Paging Dr. Balta to the white courtesy phone . . .

Texsox

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)
There we go. Perfect. Here is what I'm intrigued by. I am assuming that liquid rock flows and has about the same characteristics as any other liquid, chiefly it seeks it's own level. If that is true the molten rock would have been later uplifted to that shape. How would a liquid follow that contour?

It doesn't.

let's try an exercise.

Take a sheet of paper and draw the profile of a hill across the middle of it.

Now, hold that sheet of paper vertically.

The top of that paper is the surface of the earth when the dike is emplaced. That part is where the eruption happened, like the fissure eruption I posted earlier.

The paper itself in this case is the dike. A large, flat sheet, vertically and horizontally expansive.

The hill I had you draw...that is the current surface of the earth. Everything above that hill has now been eroded. Everything below that hill still remains below your feet.

The flow lines inside a moving dike are entirely upwards. They are moving upwards because of density and pressure gradients. There is no horizontal flow. Everything is moving upwards until the pressure gradient subsides or until things begin to move slowly enough that the dike freezes.

If an upwelling dike reaches a level of neutral buoyancy, then it will slow and stall at that level. What will happen then is that the edges of the dike will begin to cool, while the center stays hot. The dikes edges pinch out,w hile th e center tends to melt rocks around it. The dike basically then movprhs into something spherical...like a magma chamber.

Changing landscape:

This has been an interesting period for innovative hires.

Under new general manager Jeff Luhnow, the Astros hired former Cardinals analyst Sig Mejdal to a position they term director of decision sciences. He's an aerospace engineer who has worked for Lockheed Martin and NASA.

The Cardinals replaced Luhnow as scouting director with 33-year-old Dan Kantrovitz, who had been the A's coordinator of baseball and international operations. He was a star shortstop at Brown University and earned a master's in statistics at Harvard.

phil rogers/tribune.com/sports