2012 Video Game Thread

knightni

One note for Borderlands 2 players: if you have a golden key, DO NOT open the gold chest with the skulls in Sanctuary at your first opportunity. Wait until you are a higher level. You do get two kick-ass rare items out of it, but if you wait until you're a higher level, they'll be even more kick-ass later.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elamins @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 07:10 AM)
A buddy of mine opened one when we were doin some co-op he didnt know it was the golden chest but we each have 2 golden keys so it doesnt mess him up too bad.

Yeah, I opened it thinking I had 2 keys per character, not two total. I really like the guns I got, but I've seen people pull stuff that does like 600 damage per shot.

FIFA is out and I'm scared for my social life. The game play is fine, a solid, but not amazing improvement from 12. However, the game modes...oh my the game modes. Between career mode as a player and a manager, online be a pro, the skill challenges, online play and match day challenges I can see the next month being dedicated to pouring hours into FIFA. Seems to be by far the most feature rich FIFA ever and I've barely scratched the surface of the career mode, which usually takes most of my time.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
It seems more realistic. I remember playing against people who played hockey and they'd always get mad at me because I'd just go end to end weaving through defenders and would win. This skating system seems like a huge step forward and might encourage me to buy it.

The new NHL sucks. The gameplay is fine, except the only way to score goals is via rebounds now. One-timers and breakaways it's almost impossible to beat the goalies.

It doesnt really matter when you open the chest

Gearbox has already said it will always be Purple loot..

I opened it twice so far, once at a low level and once at 29. At 29 I got two good shotguns and at the low level, I think like 12-15 I got two good assault rifles.

Honestly, the guns are only as good as your level. Ive already seen better stuff fall out of skags since then. Whats the point of waiting an eternity to use it?

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)

I opened it twice so far, once at a low level and once at 29. At 29 I got two good shotguns and at the low level, I think like 12-15 I got two good assault rifles.

Honestly, the guns are only as good as your level. Ive already seen better stuff fall out of skags since then. Whats the point of waiting an eternity to use it?

ive seen really good loot come from skag piles, i love how searching everything actually yields results.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 05:23 PM)
ive seen really good loot come from skag piles, i love how searching everything actually yields results.

Yeah except Quentin and Andrew just haul ass to grab the good loot before anyone else

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
yeah i singleplayer my ass off before they get online. if not then id still be using the same gun you start the game with because of them.

It's always purple, but as you said, there's a big difference between a purple level 10 and a purple level 35. If you do it early, the stuff becomes obsolete. I opened mine at like level 12, and I was already rotating one of them out by level 17 (a 122 damage shotgun with fire damage after I picked up a 61x11 one). I still use the assault rifle I picked up (level 19 now), but if you open it at like lvl 35 it's more likely to be useful towards the end of the game.

Where are you finding the good stuff? The vast majority of the guns I find on missions are white or green, so maybe 1 out of 10 are useful.

Honestly, probably half of my current arsenal came from the slot machines. You don't get rare ones very often (maybe 4 blues, no purple or orange yet but you can get them), but I did get some good greens as well as those few rare ones. It's a good option in co-op because it's cheaper to play and people are less likely to steal your crap. I'll sit there dropping a couple grand in the slot machine, go sell the trash, then go back and play.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 08:02 PM)
Ive gotten purple guns from the slot machine

The majority of what I am carrying on me now is purple and I got an orange grenade mod at level 6 from Boom Bewm

Lucky bastard, I've seen like 10 purple items the whole game, half of which weren't guns. It says 3 orange, but I only remember one.

Also, just found out about this trick, awesome. (semi-spoiler).

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 12:29 AM)
It's always purple, but as you said, there's a big difference between a purple level 10 and a purple level 35. If you do it early, the stuff becomes obsolete. I opened mine at like level 12, and I was already rotating one of them out by level 17 (a 122 damage shotgun with fire damage after I picked up a 61x11 one). I still use the assault rifle I picked up (level 19 now), but if you open it at like lvl 35 it's more likely to be useful towards the end of the game.

If you open it at level 35, then it's going to be useful for maybe 35,36,37,38. Then you'll sell it.

I'm waiting until level 50.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
In case you guys didnt know, theres a guy in Sanctuary named Michael Mamaril that, if spoken to, will give you a blue item after each mission for free.

Knew about him, but didn't realize he gave you rare s*** every time. Just found him (I guess he's always there

before Santuary becomes airborne

and only 10% of the time otherwise), but the thing I got was a piece of crap. He owes me. :lolhitting

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
If you open it at level 35, then it's going to be useful for maybe 35,36,37,38. Then you'll sell it.

I'm waiting until level 50.

I don't see the point in waiting until level 50, then what are you going to use it on? Random quest cleanup (which you'll be way overpowered for even without it) and further loot farming? Nah, I want something I have a shot at using late in the story. I was still using the level 10 stuff I grabbed at level 20, and in retrospect I might still be using the assault rifle I got if I hadn't sold it (not a big fan of the replacement I had).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
Sounds like you've had either very bad luck (very few good drops) or amazingly good luck (some very OP weapons that lasted a long time).

I've never kept a weapon for more than a 5 levels.

For normal guns, I rotate them out pretty heavily. I really liked the stuff I got from the vault. One of them was a shotgun that did 122 (one shot) plus fire damage, which was solid until I got a few blue ones that do like 60x10 (one of which adds explosive). The assault rifle was like 78 plus explosive, so it came out to 150 a shot. I've found a few similar to that, but it also had a 33 shot clip, which was really nice.

I do think my drops have kinda sucked though. I've seen very few purple guns (10-ish? some of which were lower level. I seem to find a lot of purple grenade mods) and I don't think I've ever seen an orange. I've been playing a lot of co-op too, so there's probably some loot-ninja stuff hurting my inventory.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
The game doesnt list what other people in your party loot?

I assume the loot is restricted to the party that kills the mob.

At least this is pretty standard practice in MMORPG.

It's a free-for-all. GRAB GRAB GRAB.

I've only played with one person though, and we share.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 09:27 PM)
For normal guns, I rotate them out pretty heavily. I really liked the stuff I got from the vault. One of them was a shotgun that did 122 (one shot) plus fire damage, which was solid until I got a few blue ones that do like 60x10 (one of which adds explosive). The assault rifle was like 78 plus explosive, so it came out to 150 a shot. I've found a few similar to that, but it also had a 33 shot clip, which was really nice.

I do think my drops have kinda sucked though. I've seen very few purple guns (10-ish? some of which were lower level. I seem to find a lot of purple grenade mods) and I don't think I've ever seen an orange. I've been playing a lot of co-op too, so there's probably some loot-ninja stuff hurting my inventory.

It's difficult to have any perspective on weapons of people who are not at a similar level to you. I'm currently using sniper rifles that do 2500 damage (+shock, +fire) and launchers that do 25000, but I'm sure my friend who's a little further than me thinks I have all trash.

I don't think I've seen any Orange weapons yet; only grenades and shields.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
Wow so literally back to Everquest I days.

Free for all was fun, but so many complaints.

In EQ at least the community was polite enough items would be rolled on with the random 1 100. Or in most cases it went to the person whose class the item was for assuming it was an upgrade, this game seems like everyone for themselves and greedy as sin.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 04:43 PM)
It's difficult to have any perspective on weapons of people who are not at a similar level to you. I'm currently using sniper rifles that do 2500 damage (+shock, +fire) and launchers that do 25000, but I'm sure my friend who's a little further than me thinks I have all trash.

I don't think I've seen any Orange weapons yet; only grenades and shields.

What level are you at? I've seen other people get crazy s*** like that, but probably the most powerful I've seen are 60x10 shotguns and 2,500 launchers.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 05:29 PM)
In EQ at least the community was polite enough items would be rolled on with the random 1 100. Or in most cases it went to the person whose class the item was for assuming it was an upgrade, this game seems like everyone for themselves and greedy as sin.

Im not sure /roll was originally in the game, its been over 10 years so I cant remember if that was a patch update or not. The game was way different to start, kill stealing, ninja looting, exploiting trade bugs, all were fair game.

The best policy still was always to loot first and ask questions later, unless it was no drop and then you were just a dick.

Edited by Soxbadger