Another White Sox / Blue Jays trade on the horizon?

striker

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 06:22 PM)
You can never have enough relievers. If they do get Thornton though, that would be one hell of a bullpen. Santos, Thornton, Oliver, Frasor, Janssen, Camp, and Litsch (if he doesn't start).

I don't disagree, but Thornton's $6 million option seems like a lot to take on, especially after signing Oliver and then acquiring Floyd. I have no idea what the Blue Jay's budget is though.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 06:22 PM)
You can never have enough relievers. If they do get Thornton though, that would be one hell of a bullpen. Santos, Thornton, Oliver, Frasor, Janssen, Camp, and Litsch (if he doesn't start).

I don't disagree, but Thornton's $6 million option seems like a lot to take on, especially after signing Oliver and then acquiring Floyd. I have no idea what the Blue Jay's budget is though.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 06:46 PM)

Well, the Jays need to be bold as f*** if they want to dethrone the Yankees/Red Sox/Rays

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 07:44 PM)
Also, perhaps an overpay could happen due to AA basically receiving a package of Floyd-Santos-Thornton-Frasor

Don't forget them taking on the useless Teahen contract and designating him to the last roster spot on the bench.

The Cubs sent $15 million in cash and got back a serviceable starter.

We erased $10 million of debt and got back $700,000 of prospects, Zach Stewart, Molina + 2-3 more B level prospects or more.

We needed to leverage Jackson to get rid of Teahen's money...Jackson going alone would have gotten us a lot better prospect, quite obviously.

And there's no reason we can't go out and sign a Roy Oswalt on a one-year deal, Rich Harden, same type of "band aid" solution the Tigers applied with Brady Penny/Coke until some of their minor leaguers were ready. Joe Saunders and Pat Maholm are out there, too.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 06:50 PM)
And there's no reason we can't go out and sign a Roy Oswalt on a one-year deal, Rich Harden, same type of "band aid" solution the Tigers applied with Brady Penny/Coke until some of their minor leaguers were ready. Joe Saunders and Pat Maholm are out there, too.

The reason is I want some of these young starters working with Coop.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 06:02 PM)
And can we please stop acquiring pitchers exclusively? I'd like to see a position player back in return.

I think the Sox are much better off getting pitching prospects. I think our scouts, KW, and Cooper have a good track record for getting pitchers into our system and making them a better more valuable player. Floyd himself is a prime example. They are not nearly as good at developing young talented position players. Why not stock up on good pitchers and make them better and when you need a position player you can trade for an established major league proven player using the pitching surplus.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 08:01 PM)
I think the Sox are much better off getting pitching prospects. I think our scouts, KW, and Cooper have a good track record for getting pitchers into our system and making them a better more valuable player. Floyd himself is a prime example. They are not nearly as good at developing young talented position players. Why not stock up on good pitchers and make them better and when you need a position player you can trade for an established major league proven player using the pitching surplus.

The antithesis of the Javy/Chris Young deal.

We built up a pitching surplus in 2005/06...and we did leverage it to get Danks.

B. Anderson and Swisher have good careers with the White Sox, probably no need to get Alex Rios and Adam Dunn...certainly not Rios, and Swisher could have DH'ed too. And we dealt the legit CF prospect in Young because there was too much confidence (including BA himself) in Anderson's ability to be Torii Hunter-Lite.

Then you have the bad move of letting Thome go in 2010.

Just little things like that blew up...and Teahen's extension, limiting our return for Edwin Jackson.

Overall, the only trade that really really rankles is giving up Daniel Hudson too quickly, but I'll just assume that Ozzie/Cooper had some issues with Daniel behind the scenes that we didn't know about....3 starts, c'mon!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 07:09 PM)
The antithesis of the Javy/Chris Young deal.

We built up a pitching surplus in 2005/06...and we did leverage it to get Danks.

B. Anderson and Swisher have good careers with the White Sox, probably no need to get Alex Rios and Adam Dunn...certainly not Rios, and Swisher could have DH'ed too. And we dealt the legit CF prospect in Young because there was too much confidence (including BA himself) in Anderson's ability to be Torii Hunter-Lite.

Then you have the bad move of letting Thome go in 2010.

Just little things like that blew up...and Teahen's extension, limiting our return for Edwin Jackson.

Overall, the only trade that really really rankles is giving up Daniel Hudson too quickly, but I'll just assume that Ozzie/Cooper had some issues with Daniel behind the scenes that we didn't know about....3 starts, c'mon!

I think the Javy/Young deal legitimately scarred you. Everytime a trade happens or is rumored you reference that trade.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 08:20 PM)
I think the Javy/Young deal legitimately scarred you. Everytime a trade happens or is rumored you reference that trade.

It did. Phil Rogers, too.

Ever since Kenny Williams (the prospect, not the GM) failed, I've been obsessed with toolsy/athletic White Sox OFer's that never make a dent.

Partially, it's related to the trading of the Sammy "The Panther" Sosa after I had just purchased a custom-made 1989 Sox jersey in the midst of his rookie campaign.

Anthony Webster.

Jimmy Hurst was another one.

Walker, Mitchell and Thompson...same thing.

Claudell Washington.

Ron LeFlore...I watched The RON LEFLORE story probably five times when I was a kid growing up.

Rudy Law was another personal favorite.

Of course, Lance Johnson...I remember writing for his autograph when he was still on the Cardinals, and McGee/Vince Coleman were my two favorite players to watch, along with Terry Pendleton.

Ivan Calderon.

Carlos Martinez.

Too many to name/count.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 08:45 PM)
Lets hope this isn't like the Mike Sirotka for David Wells trade. Why does KW have a woody for trading with the Blue Jays?

Because the Jays are willing to give up youth and take on salary. And not many other teams are.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 07:45 PM)
It did. Phil Rogers, too.

Ever since Kenny Williams (the prospect, not the GM) failed, I've been obsessed with toolsy/athletic White Sox OFer's that never make a dent.

Partially, it's related to the trading of the Sammy "The Panther" Sosa after I had just purchased a custom-made 1989 Sox jersey in the midst of his rookie campaign.

Anthony Webster.

Jimmy Hurst was another one.

Walker, Mitchell and Thompson...same thing.

Claudell Washington.

Ron LeFlore...I watched The RON LEFLORE story probably five times when I was a kid growing up.

Rudy Law was another personal favorite.

Of course, Lance Johnson...I remember writing for his autograph when he was still on the Cardinals, and McGee/Vince Coleman were my two favorite players to watch, along with Terry Pendleton.

Ivan Calderon.

Carlos Martinez.

Too many to name/count.

Honestly man, I have no idea what you're talking about half the time :lol:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb...-on-darvish-bid

Blue Jays/AA getting skewered for opaqueness with the Darvish deal.

Will it be a case of "more of the same" with the White Sox and Cespedes?

We've been there before with M. Cabrera, Torii Hunter, Fukudome and a number of high profile FA's we "offered" (like Victor Martinez) but were never really considered front-runners for.

If Floyd is really gone, then there's going to be pressure to make some type of splash, and clearly it's being telegraphed that it almost has to be Cespedes.