The Tank

greg775

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
We'll see this year, but I know he is overvalued by SoxTalk (in general).

He was actually slumpin in September last season when 'the book was out on him'.

He never was quite the same last season after he hurt his thumb again around the time of the minor league all star game. i dont think we have seen what he truly can do yet

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are counting a lot on Viciedo. No doubt he has talent, but the question is can he translate that into major league success. I am a bit hesitant to crown him as the hitting replacement for CQ, bit am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that his hand injury may have affected him in 2011.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
Besides his build and lack of one clear defensive position, that streakiness might be the best reason he's compared to El Caballo.

From everything I have seen, I love the CLee comp. The one thing I hope is different is work ethic. Lee had to be the worst person ever to give $100 million to just for that reason.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 12:00 PM)
I want to be the first person to post that "the Tank is out of gas" when he hits his first slump. Nobody steal that, OK?

its cool, joecoolman24 will just say something like "hotfire isnt hot"

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 08:50 PM)
I was catching up on my post-holidays Chicago newspaper reading and spotted a Phil Rogers column on Dayan Viciedo.

Rogers wrote ...

"A National League scout called him 'a poor man's Pablo Sandoval,' and he didn't mean that as a compliment.

"Not big on him,'' he said. "He's no outfielder, that's for sure. Has arm strength. Poor at judging fly balls. … Could start for a second-division team.''

That's exactly what he's likely to do."

Now earlier in the Rogers column, it was written

"One International League manager compared him to Vladimir Guerrero, saying he's a proven 'bad-ball hitter.'

Another said 'the ball just jumps off his bat,' which was what seemed to be the case in 2010 when Ozzie Guillen nicknamed him "The Tank.'' And yet another called him the best pure hitter in the International League.

'Hits for power, hits for average,' he said, citing his aggressiveness as a double-edged sword. 'You have to make sure he gets himself out, set him up. He's a bad-pitch hitter.'

So do you guys think Tank is a star in making, or a stiff in making?

I always liked the guy during his limited at bats.

In 2010 he came up and raked while taking no walks. Last year he took walks when he came up but didn't hit very well. Hearing that he's a bad ball hitter might mean that being selective actually hurt him. That being said don't know how much his thumb bothered him. I hope he crushes the ball right out of the gate.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
its cool, joecoolman24 will just say something like "hotfire isnt hot"

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
f***, that's so much better.

Oh man, it's been a while since I had a post(s) literally make me laugh out loud. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-ta...&feedID=621

Viciedo not worried about replacing Quentin

January 17, 2012, 7:02 pm

Dayan Viciedo expects that, with his strength, he'll hit more home runs as long as he makes contact. (US Presswire)

JJ STANKEVITZ

csnchicago.png

Over his four seasons with the White Sox, Carlos Quentin averaged 27 home runs and 80 RBIs a season with an .857 OPS. That's a good level of production, but it's one Dayan Viciedo isn't concerned about replacing.

"As far as pressure to try to do what Carlos has done, I don't feel any pressure because for the most part I'm just going to go out there and just do what I've been training to do," Viciedo said through translator Jackson Miranda. "So I feel very comfortable and I think this is going to be great year for me."

If Viciedo is true to his word and doesn't try to match Quentin's level of production, that's a good thing. A pair of projections have Viciedo hitting 21 home runs with 67-75 RBIs and an OPS between .759 and .779, numbers Quentin eclipsed in every season but his injury-riddled 2009.

But that's one area that Viciedo perhaps can eclipse Quentin: playing time. Quentin never played more than 131 games in a season while in Chicago and only averaged 495 plate appearances per season. Over the last three seasons, Viciedo has averaged 542 plate appearances per season between Birmingham, Charlotte and Chicago.

A healthy Viciedo will have every opportunity to improve on his power numbers, too. For all his power potential, he's averaged just 19 home runs over the last three years. But that's something Viciedo isn't concerned about, either.

"I'm going to focus on making contact, getting some RBIs and getting people in. That's the most important thing to me," Viciedo said. "I have the strength to hit home runs, so I'm confident the home runs will come."

Viciedo also said he's not bitter about not being called up earlier in 2011 when the White Sox offense was scuffling and he was clobbering Triple-A pitching.

"I feel that, wherever they put me, that's where I'm supposed to be, I'm just going to do the best that I can at those positions," Viciedo said. "I feel that at that previous year, it just wasn't my time, but this is my year and I'm just going to do the best and take advantage of it."

"I'm going to focus on making contact, getting some RBIs and getting people in. That's the most important thing to me," Viciedo said. "I have the strength to hit home runs, so I'm confident the home runs will come."

This is music to my ears. The Sox need more of these type of hitters to prevent the all or nothing home run offense. I really like Viciedo's attitude and approach. He is saying all of the right things.