Another White Sox / Blue Jays trade on the horizon?

striker

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)
You have absolutely no guarantees this rebuilding is going to somehow turn the Sox around for the better.

You only have to look to Madison Avenue and recall this owner's last attempt at rebuilding.

Took over a decade for the Bulls to be viable again - and that was with near capacity crowds every game.

He won't be getting that at the Cell.

But Sox fans are comfortable with prolonged periods of mediocrity - to the delight of this owner.

It's Madison Street, and it only took 5 years to get back to the playoffs, which wasn't that long considering the complete dismantling after 1998. We were essentially an expansion team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 06:15 PM)
The NBA also has twice as many playoff teams.

I just don't think you can look to Jerry's handling of the bulls as an example as to why he's bad for the sox. The bulls are a pretty well run franchise.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
I just don't think you can look to Jerry's handling of the bulls as an example as to why he's bad for the sox. The bulls are a pretty well run franchise.

The Bulls are only where they are at because of one reason: Getting absolutely, extremely lucky with the 2008 Draft Lottery. 1.7% chance, and the Bulls got the No. 1 pick. Who knows where they would be without that?

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
The Bulls are only where they are at because of one reason: Getting absolutely, extremely lucky with the 2008 Draft Lottery. 1.7% chance, and the Bulls got the No. 1 pick. Who knows where they would be without that?

Lucky or not... You can't argue with 6 championships.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
The NBA also has twice as many playoff teams.

And it doesn't take as many good players to make you a playoff team in the NBA.

After their 6th championship, the Bulls had the worst 3 or 4 year run winning percentage-wise in NBA history. They got lucky getting Rose. I really don't understand the people who want the Sox to be an all prospect team. They must really love having things to complain about.

Edited by Dick Allen

Lucky or smart or both, JR bought the Bulls the Carleton Sheets way, no money down. George Steinbrenner and Co. wanted out so badly, they basically handed the keys to JR in exchange for assuming some debt, and that was with Michael Jordan on the roster. I wouldn't mind one of my investments working out like that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
Considering the first two guys who got drafted the year Jordan got drafted both were ahead of him on the Bulls draft board, you can.

I would bet every other team in the league did too. Jordan... I know. They still did a fantastic job building around him. They were creative. Pippen wasn't some can't miss guy. Kukoc was a great pick up out of Europe. They took a chance on Rodman. They basically built 2 separate teams anchored by a superstar. It's not like having the best player in the league is a lock either. How many championships did Wilt win? How about Moses Malone? The Bulls also did a great job marketing their brand. They're popular all over the country. How many other teams can boast fans in every city chanting "MVP?"

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
I would bet every other team in the league did too. Jordan... I know. They still did a fantastic job building around him. They were creative. Pippen wasn't some can't miss guy. Kukoc was a great pick up out of Europe. They took a chance on Rodman. They basically built 2 separate teams anchored by a superstar. It's not like having the best player in the league is a lock either. How many championships did Wilt win? How about Moses Malone? The Bulls also did a great job marketing their brand. They're popular all over the country. How many other teams can boast fans in every city chanting "MVP?"

Dr. J would be a better example, or Charles Barkley. Malone and Stockton. George Gervin. Alex English, etc. David Robinson, without Tim Duncan/Parker.

I would say Malone was a very very good All-Star caliber center, but not one of the true superstars of the game. I guess it can be argued both ways.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 06:09 PM)
Dr. J would be a better example, or Charles Barkley. Malone and Stockton. George Gervin. Alex English, etc. David Robinson, without Tim Duncan/Parker.

I would say Malone was a very very good All-Star caliber center, but not one of the true superstars of the game. I guess it can be argued both ways.

Karl Malone was a power forward.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)
Lucky or smart or both, JR bought the Bulls the Carleton Sheets way, no money down. George Steinbrenner and Co. wanted out so badly, they basically handed the keys to JR in exchange for assuming some debt, and that was with Michael Jordan on the roster. I wouldn't mind one of my investments working out like that.

I learn something new every day. I had no idea that Steinbrenner was a minority owner of the Bulls at one point in time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
Karl Malone was a power forward.

And he was also a superstar. I don't know any way around it. If it weren't for MJ, the Jazz win at least 2 titles and who knows what else they might have done. Malone was a hell of a player.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 05:09 PM)

Moses Malone is the 7th all time scorer in NBA history. He's also the 5th leading rebounder in NBA history. He's not the player Karl Malone was, but he's far better than Barkley, English or Robinson.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)
Moses Malone is the 7th all time scorer in NBA history. He's also the 5th leading rebounder in NBA history. He's not the player Karl Malone was, but he's far better than Barkley, English or Robinson.

Ummmmmmmmmm...... is this SOXtalk? just asking......