2012 Video Game Thread

knightni

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 10:54 PM)
breaking news T R U traded in the show for mlb 2k12. calls it, "best decision I've ever made."

Meanwhile, my RTTS dude is hitting .348 in AAA as a 19 year old on hall of fame settings.

1) Who is TRU, and what are the extents of his apparent brain damage

and

2) What the hell is your secret? Don't tell me you are a "timing only" guy with the button mashing, because that's not really fair.

I actually like 2k12's engine so far, it's pretty fun. I don't like the reward system though. Whereas in The Show you get rewarded for good ABs and can get multiple points for anything and everything, 2k12 really narrows that down, which is BS. With hitters, you get 4 different sets of skill points - hitting, fielding, baserunning, and clutch (though I haven't figured out clutch, I'm sure it'll come up). But the system is flawed, atleast in AA so far. You get a specific goal for each at bat, and they vary a bit and they tend to try and help you through struggles. But, say your goal is to reach base safely...you can work back from an 0-2 count to make it full (which you get 5 points for every time), foul off a few pitches, and then ground out. You just get the 5 points, whereas in The Show, they'd say that was a good AB and you'd ultimately receive skill points for that. Also, they have a base running drill where they want you to go from first to third, so you think you'd get bonus points for going from first to third in a game. WRONG, they actually take points away from you. However, if you are on 1B and the hitter at the plate walks, you get 10 points for advancing a base safely.

I'm enjoying it, it's just a bit frustrating.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 17, 2012 -> 12:53 AM)
1) Who is TRU, and what are the extents of his apparent brain damage

and

2) What the hell is your secret? Don't tell me you are a "timing only" guy with the button mashing, because that's not really fair.

T R U is a poster here on soxtalk.

I do zone hitting. and pretty much all i do is guess pitch fastball inside. If the ball goes anywhere else i won't swing unless its really close. also on counts where i have two strikes, ill use the circle button to fight off pitches until i get the pitcher to toss one in the zone I'm sitting on. if my guess pitch zone indicator doesn't light up ill shade the batters eye to the right of the strike zone since i obviously know the pitch isn't coming inside. ill only use the power swing if i guess location and pitch type correctly, this has led to most of my HR's. any other situation i use the X button to hit. hope that helps a little, getting your batters eye and having an understanding of when a pitch is going to be too low is huge. When the game first came out i was trying to dig out pitches headed for the dirt all the freaking time.

Yes, I did trade in The Show for MLB2K12.. The Show was terrible and I cant believe I got suckered into buying it by FoP.. Plus, MLB came with NBA2K12 as well and im loving that game so far..

I dont get how you guys can like PS3 so much.. its so inferior to XBOX its not even funny.. You have to wait for long loads whenever you put a game in the PS3 (Yawn) the dashboard is clunky and poor to navigate.. the controller is too damn small.. You cant talk to anyone when you are playing online..

The bluray is pretty damn nice though..

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Mar 17, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
Yes, I did trade in The Show for MLB2K12.. The Show was terrible and I cant believe I got suckered into buying it by FoP.. Plus, MLB came with NBA2K12 as well and im loving that game so far..

I dont get how you guys can like PS3 so much.. its so inferior to XBOX its not even funny.. You have to wait for long loads whenever you put a game in the PS3 (Yawn) the dashboard is clunky and poor to navigate.. the controller is too damn small.. You cant talk to anyone when you are playing online..

"Damn kids on my lawn!"

not-sure-if-trolling-or-srs.jpg

Blasphemy. I stopped after one year of 2K. That game just doesn't feel like actual baseball.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 17, 2012 -> 07:50 AM)
T R U is a poster here on soxtalk.

I do zone hitting. and pretty much all i do is guess pitch fastball inside. If the ball goes anywhere else i won't swing unless its really close. also on counts where i have two strikes, ill use the circle button to fight off pitches until i get the pitcher to toss one in the zone I'm sitting on. if my guess pitch zone indicator doesn't light up ill shade the batters eye to the right of the strike zone since i obviously know the pitch isn't coming inside. ill only use the power swing if i guess location and pitch type correctly, this has led to most of my HR's. any other situation i use the X button to hit. hope that helps a little, getting your batters eye and having an understanding of when a pitch is going to be too low is huge. When the game first came out i was trying to dig out pitches headed for the dirt all the freaking time.

This is probably the best lazy strategy for hitting in the Show. They've made sure that you don't do this with success in recent versions. I remember back in The Show 07 and 08, I'd guess fastball low almost all the time. Then on a hitter's count, I'd guess fastball up and crush the s*** out of it. That no longer applies to this year's version, unfortunately.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 01:15 AM)
The My Player mode is just fine, if a little unrealistic. I can live with it and NBA2K12 for $70.

I mean, if you only have an Xbox, I guess you have to live with it. But if PS3 copies of that game are being sold, then people need to have their PS3's removed from them, because that's pure abuse.

Power to the People;

BioWare has dropped hints it could still change the controversial Mass Effect 3 ending, assuring fans this weekend it's "paying attention" to feedback and taking it into consideration.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 17, 2012 -> 06:24 PM)
This is probably the best lazy strategy for hitting in the Show. They've made sure that you don't do this with success in recent versions. I remember back in The Show 07 and 08, I'd guess fastball low almost all the time. Then on a hitter's count, I'd guess fastball up and crush the s*** out of it. That no longer applies to this year's version, unfortunately.

It works on hall of fame settings in the show '12 :huh I'm still batting over .300 with my RTTS player in the majors and my contact rating is only 70 against righties and 60 against lefties. i don't have the hand-eye coordination to move the plate coverage indicator towards the spot where the ball is coming as its coming to me like I've seen some pro nerds do, so my best bet is to only swing once I've guessed the location right since it moves the pci for you, and torturing the pitcher by using circle to fight off all his pitches until i get the one i want

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 04:09 PM)
One complaint, did the Show not have enough time to face capture Robin Ventura? I mean, they could have at least tried to create a lookalike. The generic white guy with the zits looks weird in the dugout.

Robin was/is not a part of the MLBPA yet. And until he does, they are not allowed to make a guy even resembles him. I haven't started my Franchise yet, so I am not even sure if his name is actually Robin Ventura or not.

However, I THINK this might be something they can change w/ a roster update if Ventura joins the MLBPA.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
Robin was/is not a part of the MLBPA yet. And until he does, they are not allowed to make a guy even resembles him. I haven't started my Franchise yet, so I am not even sure if his name is actually Robin Ventura or not.

However, I THINK this might be something they can change w/ a roster update if Ventura joins the MLBPA.

I started one, only because I have little interest in the White Sox roster closely resembling the real one... I'm about two weeks in with a record of 13-9. The games are largely competitive and I love it.

CF Alejandro De Aza

2B Gordon Beckham

RF Justin Upton - walk up to "Justify My Thug" works well lol

1B Paul Konerko

DH Adam Dunn - hitting .240 and 2nd in AL in bombs, that works

3B Brett Lawrie

C AJ Pierzynski

LF Dayan Viciedo

SS Alexei Ramirez

SP Stephen Strasburg (of course, probably the most fun guy to play with in this game)

SP John Danks

SP Jake Peavy

SP Chris Sale

SP Gavin Floyd

I have Addison Reed as closer because it's fun, and added his cut fastball. It makes for some interesting 9th innings in that game.

#noonecares

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 04:38 PM)
I started one, only because I have little interest in the White Sox roster closely resembling the real one... I'm about two weeks in with a record of 13-9. The games are largely competitive and I love it.

CF Alejandro De Aza

2B Gordon Beckham

RF Justin Upton - walk up to "Justify My Thug" works well lol

1B Paul Konerko

DH Adam Dunn - hitting .240 and 2nd in AL in bombs, that works

3B Brett Lawrie

C AJ Pierzynski

LF Dayan Viciedo

SS Alexei Ramirez

SP Stephen Strasburg (of course, probably the most fun guy to play with in this game)

SP John Danks

SP Jake Peavy

SP Chris Sale

SP Gavin Floyd

I have Addison Reed as closer because it's fun, and added his cut fastball. It makes for some interesting 9th innings in that game.

#noonecares

How did you land Upton, Lawrie, and Strasburg?

Personally, I like to wait until Operation Sports has their FULL MINORS roster out, because I love prospects. Mainly it will be for Nestor Molina, and if I can steal away Trevor Bauer.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 04:13 PM)
How did you land Upton, Lawrie, and Strasburg?

Personally, I like to wait until Operation Sports has their FULL MINORS roster out, because I love prospects. Mainly it will be for Nestor Molina, and if I can steal away Trevor Bauer.

I turned off CPU trade reject so I could have a roster somewhat resembling competitive.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 05:17 PM)
I turned off CPU trade reject so I could have a roster somewhat resembling competitive.

Pssshhh. That's cheating!! I love making trades, and usually I like to make the team worse, so my season is more realistic. But this year, I may not have to make any outside of trading Rios for Parra, of course.