2012 TV Thread

knightni

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 28, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
Btw, no one here watching Magic City?

Phenomenal show...

I gave up when I realized that I could predict the plot of the next episode with fairly decent accuracy.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ May 28, 2012 -> 11:52 AM)
I gave up when I realized that I could predict the plot of the next episode with fairly decent accuracy.

Yeah, the plot has been predictable...that is probably the biggest beef the critics have with it...but it's been so well-done, and I absolutely love the 50's and 60's time period...at least the way it's been re-presented to us in the last few years...I always hated the 50's and early 60's in history, because it was always presented as this squeaky-clean era in America...now I'm incredibly fascinated by it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 28, 2012 -> 12:26 AM)
An absolutely stellar episode of Mad Men.

It just keeps getting better. So,

Is Peggy leaving for good? I don't remember seeing anything about Elizabeth Moss leaving the show.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 25, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
I'll admit season 2 is light years ahead of season 1. But it still has lots of issues. They keep throwing us into scenes that make little to no sense (Mitch's entire absence from her family, Stan and his sister-in-law, why Duck Phillips is all over Holder/Linden when there's clearly something bigger going on [and it appears in the next episode he's going to suddenly realize they're right], etc.).

That's who that guy is! I couldn't place him. Thank you.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 29, 2012 -> 08:34 AM)
It just keeps getting better. So,

Is Peggy leaving for good? I don't remember seeing anything about Elizabeth Moss leaving the show.

That's my fear. I'm guessing she's done for this season (only 2 episodes left) but she'll be back next year. They can't possibly be done with the second most important character in the show right?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 29, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)
That's my fear. I'm guessing she's done for this season (only 2 episodes left) but she'll be back next year. They can't possibly be done with the second most important character in the show right?

I looked up a few articles and recaps, and none of them say she's gone from the show. If she does remain with the show, I hope her character doesn't become one that shows up 3 or 4 times a season...like Betty.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 28, 2012 -> 12:26 AM)
An absolutely stellar episode of Mad Men.

This has been the best season of Mad Men, and that might have been the best episode. This show, I wish it could live forever.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 29, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
They skipped ALOT in GOT, I cant believe they didnt show the chain across the river, and also I expected the wound to Tyrion to look alot worse, at least it did in my head.

I would imagine when you have an actor of Peter Dinklage's caliber, one would try to not have to have his face mangled and his nose missing for the rest of the series.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 29, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
They skipped ALOT in GOT, I cant believe they didnt show the chain across the river, and also I expected the wound to Tyrion to look alot worse, at least it did in my head.

Well, if they made his facial wound as bad as the one in the book, Dinklage would be sitting in makeup for 2-3 hours a day.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 29, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)

Meh, the chain was pretty cool in the book but it was more about Tyrion saving the city with his defense plan. In terms of his wound, I agree it should've been more severe but I can also understand the difficulty of making the wound from the book look realistic without having to go through so much makeup for every scene.

The one part that I was more upset about was the Stannis fighting scenes, so he's on the rampart fighting, his army loses, and is now surrounded by Tywin's army, sooooo where does he go from there? He is NOT supposed to be captured and that would be a HUGE change in direction from the books. Also, not having the "Ghost" of Renly was a bit disappointing.

That said, I still thought it was really well done and I was glad to finally see some more actions scenes. I do hope going forward that

the Jaime/Brienne scenes are well done and not too drawn out like in the books (also, Cleos should've been included still there).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 29, 2012 -> 04:10 PM)
The one part that I was more upset about was the Stannis fighting scenes, so he's on the rampart fighting, his army loses, and is now surrounded by Tywin's army, sooooo where does he go from there? He is NOT supposed to be captured and that would be a HUGE change in direction from the books. Also, not having the "Ghost" of Renly was a bit disappointing.

Stannis wasn't captured; his men pulled him away from the battle. Probably jumped back on a boat.

Also, Loras was wearing Renly's stag helmet.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 29, 2012 -> 11:14 AM)
Stannis wasn't captured; his men pulled him away from the battle. Probably jumped back on a boat.

Also, Loras was wearing Renly's stag helmet.

Okay details I didn't notice, I had thought the men pulling Stannis were Lannister men, but that's good to get clarified.

Season 3 casting has been revealed with these additions:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/29/game-of-...-season-3-cast/

Possible spoliers

– Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings.

– Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior.

– Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.

– Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.

– Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle.

– Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.

– Shireen: Stannis’ daughter.

– Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.

– Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.

– Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.

– Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider.

Thank god they are adding the Reeds. It wouldnt be the worst thing in the world without them, but they do play a pretty critical role with Bran, and it allows Osha to leave with Rickon as well.

Also good to see Brynden and Edmure Tully. Edmure's inclusion suggests that the Red Wedding will be covered in Season 3. Beric and Thoros also suggests we will see some of the Brotherhood Without Banners and Olenna Tyrell should be fun to watch. It was pretty much a given Mance and Tormund would be around since so much of SoS deals with the wildlings. Pretty good news all around.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 29, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
Season 3 casting has been revealed with these additions:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/29/game-of-...-season-3-cast/

Possible spoliers

– Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings.

– Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior.

– Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.

– Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.

– Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle.

– Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.

– Shireen: Stannis’ daughter.

– Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.

– Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.

– Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.

– Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider.

Thank god they are adding the Reeds. It wouldnt be the worst thing in the world without them, but they do play a pretty critical role with Bran, and it allows Osha to leave with Rickon as well.

Also good to see Brynden and Edmure Tully. Edmure's inclusion suggests that the Red Wedding will be covered in Season 3. Beric and Thoros also suggests we will see some of the Brotherhood Without Banners and Olenna Tyrell should be fun to watch. It was pretty much a given Mance and Tormund would be around since so much of SoS deals with the wildlings. Pretty good news all around.

Yea very happy with those additions,

the Jojen and Meera absence was pretty big this season imo.

Also, one thing that was upsetting me but again may have missed this detail, but it seemed like Qhorin Halfhand actually had two hands in the show, which just seemed sloppy to me, but then again I stream the show so the details aren't always easy to see.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 29, 2012 -> 08:35 PM)
Also, one thing that was upsetting me but again may have missed this detail, but it seemed like Qhorin Halfhand actually had two hands in the show, which just seemed sloppy to me, but then again I stream the show so the details aren't always easy to see.

He's supposed to have 2 hands...one is missing 3 fingers. On the show, he always had gloves on, so I don't think it would be noticeable.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 28, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
On another note, just started watching Shameless...I'm about halfway through season 1...

I was unaware it was set in Chicago...LOVE that...great show.

It's pretty damn good.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 29, 2012 -> 08:17 PM)
Anybody watch the Hatfields & McCoys miniseries? Got it recording on the DVR, but it's kind of long, so not sure if I should start watching it.

I have watched almost the first two hours so far, and it is pretty solid, IMO. I didn't watch last night because of the Sox, but am planning to catch up some tonight.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 29, 2012 -> 08:17 PM)
Anybody watch the Hatfields & McCoys miniseries? Got it recording on the DVR, but it's kind of long, so not sure if I should start watching it.

I've seen both days so far and think its badass. I like stuff from that era though. Great miniseries imo, especially for some off the History Channel (they seem to have cool specials sometimes, but nothing like network movies or miniseries)

QUOTE (The Gooch @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:29 AM)
I've seen both days so far and think its badass. I like stuff from that era though. Great miniseries imo, especially for some off the History Channel (they seem to have cool specials sometimes, but nothing like network movies or miniseries)

Very similar to the Gettysburg one they did last year.