble suspending disbelief on HomeLand.

I have still enjoyed the season but it seems more cartoonish than last.

Maybe the comparisons to 24 that I have heard are just. Same thing happened to that show rather quickly. The difference is Homeland has a chance to keep it realistic, while for 24 it had to be more difficult considering they have to do everything in a 24 hour period.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
Hard to tell from the quick preview, but

it looked like Daryl and Merle make it back to the prison group.

Not really a spoiler since it is all speculation but the preview shows for sure Daryl running in the forest and it implies Merle is alive since they asked "Why did you bring him here" or "What is he doing here" something along those lines.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
I'm starting to have trouble suspending disbelief on HomeLand.

I have still enjoyed the season but it seems more cartoonish than last.

Most definitely. I still enjoy watching it, but it's not at all realistic right now.

The entire scene with Brody and Walden? What the hell? There's just absolutely no way that could happen. That's when it definitely jumped the realism shark, if not sooner.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 06:55 PM)
Not really a spoiler since it is all speculation but the preview shows for sure Daryl running in the forest and it implies Merle is alive since they asked "Why did you bring him here" or "What is he doing here" something along those lines.

True, not a spoiler, but with the way the show ended, the audience was led to believe that something bad might happen to either or both of them. Then the previews show Daryl in the woods and then Glenn asking why "he" was there...I'm assuming "he" is Merle.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 08:27 PM)
Most definitely. I still enjoy watching it, but it's not at all realistic right now.

The entire scene with Brody and Walden? What the hell? There's just absolutely no way that could happen. That's when it definitely jumped the realism shark, if not sooner.

Wait, which part? Messing with the pacemaker? I think theoretically it's possible. Greenwald linked to something in his review on Grantland. I think it was more unbelievable that Brody could so easily get into Walden's office and magically find the serial number like that. I just went with it because it's no more ludicrous than 90% of the plotlines in the show. I'm not really sure why people (i.e., reviewers and commentators) felt like this was a weak episode simply because it was a little unbelievable. I mean, Brody has done this exact same thing before in Estes office. And remember we're supposed to believe that the CIA would keep using a crazy person who is in love with a terrorist.

It wasn't the best episode, but I don't think it was the worst either.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)

Wait, which part? Messing with the pacemaker? I think theoretically it's possible. Greenwald linked to something in his review on Grantland. I think it was more unbelievable that Brody could so easily get into Walden's office and magically find the serial number like that. I just went with it because it's no more ludicrous than 90% of the plotlines in the show. I'm not really sure why people (i.e., reviewers and commentators) felt like this was a weak episode simply because it was a little unbelievable. I mean, Brody has done this exact same thing before in Estes office. And remember we're supposed to believe that the CIA would keep using a crazy person who is in love with a terrorist.

My bad, should not have said "entire scene." No, even the pacemaker I found somewhat possible, I was referring to right after that when Brody watched him die/told Walden he was murdering him. As soon as Walden asked for the doctor, Brody should have gone to get one. Everything after that was ridiculous, IMO. I mean, do they not have cameras?

I still liked the episode, I just felt it was more out there than normal. You're right though, this isn't exactly the first time plot lines haven't been realistic.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)

How about suddenly finding a magnifying glass? Come on man.

Watched the Boardwalk finale last night. Hoping to get to SOA tonight.

The Richard scene was incredible.

My wife kept thinking that Charlie was going to get his. I told her it couldn't really happen as you have to realize in some regard that he moves on to bigger things. While i understand the show is part fiction you kind of have to think that Capone was not going to be killed off.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 05:49 PM)
Yep...very entertaining.

My issue with it - and it's a common complaint with most History channel specials like this - is that they throw in awful commentators. Why the hell is Brian Williams telling me about the greatness of the human race? Or some writer who wrote a book about fighting? Or Donald Trump (in the Men Who Built America series)? These specials have such good production values I'd much rather they fill that talking time with professors and scientists who aren't just spewing out a bunch of BS.

With life being busy, too many trips to the gym, and NBA League Pass, I have grown to despise this thread - but only because I can never read it and by the time I've watched some episodes it's long past!

Anyways, SOA finale was awesome.