2012 Video Game Thread

knightni

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
That's crazy to me. You don't even use it for Netflix or MLB.tv or any other apps? I guess if you don't have those services, it's moot. But I love watching movies in Blu-Ray. Planet Earth and Life are incredible looking.

MLB.tv on PS3 freaking rules. It's got a longer delay (since it's so high in quality), but it's literally like watching an excellent HD feed of the game over your internet connection.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 11:28 PM)
MLB.tv on PS3 freaking rules. It's got a longer delay (since it's so high in quality), but it's literally like watching an excellent HD feed of the game over your internet connection.

My buddy let me use his account a couple years ago, and it was very, very choppy. But that's probably also due to being on the schools internet connection. Living in my apartment now probably makes it infinitely better, but I don't think he has an account anymore. :/

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
My buddy let me use his account a couple years ago, and it was very, very choppy. But that's probably also due to being on the schools internet connection. Living in my apartment now probably makes it infinitely better, but I don't think he has an account anymore. :/

You need at least a 12 MBPS connection to make it look like an HD feed, unfortunately.

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 09:23 PM)
All I know is ive been reading all the Show hype on this board for years and I finally bought into it and was severely disappointed with the game when I finally gave it a shot..

I really just don't understand how that's even possible. The Show is beyond fantastic.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 09:53 PM)
Since my last post, my average is down to like .125. Uggghh. I really think once I work on my speed, my average will climb, because I hit a lot of balls down the 3B line that the 3rd basemen backhands and throw beats me by a step. Also, lots of balls past the pitcher that the IF range to get and barely get me out. Speed should help, then I'll work on power.

I don't care if your controller is vibrating like Carl's dildo, don't swing at first pitch. The hits come easier if you look at at least one.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 10:28 PM)

I also adore being able to choose between television and radio broadcasts. I watch a lot of Cardinals thanks to dear old dad, and watching the game with John Rooney making the call makes me giddy.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)
I don't care if your controller is vibrating like Carl's dildo, don't swing at first pitch.

:lolhitting :lolhitting

This dude on operation sports outlined his hitting strategy and i tried it last night and it worked really well..

The main point i got out of it was to look at the pitchers confidence ratings in all his pitches, and instead of guessing fastball every time, guess the pitch he has a much lower confidence level in and you'll have a much better chance at hitting it. Guessing right and getting great contact and timing on a pitch that the pitcher has amazing confidence in is more likely to get you into a grounder or a ball hit right at somebody even if you timed it like Ted Williams.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
The main point i got out of it was to look at the pitchers confidence ratings in all his pitches, and instead of guessing fastball every time, guess the pitch he has a much lower confidence level in and you'll have a much better chance at hitting it. Guessing right and getting great contact and timing on a pitch that the pitcher has amazing confidence in is more likely to get you into a grounder or a ball hit right at somebody even if you timed it like Ted Williams.

Damn, that's a great tip. I'll try it after raping the Soxtalk Keeper 1 draft tonight.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 11:39 AM)
:lolhitting :lolhitting

This dude on operation sports outlined his hitting strategy and i tried it last night and it worked really well..

But isn't he also a lot less likely to throw that pitch then? For the past 4 years, I have always guessed FASTBALL, LOW on Classic 1/4. That way I have the most time to react, and for me, low pitches are the hardest to judge for strikes or not. This is pretty much worked for me, my only problem is my impatience. If I see a pitch I like, I go for it. I don't like to sit around and have an 8 pitch at-bat. But now since The Show rewards you for longer at-bats, I find myself actually taking walks this year and driving up the count.

My average is up to like .225 now, with 2 HR and like 18 RBI in April. I'm starting to get the hang of it, as my ratings are starting to become pedestrian.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
But isn't he also a lot less likely to throw that pitch then?

Yep, and sometimes like when you're up against a dude like Verlander, he has confidence in ALL of his pitches.. Just now I was up against him and his slider had the lowest confidence level, he tossed it inside on me and i lined it into the right field gap for a double. Other times like when you have two strikes on you, you just have to take what you can get and hope for the best. Stuff like this is what makes the Show so awesome, brings me back to my high school baseball days at Polk High

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
Yep, and sometimes like when you're up against a dude like Verlander, he has confidence in ALL of his pitches.. Just now I was up against him and his slider had the lowest confidence level, he tossed it inside on me and i lined it into the right field gap for a double. Other times like when you have two strikes on you, you just have to take what you can get and hope for the best. Stuff like this is what makes the Show so awesome, brings me back to my high school baseball days at Polk High

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
That's crazy to me. You don't even use it for Netflix or MLB.tv or any other apps? I guess if you don't have those services, it's moot. But I love watching movies in Blu-Ray. Planet Earth and Life are incredible looking.

I have Netflix, I just use it on the XBOX

Oh, wow. So up until last night I always guessed fastball low because I thought I had trouble reading low pitches. However, due to recommendations, I started guessing inside (mostly fastball).

Holy crap, does that give you command of the strike zone. Stomped the Red Sox 9-0 with a complete game shutout from Jake freaking Peavy, no less, to take my Sox to 14-9.

/no one cares

These "Draw X amount of walks" goals are pissing me off. Even when I TRY to walk, I can't. I either strike out looking because they pound the zone every at-bat, or I have to foul off 4-5 pitches in an AB just to draw another ball. It's insane. Last time my goal was to draw 3 walks, I think I had 3 weeks to do it, and 1 walk is all I could muster. And during that time, my average plummitted because I was letting wheelhouse pitches go so I could hope for a ball on the next pitch, and then I would strike out, or make weak contact trying to be late on the ball so it goes foul.

Frustrating. So i ended up failing the goal, so the next set of goals they get, they ask me to get FOUR walks this time. Son of a b****.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 10:22 PM)
If your batting average is as bad as you've posted I wouldn't walk you either. Get your average up, make them respect you and you'll probably walk more. At least, that's if the video game is realistic.

Yeah, I'm not so sure the pitchers in the game think like that. But the commentators do mention after a couple balls are thrown to me that I am terrible and they should just be lobbing them down the middle so I can get myself out.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 11:57 PM)
Yeah, I'm not so sure the pitchers in the game think like that. But the commentators do mention after a couple balls are thrown to me that I am terrible and they should just be lobbing them down the middle so I can get myself out.

if you're a cheap p**** like me, you would sim a couple games till you pass those types of goals, then use the rest of the week to accumulate tons of points by actually playing the games :ph34r:

I'm doing well so far in my 4th year. Over .320 average, 15 home runs and about 50 RBIS before the all star break. Although I am using sliders to my advantage. I've really learned to be patient at the plate, it is extremely important.