Another White Sox / Blue Jays trade on the horizon?

striker

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
Also, if the White Sox somehow got McGuire and Drabek for Floyd, that'd be a fleecing. Then again, I dislike G-Flo.

Could be a fleecing. Drabek's stock has certainly dropped. Will have to see. I'm certainly a fan.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
Well, the good news is that McGuire looks like a very solid young arm. The bad news is that Drabek seems to be a failed prospect. However, both are under team control until at least 2018, I believe.

Hopefully Coop can pull a "Gavin Floyd" on Drabek and turn around a failed Phillies top pitching prospect.

Too early to call Drabek failed. But his stock certainly has dropped. He was dreadful last year. Has some makeup issues as well.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
I thought Drabek was good? Everyone kept talking about him when dealing with the Jays.

He was the centerpiece of the Halladay trade. He had tons of hype, but at the same time certain people thought he was far overrated. He flopped big time in his major league trial last year. 6.06 ERA 1.81 WHIP 6.3 BB/9 5.8 SO/9 in 78 innings. He has potential, but he's developed some warts of late.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 04:43 PM)
At the time of draft everyone was salivating over him, IIRC.

I read somewhere that's he's been learning a cutter and that has lead to his drop in stock. The writer suggested that if he dropped his cutter he'd rebound.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 04:39 PM)
Well, the good news is that McGuire looks like a very solid young arm. The bad news is that Drabek seems to be a failed prospect. However, both are under team control until at least 2018, I believe.

Hopefully Coop can pull a "Gavin Floyd" on Drabek and turn around a failed Phillies top pitching prospect.

Between Castro, Stewart, and Drabek, we'd be putting a whole lot of faith in Cooper's fixems for this rotation.

QUOTE (striker @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
I read somewhere that's he's been learning a cutter and that has lead to his drop in stock. The writer suggested that if he dropped his cutter he'd rebound.

I don't know that there's a team which does a better job of teaching a cutter than the Sox.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)
He was the centerpiece of the Halladay trade. He had tons of hype, but at the same time certain people thought he was far overrated. He flopped big time in his major league trial last year. 6.06 ERA 1.81 WHIP 6.3 BB/9 5.8 SO/9 in 78 innings. He has potential, but he's developed some warts of late.

I haven't seen the guy pitch at all, but the numbers scream 2007 Gavin Floyd.

Make that 2006

In the 2006 Major League Baseball Draft, Drabek was selected in the first round by the Philadelphia Phillies as the 18th overall pick.[4] He had been ranked as the twelfth-best prospect in the draft by Baseball America, but was drafted in a lower position because, at the time of the draft, there were concerns about personal incidents.[4] Marti Wolever, director of scouting for the Phillies, stated of the issues that the Phillies "feel very good about this selection. We think everything is behind him and we're moving on."[4] The Phillies opted to develop Drabek as a pitcher in their farm system.[4]

Wiki.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)
Between Castro, Stewart, and Drabek, we'd be putting a whole lot of faith in Cooper's fixems for this rotation.

Imagine they pan out and Molina does as well...the rotation would be nasty. Unless they're traded for a 37 year old bat at the deadline some year.

There were huge concerns about Drabek's off the field actions heading into the draft. Tons of rumors about bad stuff he was involved in. He was pretty good in the minors, but really struggled last year cause he tried to hard to develop a cutter. His control was brutal, but if you could get him and someone else for Floyd, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Much like Simon Castro, this is someone you couldn't have gotten last year.