2012 Video Game Thread

knightni

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 09:51 PM)
I had a GameCube, it was a fun machine but it was a tweener machine. And yea, virtual boy was an original flop going by numbers.

WiiU will be ok, I don't think it will flop

Also, Miyamoto already mentioned that Starfox is in development.

They've mentioned Star Fox for a while now.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 06:28 PM)
I got about 3 good weeks out of it. But once you hit a certain point with the game, interest drops to nothing. I probably beat 80+% of total missions, but didn't actually finish the main storyline...

Unless you played 8 hours a day for 3 weeks solid and did nothing but missions, there's simply no way you completed 80+% of the missions. Perhaps regarding the primary missions (Dark Brotherhood, College of Mages, Thieves Guild, those sorts), but there will be side quests up the Yin Yang for 150 hours. I think I probably put 250+ hours onto Morrowind (on one file...I played through that game like 4 times) and I'd say maybe completed 80% of the missions at that point.

I agree that just doing the receive mission -> go to place -> kill draugrs/bandits (every single mission ever ever ever) -> finish mission does get boring and reptitive, but there are a few other interesting ones within the game, there are some great locations to simply explore (Blackreach is ridiculous), and the amount of stuff you can simply just do on the side (blacksmithing, enchanting, and alchemy are the main 3 I've done but you can do whatever else) beyond exploring alone are also great ways to spend time in the game too. That may not be what some people are interested in, and I get that, but it's a sandbox game. It's the same basic guideline as a GTA game.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
Unless you played 8 hours a day for 3 weeks solid and did nothing but missions, there's simply no way you completed 80+% of the missions. Perhaps regarding the primary missions (Dark Brotherhood, College of Mages, Thieves Guild, those sorts), but there will be side quests up the Yin Yang for 150 hours. I think I probably put 250+ hours onto Morrowind (on one file...I played through that game like 4 times) and I'd say maybe completed 80% of the missions at that point.

Maybe so.

I completed the mages/thieves/DB/companions sections plus most of the main story, and what seemed to me like a good chunk of side missions. I had the vast majority of the map explored.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 01:43 AM)
Let me know how Liberation is when you can.

I finally put a few hours into the game.

The movement is ACIII. The dual analogs allow for it to be exactly the same. The tree-related free running is there. The game mechanics are a weird mix of the Ezio trilogy and ACIII. They have a number of different shops like blacksmiths and tailors like the older games had, but then they also have the ACIII combat with O for counter.

Running around New Orleans is fun, it's like any other AC game. It has its own style to it with the architecture and might even be better than New York and Boston in that regard.

The missions are shorter and some of the optional objectives are annoying, but for the most part they're a simpler version of AC. There's still a decent amount of depth.

I've had more fun with Sound Shapes on my Vita (oh my god, Sound Shapes is awesome), but Liberation is worth playing if you like the AC games. As a stand alone it's barely above average, but it's impressive the detail and graphics you get from a handheld game.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
Mother f***er. Got the yellow light on a 60gb PS3. Anyone have this problem before? I see there are a ton of do-it-yourself fixes out there, wonder if they work.

I was up late on Green Bay in the conference finals too :crying

http://www.gophermods.com/

These guys fixed my last PS3. Very reliable.

Also, Lego: LOTR is fun as hell.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
Mother f***er. Got the yellow light on a 60gb PS3. Anyone have this problem before? I see there are a ton of do-it-yourself fixes out there, wonder if they work.

I was up late on Green Bay in the conference finals too :crying

Some place in Chicago, Chicago Gadgets or something? They fixed mine for $50 a couple times. Nothing is a permanent fix unless you pay a couple hundred. My 60GB PS3 broke 3 times, all from overheating (It's a design flaw, not user error). Now it just sits at our lake house for movie use only. Games makes the system work much harder than a movie disc or Netflix.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)
Scored 104 points in My Player in NBA2k12 (and I am aware that it is not '13)

Oh man, the one skill I dumped everything into was 3 pointers. Once I became a sixth man I added to strength, dribbling, and layups.

So my 6'4" SG dropped like 30-40-50-50-78 in the span of 5 games. Shooting 3s off of picks was deadly.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 02:15 AM)
Got the Solstheim DLC for Skyrim. I played it for 20 minutes and had goosebumps the entire time. So, so, soooo many flashbacks to playing Morrowind. There was something about picking trama root and ash yams that sent me flying back through time.

I really wish that I could go back to Morrowind with updated graphics. Is that kind of what Solstheim is? Is it a good throw back?

http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development

This mod might make that real.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 04:12 AM)
Oh man, the one skill I dumped everything into was 3 pointers. Once I became a sixth man I added to strength, dribbling, and layups.

So my 6'4" SG dropped like 30-40-50-50-78 in the span of 5 games. Shooting 3s off of picks was deadly.

I'm well into my second season and once you start getting a few achievements kicked off, the XP start rolling in. My guy is a 91 overall and I am a pretty good all around player, but I focus on fast break dunks (because they're awesome) and either fast break 3's or drawn up/pick and roll 3's. I can drive too (92 speed, 95 quickness with decent ball handling) but my dude's strength is shooting.

Oh, and I recently put up 98 vs the Hawks too. My dude is putting up like 56/4.5/2/2.5/.7 on the year. Going to kick up the difficulty next year because this is silly.

I really wish that I could go back to Morrowind with updated graphics. Is that kind of what Solstheim is? Is it a good throw back?

http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development

This mod might make that real.

No, the Dragonborn/Solsteim DLC is nothing like Morrowind. It's Solstheim, which is incredibly nostalgic, but it's set some 200 years into the future and the island has changed quite a bit. In Morrowind/Bloodmoon, there is a quest to develop the community of Raven Rock for the Imperials. In Skyrim/Dragonborn, Raven Rock is a really large settlement

which the Imperials no longer own but Dunmer own instead after the mining business went south after everything was tapped dry (as I understand it).

Also, you hear about

Falx Carius within the first 5 seconds of being on Solstheim - just head east upon reaching land. And yes, this takes place 200+ years after Morrowind.

I jizzed in my pants.