2012 TV Thread

knightni

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
Pretty awesome episode last night. The HoJo diner they went to even reminded me of the one in Pulp Fiction. I wonder if that was on purpose with all of the separate stories out of sequence.

I actually wondered this and then dismissed it... it was cool the moment you realize that the show is doing multiple stories as they happened simultaneously. The last two episodes have been some of the best of the series.

The show is brilliant and really handling the integration of the colorful, drug-filled 60s rather well. When Roger was playing with the musical booze and cigarette, I was losing my s***.

So Fringe last Friday...they veer off to a 'future where Observers take over the planet', no conclusion to the story, then this week coming, we're back to the 'Jones is trying to collapse both universes'???

Huh? Just jump all over the damn place, then, I guess....

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
So Fringe last Friday...they veer off to a 'future where Observers take over the planet', no conclusion to the story, then this week coming, we're back to the 'Jones is trying to collapse both universes'???

I think they are going to be interrelated. Basically showing the consequence if they lose to Jones.

As for GOT:

I think right now they are trying to show all of the different claims to the throne and their "weakness". Rob Stark seemingly a great tactician, but suffering from the fact that Notherners dont play politics and have no real ambition towards taking the Throne. (History seemingly repeats itself as Ned lets Robert Baratheon take the throne to start the whole mess.)

At the moment you have the Baratheon's infighting, you have the North about to be attacked and you have the Lannister's weakened but seemingly okay if Tyrion Lannister is allowed to run things. If Joffery and Tyrion continue to fight that will weaken them as well.

And of course the Targaryen are slowly building their mythical legend by wandering around.

Im thinking that Stannis beats Renly and you have Stark/Baratheon v. Lannister with Greyjoy screwing around in the North.

Sounds like a long protracted civil war, right in time for monsters to screw everyone.

(edit)

As to Joffery, he didnt like his Uncle punking him out, so he ruined something that his Uncle enjoys. Im not sure that Joffery gets that Tyrion isnt someone to be screwed with.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
I think they are going to be interrelated. Basically showing the consequence if they lose to Jones.

As for GOT:

I think right now they are trying to show all of the different claims to the throne and their "weakness". Rob Stark seemingly a great tactician, but suffering from the fact that Notherners dont play politics and have no real ambition towards taking the Throne. (History seemingly repeats itself as Ned lets Robert Baratheon take the throne to start the whole mess.)

At the moment you have the Baratheon's infighting, you have the North about to be attacked and you have the Lannister's weakened but seemingly okay if Tyrion Lannister is allowed to run things. If Joffery and Tyrion continue to fight that will weaken them as well.

And of course the Targaryen are slowly building their mythical legend by wandering around.

Im thinking that Stannis beats Renly and you have Stark/Baratheon v. Lannister with Greyjoy screwing around in the North.

Sounds like a long protracted civil war, right in time for monsters to screw everyone.

(edit)

As to Joffery, he didnt like his Uncle punking him out, so he ruined something that his Uncle enjoys. Im not sure that Joffery gets that Tyrion isnt someone to be screwed with.

I wouldnt have put money on Stennis until his fire-witch gave birth to some kind of demon. Clearly there is some sort of advantage there. Maybe setting up a showdown with the dragons?

(I havent read the books so I have no spoilers, this is just entirely guessing on the tv show).

Yeah originally it seemed that Renly was the Baratheon to bet on, but I just have a feeling that smoke monster child is going to turn the tables in that war.

I think that Targaryen's are about a season or so away from being any sort of threat. Maybe theyll take advantage of the weakened state of the rest of the armies.

A key part of last night's episode (imo) was the Robb Stark and nurse, where Stark basically says he isnt really intent on being King. Which is why whoever is the winner of the Baratheon feud will likely get Stark's support.

Stark's fighting is more about the death of Ned than the want to be King.

That is why Stark's mother is around, because whichever one of the Baratheon's wins, Starks will likely support.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
If I was him, I would have just had a sweet threesome.

This is why he is dangerous.

Some men just want to watch the world burn, or in this case, whores beat each other to death.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 08:44 PM)
This is why he is dangerous.

Some men just want to watch the world burn, or in this case, whores beat each other to death.

Hated that scene. There is so much good stuff in the books getting cut just so they can make up pointless scenes (Joffrey is a douche? no kidding) for this Ros

character. She must be sleeping with some producer.

Has that really been established?

Because it really seems more that they want to avenge their father, save their sisters and then figure it out from there. I just dont see the Baratheon's and Stark's fighting, unless its picking a side between the 2 brothers.

Steve,

Joffrey is all about power. The prostitutes were from Tyrion who had just punked out Joffrey in court, so he wanted to send a lesson.

It really doesnt seem he will be long for this world, but that is generally the fate of young Kings.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
Has that really been established?

It's what all his bannermen are calling for. Robb seems to want it too. He just doesn't want to deal with all these schmoes in the South.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
Because it really seems more that they want to avenge their father, save their sisters and then figure it out from there. I just dont see the Baratheon's and Stark's fighting, unless its picking a side between the 2 brothers.

I'm sure the Starks would be content with a divided North and South Westeros, but not the Baratheons...

With the Starks being all about family, I just cant see them really wanting war with the Baratheon's. Robert's war was over Robb's Aunt being kidnapped, Robert helped avenge the death of Robb's Grandfather and Uncle, and Robert was good friends with Ned.

As I type this, I wonder if Robb Stark is actually named after Robert Baratheon. But for the kidnapping of his aunt, the Baratheons and Starks would have been family.

(Edit)

I am not doubting that Stannis views Robb that way, I am saying that it is unclear whether or not Robb would pledge loyalty to the Baratheons if they could decide which one.

As it stands right now, Stannis may be thinking that Robb supports Renly.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)

I thought it was interesting. Dollhouse, another failed FOX scifi show that didn't receive enough marketing, did something similar and it really worked. (I loved that show, but I only found it on Netflix streaming after it was canceled, still recommend it.) I like it when the characters of the show know more about the story than we do. It's non-traditional story telling, but it keeps you guessing. Otherwise I have to agree with you, taking this long to connect the stories is frustrating, especially considering there's possibly 3 episodes left in the series.

I heard in a John Noble interview that they filmed an extra scene at the end of the last episode depending on whether it gets renewed or not. If the show gets renewed we see the extra scene. If it doesn't get renewed the show basically ends on a season finale without a cliffhanger.