2012 Video Game Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 01:07 AM)
While I agree with Joe, damn he's mad.

And I mainly hate Apple because I had to drop money on a MacBook at Mizzou (required for Journalism school). It's basically been a $2000+ GarageBand for me. It does nothing my PC can't do aside from GarageBand for me.

I am honestly surprised Ball State didn't make us all get one as well. All our labs and classrooms are full of Macs and the teach us everything on the Mac. I've been able to get by w/ using a PC, but only because I am smart enough w/ computers to figure out my own stuff and have my own video editing software, so I can avoid using that garbage Final Cut program.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 12:26 PM)
No s*** kid. I was talking about iPhone in comparison to a regular cell phone, not every phone.

Who are you even arguing with? Obviously a smart phone is 1000x better than a regular phone. Next, can you tell me the advantages a car has over having to take a ox and wagon across the country?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
Who are you even arguing with? Obviously a smart phone is 1000x better than a regular phone. Next, can you tell me the advantages a car has over having to take a ox and wagon across the country?

Flip Phones > All. Got rid of my smartphone to go back to a flip phone. I like it way better. Touch Screens are annoying.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/DROID...d=mobile-phones

:whichway

Also, I do love my iPod. I just am the one person in the world who, when I have a problem with one, the Apple Store hates apparently.

There's a difference between a droid Razr and just a Razr.

Droid = Verizon branding.

The three things I like about iOS:

1. The music player...although it's stupidly stupid that you have to go through iTunes or some kind of sync mechanism for that. Music players on Android offer more options, but they either look like crap or are missing obvious options.

2. Uniformity. An iPhone 4 can still play the latest games on the App Store. Why? Because it's a hell of a lot easier to develop for a set of devices that are similar in architecture than 100 with completely different chipsets. Fragmentation is a huge issue with Android, but that's expected when you have 10 different companies making phones.

3. Updates. I can get an update from iTunes anytime I want, right when Apple decides to roll it out. Android? Well, I gotta go through all kinds of loops to get Android 4.0 running on a non-Google phone. Nexus phones are great. You get great hardware with almost immediate updates. Got a Galaxy S II? Well, you're screwed. Samsung and whatever carrier you have will delay the update for like months. The Galaxy S II was released a year ago. T-Mobile JUST gave it an ICS update, 7 months after the firmware was released.

The main issue with Android is that you have too many parties doing too many different things. That can be a great thing (competition) or it can be a terrible thing (fragmentation, slow update process). On the other hand, Apple's advantages are due to their uniformity and closed system. Unfortunately, the closed system really sucks (especially for me).

I personally think Android is a great platform and anybody who has some sort of a technical background will really appreciate all the extra things you can do on it.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
1. The music player...although it's stupidly stupid that you have to go through iTunes or some kind of sync mechanism for that. Music players on Android offer more options, but they either look like crap or are missing obvious options.

Someone has not used Google's Play Music.

I mean, my entire library from anywhere for free, and the interface is top notch.

Edited by Steve9347

Only serious for my own personal needs. I don't need a smartphone and dislike using touch screens so I have a flip phone. It serves me well paying 22 bucks a month. I'm near a computer like 95% of my life, don't need one in my pocket.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
Someone has not used Google's Play Music.

I mean, my entire library from anywhere for free, and the interface is top notch.

I have music collection OCD. Google Music offers no real music player options (where's my sound settings?). They tend to compress my album art and they look low quality. Other than that, it's an alright app.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)

lol, im not arguing with anyone you half wit. You were the one b****ing about iPhones.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)
he wasn't b****ing about smartphones, though.

Exactly, he was just complaining about iPhones and all I did was say that they blow away a regular cell phone. It had nothing to do with other smart phones.

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
Exactly, he was just complaining about iPhones and all I did was say that they blow away a regular cell phone. It had nothing to do with other smart phones.

Lol, well then you completely missed anything I was talking about. But anyway, that conversation is pretty much over anyway, so instead of repeating myself, you can just go back and re-read my points, if you even care to.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 04:14 PM)
I have music collection OCD. Google Music offers no real music player options (where's my sound settings?). They tend to compress my album art and they look low quality. Other than that, it's an alright app.

...this befuddles me.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
I hate when people call them "smart phones." They're cell phones with modern features.

I think that's the technical name though, like an actual category of phone, like flip phone or slider phone. IIRC, it used to be a term used for a phone that had things like Microsoft Office tools on it, or basically any phone that carried an operating system, which I suppose is still technically true.

Wow, what a whine-fest yesterday huh. I have a ton of Apple stuff because they are quality products and superior in many ways, however if they were to release a gaming system I find it hard to believe that it would be better than my PS3, so I wouldnt buy it just because its an Apple.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
I hate when people call them "smart phones." They're cell phones with modern features.

It is weird, but it gets the point across I guess. If you need to find someone with internet, or whatever, you don't say "hey do you have one of those phones with modern features?"

Although maybe we should start.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 11:05 PM)
Is the last of us girl ellen paige?

No, but it also looks like her as well. After I saw the Last of Us trailer a few months ago, I thought the exact same thing I thought today when I saw the Beyond trailer. But rumors of Page as the Last of Us character were denied, however, at the end of the trailer for Beyond, it says Ellen Page on the credits screen.

I have not been much in to any of the star wars games since Rogue Squadron and Star Wars Racer on the N64, but this new one intrigues me. I like how it seems more human and realistic, and the graphics looks amazing. I like how the IGN guy described it as a Star Wars meets Uncharted type game, because that's what it looks like......