Jason Frasor Traded to Jays

Baron

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)
This is the kind of young talent you get when you trade away people who are expensive and don't have a ton of time before free agency. If you want to get stellar talent, you need to trade away John Danks after the 2008 season or so, when he's got several years left pre-FA.

I honestly don't think there was much more talent out there for KW to get this off-season, so I don't blame him for the hauls we are getting now. I blame KW for putting us in the position we are in now where we are a 80-win ball club with a $120-million payroll (now it's obviously shrunk, but that's what we were).

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 07:14 PM)
We need to start bringing players that can play on our 25 man roster, we have lost 8 players that was on our team last season.

Why? The plan is obviously to play as many aging slowfooted veterans as we can to go with nobodies on the mound so we can be out of the race in early June.

White Sox baseball slogan: Rebuilding is so much fun or Relevant? Who Needs Relevance?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
Why? The plan is obviously to play as many aging slowfooted veterans as we can to go with nobodies on the mound so we can be out of the race in early June.

White Sox baseball slogan: Rebuilding is so much fun or Relevant? Who Needs Relevance?

Seriously, did you watch Frasor pitch last season?

You think that's irreplaceable? Clearly, he's lost more than notch or two off his stuff from overuse the last 5 years.

Also find it amusing when AA drafts those guys and overslots, he's a baseball version of Houdini or Billy Beane...but when the White Sox trade for them, they're in firesale or crisis mode.

If we actually were in that position, we would have traded Danks already.

The only two players we're likely to trade between now and April (and that could severely harm our chances of being competitive) are the same ones we've all been talking about, Matt Thornton and Gavin Floyd, and Crain, too.

Mark Teahen and his wife made the White Sox relevant?

Winning games and divisions is what makes us relevant...some of that in 2012 would go a long way towards what's currently ailing the organization and its fans.

By the way, Quentin was a slow-footed veteran (of 29). The only slow-footed guy we really should have kept was Jim Thome two seasons ago. Dye, also gone.

But we still have Konerko, Dunn and AJ to pacify Greg's desire for Molina-esque speed out of the box...and AJ's really the best baserunner on the team, and the 2nd best I've seen in the last 20 years on the Sox, after Jose Valentin.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
Seriously, did you watch Frasor pitch last season?

You think that's irreplaceable? Clearly, he's lost more than notch or two off his stuff from overuse the last 5 years.

Also find it amusing when AA drafts those guys and overslots, he's a baseball version of Houdini or Billy Beane...but when the White Sox trade for them, they're in firesale or crisis mode.

If we actually were in that position, we would have traded Danks already.

The only two players we're likely to trade between now and April (and that could severely harm our chances of being competitive) are the same ones we've all been talking about, Matt Thornton and Gavin Floyd, and Crain, too.

Mark Teahen and his wife made the White Sox relevant?

Winning games and divisions is what makes us relevant...some of that in 2012 would go a long way towards what's currently ailing the organization and its fans.

By the way, Quentin was a slow-footed veteran (of 29). The only slow-footed guy we really should have kept was Jim Thome two seasons ago. Dye, also gone.

But we still have Konerko, Dunn and AJ to pacify Greg's desire for Molina-esque speed out of the box...and AJ's really the best baserunner on the team, and the 2nd best I've seen in the last 20 years on the Sox, after Jose Valentin.

HAHAHA!!! AJ's the second best base runner on the Sox in the last 20 years? Surely you jest. Do you work for Hawk or something? Jesus. :lolhitting

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
HAHAHA!!! AJ's the second best base runner on the Sox in the last 20 years? Surely you jest. Do you work for Hawk or something? Jesus. :lolhitting

Clearly not the fastest or anything resembling a basestealer.

Smartest/best (based on getting the most out of his God-given abilities), definitely.

Even if we sign Cespedes, quite a few will be whining about it when he doesn't make the club out of Spring Training...saying it's another Rios/Dunn/Peavy/Beckham bust.

OTOH, at least we'd lead the majors in one category, "best highlight/training/batting practice showcase videos" to go along with Viciedo and Harper.

Edited by caulfield12

I guess for those still wondering if we have a plan, it's pretty clear that our priorities are:

1) Obtain young starting pitching

2) Cut payroll

All the moves thus far have accomplished at least one of those two goals. Looks like KW figures there isn't that much value in our trading chips and is willing to do pretty much anything to pursue either one of those priorities. We may be annoyed at the quality of prospects returning but I'm fairly satisfied that there is a goal now. These are not "limbo" moves.

Signing Cespedes is still an option just because he's an elite talent. There are exceptions to the blind pursuit of every plan, as there should be.

QUOTE (JoeBatterz @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
Wake me up when the rebuilding is over.

Is this rebuilding as much as just dumping salaries? Most of these guys they are acquiring don't seem to grade out to anything more than back of the rotation starters, maybe bullpen guys - and that's if they pan out.

They probably have improved their minor league system a little, but it was so bad to begin with, and it's still very bad. There's not much to rebuild with in the minors.

Why is anyone upset about this? Maybe it's just me, but I thought Frasor was pretty bad last year. I hated seeing him come in to a game.

When we picked up his option, I am pretty sure most of us did not agree with it.

Now we managed to correct the mistake (unless it was done for this purpose) by trading him away for 2 pitching prospects. We SHOULD have just let him walk and received nothing in return, but instead, we get 2 pitching 'spects. I don't see how that can be anything but a win.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 05:04 PM)
I think the return is more than OK for Frasor, but it didn't make me any less frustrated that he was the prize for Edwin Jackson, who I thought should have been worth a more dynamic package than he and Stewart.

Don't forget also clearing nearly $10 million on Teahen. Esp. if we happen to sign that Cuban guy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
Don't forget also clearing nearly $10 million on Teahen. Esp. if we happen to sign that Cuban guy.

If the intent of that move was truly to clear salary, then Frasor never should have been a target.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 10:08 PM)

If we pursue Cespedes than I am ok with it. I had no problem with the Teahan deal, but it seemed to signal KW's moves to try and somehow recover from some real bad decisions personnelwise on his part.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
If we pursue Cespedes than I am ok with it. I had no problem with the Teahan deal, but it seemed to signal KW's moves to try and somehow recover from some real bad decisions personnelwise on his part.

Trading for Teahen was fine. It was the extension that most everyone could see was insane.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 10:04 PM)
I think the return is more than OK for Frasor, but it didn't make me any less frustrated that he was the prize for Edwin Jackson, who I thought should have been worth a more dynamic package than he and Stewart.

I agree with your take on the E Jax deal. He could have brought more I think. It willl be interesting to see what develops with him. Maybe the Sox go after him as a free agent? He has a tone of talent, eats up innings, can throw a lot of pitches and is young. Maybe the price will be right?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 05:51 PM)
I agree with your take on the E Jax deal. He could have brought more I think. It willl be interesting to see what develops with him. Maybe the Sox go after him as a free agent? He has a tone of talent, eats up innings, can throw a lot of pitches and is young. Maybe the price will be right?

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 05:04 PM)
I think the return is more than OK for Frasor,

Agreed...I thought it was a head scratcher bringing him back personally. I'm just glad somebody wanted him at his money. Thornton has to be the next one to go...