2012 TV Thread

knightni

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 08:04 AM)
(8) Props to my wife for calling the "we're all infected and Rick knew it from his talk with the CDC guy" 2 episodes ago. (also, why was that such a big deal that Rick didn't tell people? I mean yeah, I would have been mildly annoyed, but it's not like it would change anything.)

There were 2 things that really stuck out me last night. One was #8 above, I really couldn't rationalize why the infection news was such a big deal. It literally changes nothing.

The other was the ridiculous Lori incident that's been mentioned. Her reaction made 0 sense.

Compared to most of this season, it was a damn entertaining episode. Saying that, I can't shake the feeling that it was a bit of a wasted season. Nothing really happened.

Having michonne show up w/ her tied up zombies was fantastic though.

Even if they just follow the bare bones plot of the comic book, next season has the potential to be amazing.

Lori's reaction does make sense. But not in the way people are thinking. Lori is upset because she didnt think Rick would really kill Shane. Lori kept running her mouth, she kept instigating the situation, because she thought she wanted there to be a resolution. She kept pushing Rick, but part of her never really believed hed actually do it.

Now Shane is dead, and there is no going back. Its a classic emotional reaction, you always want what you cant have. So Lori flips out, because she just cant handle the truth that Shane is dead and she is partially responsible.

As for running from walkers, it was night and there was a mass of them. With the fire/gunshots/etc its at least believable that if Rick and his kid were quiet that the Walkers attention would have been drawn elsewhere. This is actually a pretty consistent with most Zombie movies. Many times the crowd of Zombies will be distracted so that 1-2 people can get away.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
Lori's reaction does make sense. But not in the way people are thinking. Lori is upset because she didnt think Rick would really kill Shane. Lori kept running her mouth, she kept instigating the situation, because she thought she wanted there to be a resolution. She kept pushing Rick, but part of her never really believed hed actually do it.

Now Shane is dead, and there is no going back. Its a classic emotional reaction, you always want what you cant have. So Lori flips out, because she just cant handle the truth that Shane is dead and she is partially responsible.

As for running from walkers, it was night and there was a mass of them. With the fire/gunshots/etc its at least believable that if Rick and his kid were quiet that the Walkers attention would have been drawn elsewhere. This is actually a pretty consistent with most Zombie movies. Many times the crowd of Zombies will be distracted so that 1-2 people can get away.

My issue is more that she's completely ignoring the "he was going to kill me if i didn't kill him" portion of the conversation.

Because (imo) thats not really relevant to Lori's state of mind. At first I thought Lori would be okay with it because Shane was forcing Rick's hand. But when I saw her reaction, I began to think she was feeling responsible for the whole debacle. Had she not pressed the issue with Shane and Rick, its likely that would not have been the result. But Lori had to keep messing with both of them. I think Lori was more on the fence about Rick/Shane, based on last night I almost wondered if she wanted Shane to kill Rick.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
Because (imo) thats not really relevant to Lori's state of mind. At first I thought Lori would be okay with it because Shane was forcing Rick's hand. But when I saw her reaction, I began to think she was feeling responsible for the whole debacle. Had she not pressed the issue with Shane and Rick, its likely that would not have been the result. But Lori had to keep messing with both of them. I think Lori was more on the fence about Rick/Shane, based on last night I almost wondered if she wanted Shane to kill Rick.

That'd be an interesting route. And it'd somehow make Lori even less likeable.

Lori never was nor ever will be a likeable character, unlike Andrea who went from being the biggest b**** on television to what should be a badass zombie killer.

There are some inconsistencies, but I thought last night wasn't too bad. I thought the characters were pretty stupid, as in Jimmy in the RV, what the f*** was he thinking.

But realllllly glad to have Michonne join the show (the katana wielding woman with the zombies chained to her). She's pretty f***ing badass in the graphic novel. Just hope Tyrese joins, and they don't just make T-Dawg his replacement because thus far he has nothing on what Tyrese is in the graphic novel (ex football player who kicks zombie ass).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 08:28 AM)
Also, Carl goes from being a kid, to being a kid who wants to be an adult and shoot things, to being a crybaby. F*ck you, Carl.

Our team of zombie slayers is pulling off head shots with a 98% accuracy (might actually be 100%).

Fun-bad defined, that's just good television last night.

Lori's reaction was fine, but Carl's made no sense. I still think he cocked the gun too early to recognize Shane was a walker in the field. The timing of that had me all confused.

The head shots were classic comedy. Rick's kills in front of the RV were fine because they were close range, but the line from Glen 'keep it steady' was hilarious. You're in a moving vehicle and carrying a shotgun! You're not going to hit anything other than dumb luck. Might as well not even aim.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
Lori might have some issues with Shane's death because she knows Shane is the father. f***in Maury man.

That's exactly what I was thinking, however if that's the case her wanting Rick to 'handle' Shane doesn't make any sense.

Overall it was an entertaining episode but it was more in line with standard zombie movies with hilariously bad/dumb moments instead of intelligent. It had more inconsistent moments than normal.

Andrea running through the woods for hours and being chased by zombies that can't run. I'm probably just questioning the entire logic of zombies in general by saying this, but don't their joints just completely fail at some point? Even if the virus maintains some body functions the ones walking with injuries and limps (which they all seem to have) are going to exaggerate those injuries and eventually not be able to walk at all. This episode seemed to expose more of the 'rules' of the world and that's why everyone is b****ing about inconsistencies. Not to sound too nerdy, but at least with Resident Evil the virus spawns mutation so the zombies seem more plausible. In this show the zombies would all just become cripples in no time.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
Lori's reaction was fine, but Carl's made no sense. I still think he cocked the gun too early to recognize Shane was a walker in the field. The timing of that had me all confused.

The head shots were classic comedy. Rick's kills in front of the RV were fine because they were close range, but the line from Glen 'keep it steady' was hilarious. You're in a moving vehicle and carrying a shotgun! You're not going to hit anything other than dumb luck. Might as well not even aim.

That's exactly what I was thinking, however if that's the case her wanting Rick to 'handle' Shane doesn't make any sense.

Overall it was an entertaining episode but it was more in line with standard zombie movies with hilariously bad/dumb moments instead of intelligent. It had more inconsistent moments than normal.

Andrea running through the woods for hours and being chased by zombies that can't run. I'm probably just questioning the entire logic of zombies in general by saying this, but don't their joints just completely fail at some point? Even if the virus maintains some body functions the ones walking with injuries and limps (which they all seem to have) are going to exaggerate those injuries and eventually not be able to walk at all. This episode seemed to expose more of the 'rules' of the world and that's why everyone is b****ing about inconsistencies. Not to sound too nerdy, but at least with Resident Evil the virus spawns mutation so the zombies seem more plausible. In this show the zombies would all just become cripples in no time.

They are zombies. They are not real. This is fantasy.

I'm sure their legs would break in real life.

I'm starting to think zombies aren't for some people.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 03:24 PM)
They are zombies. They are not real. This is fantasy.

I'm sure their legs would break in real life.

I'm starting to think zombies aren't for some people.

I understand the concept of fiction, but this show stretches it pretty far and typically zombie movies go over the top or are intentionally campy. This show takes itself so seriously that it needs to be held to those standards. Obviously, you have to allow the premise of zombies. I'm just saying I don't really think this show does it best.

Throw in bad character writing and the show isn't as good as has the potential to be.

Carl is a little attention whore, why do you think he does what he does? Always running off getting in trouble, playing baby when he needs to.

Agreed on the shooting, they could barely hit their targets on the shooting range while not moving, but now they can all be in a moving car and get head shots of moving zombies? At least throw in a few body shots here and there after the quick cuts of the non-experienced shooters.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
I understand the concept of fiction, but this show stretches it pretty far and typically zombie movies go over the top or are intentionally campy. This show takes itself so seriously that it needs to be held to those standards. Obviously, you have to allow the premise of zombies. I'm just saying I don't really think this show does it best.

Throw in bad character writing and the show isn't as good as has the potential to be.

I really hope AMC gets new writers for the show, and not cheap out as it seemed like they did. This show is already big, but it could be huge with actually good writing and a decent budget. The funny thing is they have a whole script in front of them that they just need to tweak a bit.

Hell one of the best scenes by a character in the past episode was Rick yelling at the group, and that was all based on scenes from the graphic novel.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)

Exactly. A fictional universe doesn't mean that writers can get away with anything that doesn't make sense by saying "fiction!" It still needs to be internally coherent.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
They haven't gotten away just doing anything.

It's not like this last episode kicked off with flying zombies using machine guns.

They have kept the same rules the whole time.

You're just ignoring so much to make these statements. It's ok to question or flatout call things stupid on a show and still enjoy watching it, yo.

I actually lol'd during Rick's confession of killing Shane. Yeah, Shane was a crazy loose cannon who everyone was scared of. He lured me into the woods to try to kill me. It was him or me. Everyone's upset? WTF? Seriously? That doesn't mean it's not a fun show though. Then again, I'm not looking for a deeper meaning in a post apocalyptic zombie show.

Also, I understand the episodes are slow, but if every episode was a zombie shoot out, it would get boring real fast.

This goes way beyond the show, so it's not even a legit gripe of mine, but I always wondered how the zombies end up eating humans. I mean, zombies at some point were humans that got turned by other zombies right? So, how are any of them walking around if they're eaten to bits (ala the dude in the RV or the Otis' wife)? Or, if you say that they just eat them for a while (hence all the gaping holes and whatnot), why would a blood thirsty zombie stop if it (1) wants brains and (2) never gets full.

But yes, the running/walking zombie thing is another "rule" this show has set up and broken many times in the series, depending on the writers' need at the moment.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
Or, if you say that they just eat them for a while (hence all the gaping holes and whatnot), why would a blood thirsty zombie stop if it (1) wants brains and (2) never gets full.

Well, to be fair they've never been definitively labeled as zombies, and they certainly have never been described as after human brains. Perhaps they just kill. Hence dead animals and s***. Kill for conversion.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
This goes way beyond the show, so it's not even a legit gripe of mine, but I always wondered how the zombies end up eating humans. I mean, zombies at some point were humans that got turned by other zombies right? So, how are any of them walking around if they're eaten to bits (ala the dude in the RV or the Otis' wife)? Or, if you say that they just eat them for a while (hence all the gaping holes and whatnot), why would a blood thirsty zombie stop if it (1) wants brains and (2) never gets full.

But yes, the running/walking zombie thing is another "rule" this show has set up and broken many times in the series, depending on the writers' need at the moment.

In the graphic novel zombies do get full, so I guess that's one option. It's apparent that zombies don't like flesh that's been dead for too long (why I don't know, but I guess zombies would just each other otherwise), and they have shown a few instances of horribly eaten people (especially the first episode). I think you'd see more of those in the city, and less in the rural areas since they can't move well.

Sepinwall

But despite various good action beats, and a palpable sense of desperation throughout, I worry that my enduring thoughts of this episode are going to be of my irritation throughout with Lori Grimes. Once again, she doesn't notice that her son has gone missing until it's far too late, when after what happened with Sophia you would expect her to manacle the kid to her right leg. And then when Rick tells her that he killed Shane, and how and why, she recoils from him like he's a monster... when she was the one trying to Lady Macbeth him into the idea of killing Shane only a few episodes before. With Shane dead, at least I no longer have to wonder why two men are fighting so obsessively over this maddening, often incredibly stupid woman, but she's still a major part of the show, and very little of what she does makes any sense to me.