2012 Video Game Thread

knightni

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 08:57 PM)
That's only on the Canadian version, sadly.

Yeah...sadly. Did they change the color of the PS3 cases? The picture you had looks like the case is blue. WTF man, why do they have to make changes like this? It totally ruins the look of my game collection.

I still don't know if I want the Vita version of the Show or the PS3 version. Vita version looks eh so far from impressions and the limited videos I've seen, but I'll only judge after I've seen it in person.

Edit: I couldn't pass up this deal: got PS3 and Vita versions of MLB 12 for $70 off Amazon. This probably means I'll get the Vita and even if I don't, I can sell the Vita version for at least $30 on eBay. Mwahaha.

Edited by chw42

It's BACK!

Maxis announces new SimCity for 2013

"The rumors are true. SimCity is back." So said Maxis senior VP Lucy Bradshaw by way of announcing a new PC title in the seminal city-building series for a 2013 release.

During a Game Developers Conference presentation to gathered press, Bradshaw noted its been roughly ten years since Maxis last released a core SimCity title, and that the phones in many people's pockets now have the same power as the machines that ran SimCity 4 back then. The new SimCity will take advantage of advances in computer power to be the first truly 3D entry in the series. "This is like an entirely new playground for us, and we're going to take advantage of it," she said.

New visual features like dust clouds that kick up when a building is dropped will provide what Bradshaw calls "tactility and physicality" to playing the game, even during simple action like zoning. Not only that, but Bradshaw promised the new game will finally feature the "curvy roads" that series fans have been demanding for ages.

Bradshaw emphasized that the next SimCity (which she was careful not to call SimCity 5) will also add new global leaderboard competitions to the game, letting players strive to rank the highest on city attributes both positive (greenest, fittest, most educated) and negative (most depressed, slothful, dirtiest).

Despite promised deeper simulation features in the next SimCity, Bradshaw said the team was trying to make avoid making the game too complex. The aim is for a "what you see is what we sim" system that gives direct, visual feedback for everything you need to know about your city. "You should be able to read your city like a set of tea leaves," she said.

Bradhaw also promised the simulation would also have a game-like, playful side. "You never know when a giant lizard will show up," she said.

Ugh, they're going to screw this up so bad. I want an updated simcity 4. I don't want some Sims version like the crap they put out a couple of years ago that was supposed to be the new direction for simcity. I want a simulation. That's the whole point of playing a city building game.

I'm actually a really active Sim City 4 player, I've downloaded a few thousand lots and mods and been playing regularly since SC4's release. I'm into the game, I love it.

Its hard to tell where Maxis is going with this, obviously it isn't going to be Sim City Societies 2 (it was such a trainwreck, they'd be stupid to try something like that again) but at the same time not everything they've said is encouraging. Deeper levels of simulation are unlikely, more functional eye candy (huge airports and seaports built piecemeal, full implementation of the HSR and NAM mods) is probably going to be a mixed bag and they are not going to include anywhere near the current amount of lots available for SC4 on the fansite exchanges in their tilesets.

BUT

It will be moddable, which is a huge +. What really matters is how well the make the game to not be repulsive to serious players visually and allow us to incorporate the mods into the structure of the game. Transportation is where they failed miserably in SC4, the community made it tolerable, but we never got that full experience. All Maxis needs to do is give the foundation for a deep and realistic city sim, the community will gladly do the rest.

MLB 12 is nuts. It's so incredible. Stephen Strasburg is a beast in that game. They actually made Chris Sale really legit, too, which I did not expect.

Man, the Sox suck. I'll either have to do a draft or get trade crazy. Right now I'm just enjoying the RTTS, which is vastly improved. The skills they have you run through actually teach you ball recognition, and the points feedback is much better and doesn't crush you for good at bats just because you didn't get a hit.

11/10.

I cannot experss how much the experience increases in The Show when you add all your custom sounds. Player walk-up music, Thunderstruck to start the game, Nancy Faust's "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" playing randomly throughout the game and after losses. Let's Go-Go White Sox after the game ends. I added CSN music for between innings. After a "k" the stadium plays hawk saying "HE GAWN". It's a perfect experience.

Someone over at OS uploaded a ton of random team specific stuff too. I'm excited for that first game against Texas, and to give up a bomb, to hear the Natural music in the background.

Anyway, can't wait to play more tonight. They made Sale a beast in that game.

i f***in love the show as well. it took me about 10 full games but I finally have my batters eye back and I'm killing it in the minors with my RTTS guy. Its going to be exciting getting up to the majors and refusing to resign with the astros so i can take my talents to south beach. oh and Carl hates this game, i think he traded it in for black ops already.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)
I cannot experss how much the experience increases in The Show when you add all your custom sounds. Player walk-up music, Thunderstruck to start the game, Nancy Faust's "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" playing randomly throughout the game and after losses. Let's Go-Go White Sox after the game ends. I added CSN music for between innings. After a "k" the stadium plays hawk saying "HE GAWN". It's a perfect experience.

Someone over at OS uploaded a ton of random team specific stuff too. I'm excited for that first game against Texas, and to give up a bomb, to hear the Natural music in the background.

#2 on my current list of games to get, behind Mass Effect 3.

Might use my bookstore credit to get it, since it'll be wasted otherwise. Also, I'm holding of for the OS Full Minors.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)
MLB 12 is nuts. It's so incredible. Stephen Strasburg is a beast in that game. They actually made Chris Sale really legit, too, which I did not expect.

Man, the Sox suck. I'll either have to do a draft or get trade crazy. Right now I'm just enjoying the RTTS, which is vastly improved. The skills they have you run through actually teach you ball recognition, and the points feedback is much better and doesn't crush you for good at bats just because you didn't get a hit.

11/10.

I got 13 Ks with Sale in my first game.

My Vita's getting here on Tuesday. Can't wait to take MLB 12 on the go with me. :)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)
Wow. The Show has everyone wearing 42 in a Sunday game. Wow. Wow.

I also saw the sweat stains on Adam Kennedy's cap since it was a pretty hot day. The amount of detail in this game is incredible.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)

You wanna share these with me? lol