2012 Video Game Thread

knightni

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 12:01 AM)
No, but it also looks like her as well. After I saw the Last of Us trailer a few months ago, I thought the exact same thing I thought today when I saw the Beyond trailer. But rumors of Page as the Last of Us character were denied, however, at the end of the trailer for Beyond, it says Ellen Page on the credits screen.

Jeez the trailer for Beyond looks incredible too. I want both of these games now.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Candace Bailey was quite impressive looking.. game wise I'm excited to see a new Gears and Fable coming out. Assassins Creed 3 looks good and Tomb Raider was awesome looking too. Resident Evil 6 could be interesting as well. So many good ones coming out.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 02:15 AM)
Wow, you are right. I hadn't heard of it until your post. Checked out the gameplay video, and it looks f***ing awesome!

Jeez, it looks like Max Payne meets Splinter Cell meets Chicago.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 07:28 AM)
The new Assassin's Creed looks absolutely incredible. And the fact that it's set in a time period that I can't recall there ever being any sort of decent game before just adds to it

Yes, but at this point I just expect this from Ubisoft. Not all the AC games have been on the same level, but they've all been f***ing fun. This one could be the best.

I haven't had much time to get into video games again until recently and I just finished Mass Effect 3 after getting through half of it a few months ago.

That was the worst ending ever and Casey Hudson should be launched into space forever. Christ that was terrible.

The other 99.99% of the game was amazing.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
I haven't had much time to get into video games again until recently and I just finished Mass Effect 3 after getting through half of it a few months ago.

That was the worst ending ever and Casey Hudson should be launched into space forever. Christ that was terrible.

The other 99.99% of the game was amazing.

I really enjoyed the rest of the game minus the ending but it was still pretty flawed (i.e.

Cerberus suddenly being this incredibly powerful organization and showing up everywhere to be your enemy even where there seemingly is no motive for them to do so, complete lack of variety of side missions, and lack of certain choices from previous games mattering (saving the counsel, saving or killing the rachni queen, etc.)

but those were all things I could have overlooked if the ending wasn't as bad as it was. I actually question the intelligence of anyone who likes the ending.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)
I really enjoyed the rest of the game minus the ending but it was still pretty flawed (i.e.

Cerberus suddenly being this incredibly powerful organization and showing up everywhere to be your enemy even where there seemingly is no motive for them to do so, complete lack of variety of side missions, and lack of certain choices from previous games mattering (saving the counsel, saving or killing the rachni queen, etc.)

but those were all things I could have overlooked if the ending wasn't as bad as it was. I actually question the intelligence of anyone who likes the ending.

Cerberus being powerful is because of the seemingly infinite funds and being enemy is because The Illusive Man wants to try and stop Shepard. That I can accept, but then he wants to control them so much he becomes indoctrinated. The lack of previous choices thing annoyed the hell out of me as did the side missions. But that ending? My god. It just undid 150 hours of game play. Why was The Catalyst the kid? Why does Shepard just trust this entity that was like "Yeah, I totally wanted to kill you guys. But you win! Now you can control all the Reapers or synthesize with us!" Why did the Mass Relays blow up? Were they life forms? Was The Citadel a creature? How the f*** did it know how the Crucible would work when that was the first time it was made in history? Where the f*** was Harbinger, who was made out to be the leader and not some glowing kid thing? What planet is the Normandy crew on? What planet is the grandpa and his kid on? What suddenly happens now that an armada of Krogan, Quarians, Asari, Turians, Elcor, etc. is just floating over Earth with no relays?

Man that ending pissed me off.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)

Cerberus being powerful is because of the seemingly infinite funds and being enemy is because The Illusive Man wants to try and stop Shepard. That I can accept, but then he wants to control them so much he becomes indoctrinated. The lack of previous choices thing annoyed the hell out of me as did the side missions. But that ending? My god. It just undid 150 hours of game play. Why was The Catalyst the kid? Why does Shepard just trust this entity that was like "Yeah, I totally wanted to kill you guys. But you win! Now you can control all the Reapers or synthesize with us!" Why did the Mass Relays blow up? Were they life forms? Was The Citadel a creature? How the f*** did it know how the Crucible would work when that was the first time it was made in history? Where the f*** was Harbinger, who was made out to be the leader and not some glowing kid thing? What planet is the Normandy crew on? What planet is the grandpa and his kid on? What suddenly happens now that an armada of Krogan, Quarians, Asari, Turians, Elcor, etc. is just floating over Earth with no relays?

Man that ending pissed me off.

The ending of Mass Effect 3 is quite possibly the most illogical and non-sensical ending in media history. Basically your 3 options come down to: 1) jumping into white light that somehow transforms synthesizes organic and synthetic DNA. This is so f***ing stupid I don't even know where to begin. Even ignoring the stupidity of Shepard jumping into a light somehow starting the "synthesis" how the f*** dose a synthetic being somehow become part organic and how does an organic being take on synthetic DNA? 2) Grabbing a machine and somehow having Shepard's body destroyed so that he can apparently interface with the machine and control the reapers. Utterly absurd on so many levels. 3) Shooting a machine to blow it up and somehow actually activating a chain reaction that destroys the mass relays and Reapers. Generally when you blow something up the machine doesn't work, rather than doing what you want it to do. And it isn't like the crucible was necessary for the Reapers to live since it had never been built before so destroying the crucible should have had no impact on the Reapers continuing to live or on the mass relays continuing to work. Just terrible writing. And then when you get down to it, without the relays the galaxy is cut off from one another so all that work you just did uniting species was for nothing. You destroyed the Reapers but there is no sense of victory at all. The endings are so bad that Hudson and Mac Walters (the other person who seemingly was behind the endings) should never be allowed to work again.

With respect to Cerberus, I get their interest in the crucible but it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense that they were exert a lot of resources to stop Shepard from saving Eve.

I haven't played any of the Mass Effect games, but I get a kick out of reading people complain about the ending. I find the whole dynamic interesting because it says a lot that a video game ending (and not something related to game play) has people in an uproar.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
I haven't played any of the Mass Effect games, but I get a kick out of reading people complain about the ending. I find the whole dynamic interesting because it says a lot that a video game ending (and not something related to game play) has people in an uproar.

It' because the first 149 hours and 55 minute that I put into the games had great writing and your choices meant something to the story.

The last five minutes took a giant s*** on that.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
It' because the first 149 hours and 55 minute that I put into the games had great writing and your choices meant something to the story.

The last five minutes took a giant s*** on that.

I understand the frustration completely. I'm just saying would you ever have imagined people getting all worked up over the ending to Super Mario Bros. or Goldeneye? Video games have come a long way and it's awesome.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
I understand the frustration completely. I'm just saying would you ever have imagined people getting all worked up over the ending to Super Mario Bros. or Goldeneye? Video games have come a long way and it's awesome.

I agree with this.

• 2 weeks later...