2012 Video Game Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
Im not sure /roll was originally in the game, its been over 10 years so I cant remember if that was a patch update or not. The game was way different to start, kill stealing, ninja looting, exploiting trade bugs, all were fair game.

The best policy still was always to loot first and ask questions later, unless it was no drop and then you were just a dick.

A lot of people grab everything in sight, sell it at the stores, then pump it into the slot machines hoping for better stuff. I've had a lot of luck playing with people that are a slightly higher level than me (I've been playing with 20-25 people, was below that until yesterday), they'll let a lot of stuff pass because it's not worthy of their inventory and will occasionally drop good stuff.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 10:31 PM)
What level are you at? I've seen other people get crazy s*** like that, but probably the most powerful I've seen are 60x10 shotguns and 2,500 launchers.

I'm only at level 37. The junk launchers I find are around 10,000.

I've seen level 50 launchers that do over 300,000 damage.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
A lot of people grab everything in sight, sell it at the stores, then pump it into the slot machines hoping for better stuff. I've had a lot of luck playing with people that are a slightly higher level than me (I've been playing with 20-25 people, was below that until yesterday), they'll let a lot of stuff pass because it's not worthy of their inventory and will occasionally drop good stuff.

I picked up some Siren character mods while playing earlier I'll give you next time we play.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
Im not sure /roll was originally in the game, its been over 10 years so I cant remember if that was a patch update or not. The game was way different to start, kill stealing, ninja looting, exploiting trade bugs, all were fair game.

The best policy still was always to loot first and ask questions later, unless it was no drop and then you were just a dick.

Well if it wasn't on launch it came before Luclin which was pretty early on, I find it crazy that any game would come out nowadays without some kind of loot system. In Diablo3 for example everyone had their own private loot.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)
Well if it wasn't on launch it came before Luclin which was pretty early on, I find it crazy that any game would come out nowadays without some kind of loot system. In Diablo3 for example everyone had their own private loot.

Im talking before any expansion came out. By Kunark a ton of things had already been changed.

I wish that game didnt get so ridiculous, I had some fun times.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 09:26 PM)
Im talking before any expansion came out. By Kunark a ton of things had already been changed.

I wish that game didnt get so ridiculous, I had some fun times.

It was good until WoW/EQ2 launched... that was pretty much the end even though I know some people still play it today.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 07:52 PM)
I picked up some Siren character mods while playing earlier I'll give you next time we play.

I'm debating how thoroughly to take advantage of Claptrap's secret stash and send stuff from my main character to that one. I'm definitely sending my two guns from the vault (almost high enough to use them :headbang), will have to see how viable it is beyond that. If I'd have thought about it, I'd have saved a bunch of stuff instead of selling it. Oh well.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 10:01 PM)
It was good until WoW/EQ2 launched... that was pretty much the end even though I know some people still play it today.

EQ2 has to be one of the worst business decisions ever. I stopped playing EQI with an epic weapon druid to start over in EQII? That didnt last long, I wasnt going to grind a new character again and I wasnt going to play a lower version game.

The smart move would have been to allow people to port characters over. I had twinks with sweet ass gear, I just stopped playing one day and never went back.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
I don't know if anyone here plays WoW, personally I don't, but I was wondering if anyone could explain the Kung fu panda motif they have going on I am seeing in the commercials

Ha I was wondering the same thing. Seems extremely odd, even for Warcraft.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 10:54 PM)
EQ2 has to be one of the worst business decisions ever. I stopped playing EQI with an epic weapon druid to start over in EQII? That didnt last long, I wasnt going to grind a new character again and I wasnt going to play a lower version game.

The smart move would have been to allow people to port characters over. I had twinks with sweet ass gear, I just stopped playing one day and never went back.

I do enjoy that GW2 gives you rewards for your GW1 characters achievements. It even reserves your character names.

But seriously, on the topic of MMOs, GW2 is fun as hell.

All of the classes play fundamentally different, which I never really saw before in MMOs that I played, including WoW.

It was always just different skills and weapons defended on how far away you could hit something.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
I don't know if anyone here plays WoW, personally I don't, but I was wondering if anyone could explain the Kung fu panda motif they have going on I am seeing in the commercials

In either warcraft 3 or its expansion, one of the neutral heroes you could pick up from a mercenary shop was a "pandaren brewmaster" which could be construed as a kung fu panda (though wc3 came out 5+ years before the movie). I think they are putting in the monk class too, so it probably just goes hand in hand.

So i did a mini personal protest against EA Sports for the garbage I've been buying from them this year and i picked up Pro Evolution Soccer instead of Fifa and man, I love it!! If youre an actual fan of the game of futbol, you will love it too. It doesnt have the bells and whistles and fancy graphics and menus that Fifa does, but the game itself feels like real soccer. I cant even explain it, the game just "feels" right and it isnt a through-ball, pace-fest like fifa is. A lot of times you have to slow down and let the play build up and try attacking from different ways. Another thing I love is the option files you can download online, PES doesnt have licensing for most of the leagues but thanks to the power of virgin soccer fans everywhere, there are people that make emblems and uniforms for every single team and do an amazing job to boot.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
The new NHL sucks. The gameplay is fine, except the only way to score goals is via rebounds now. One-timers and breakaways it's almost impossible to beat the goalies.

I'd like to slap past-Steve for this post. Once you learn the intricacies of this game, it's fantastic.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
For anyone playing Borderlands 2,

On the second playthrough, ONLY do the main story quests. Avoid the sidequests until you've beaten the game again. The sidequests will all go up to level 50+ and you'll get better rewards.

Geez, and I thought I played this game a lot. :lolhitting

I've been doing way too much random BS, so my leveling has gone kind of slow of late.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)
I'd like to slap past-Steve for this post. Once you learn the intricacies of this game, it's fantastic.

I think Ive said it before, but the best way to play NHL is online 6 vs 6. Its the best game mode of any game of any genre out there. Im not even a hockey fan and I have been addicted to it since NHL 10. There are also multiple leagues on PS3 and XBOX. Im in a league on xbox called the VHL, there are 90 teams, 30 NHL and then each NHL team uses an AHL and a CHL team like a farm system, its pretty crazy. I recommend anyone who plays NHL to check out the 6 vs 6 online team play.

I will add some self promotional videos for fun

This is from NHL12, Im the RD (Yellow) with the broken stick in a VHL game when I was on Carolina

Here is me jumping over a hip check in NHL 13 on my EASHL team The UnBendable Steel Clouds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0bMiJvg5Ro&feature=plcp

Edited by DrunkBomber

note to self, never do one of those pre-order deals on the Playstation Store ever again.. I pre-ordered NBA 2k13 (digital copy, obvi) for 53 bucks with playstation plus and had to wait till 1 oclock for it to actually be up on the store, when i could have just went to gamestop at midnight last night in my Vince Carter Raptors jersey and biker shorts. Then i had to wait about 5 days for the 10 gb file to finish downloading, oh hey! its finally done downloading! just in time for me to leave for class :bang :bang :bang

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
It kind of blows my mind that 2k13 is released on PSP but not on Vita. I know I can use the PSP version on Vita but the whole thing still doesnt make sense to me.

I don't think 2K had sufficient time to make a Vita version.

I'm kinda bummed too. I would have loved a non-laggy version on my Vita.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 07:08 PM)
I don't think 2K had sufficient time to make a Vita version.

I'm kinda bummed too. I would have loved a non-laggy version on my Vita.

I was reading an article in Kotaku where a rep from Sony admitted that they were surprised at the lack of 3rd party interest in developing games for the Vita. They just aren't into it for whatever reason