Another White Sox / Blue Jays trade on the horizon?

striker

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
The Bulls are only where they are at because of one reason: Getting absolutely, extremely lucky with the 2008 Draft Lottery. 1.7% chance, and the Bulls got the No. 1 pick. Who knows where they would be without that?

I think it has more to do with the NBA being laughably corrupt than the Bulls being lucky.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 12:24 AM)
I think it has more to do with the NBA being laughably corrupt than the Bulls being lucky.

Point stands though that while Bulls' management has done a solid job, the reason this team will be a perennial 60-plus-win team is because of the "lucky" lottery balls.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
Point stands though that while Bulls' management has done a solid job, the reason this team will be a perennial 60-plus-win team is because of the "lucky" lottery balls.

And so you can consider us just as unlucky for being the worst team in the league during the terrible 99-02 drafts, and then getting just good enough to miss out on the incredible 03 draft. The nba is all about luck in the draft.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
And so you can consider us just as unlucky for being the worst team in the league during the terrible 99-02 drafts, and then getting just good enough to miss out on the incredible 03 draft. The nba is all about luck in the draft.

And having Jay Williams nearly kill himself right before the league opened up the rules so much that it could have made him one of the top PG's in the league.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)
And having Jay Williams nearly kill himself right before the league opened up the rules so much that it could have made him one of the top PG's in the league.

Yeah, that is absolutely true...and no one thought the Heat would take Wade going into the 03' draft...most everyone had him going to the Bulls at 7, but instead Riley fell in love with him right before the draft and we got stuck with Hinrich.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 08:28 PM)
It is a thread about a fake trade dreamed up by some guy in Indiana. This thread never had a chance. Sorry. Go Sox?!?! :gosoxretro:

To be fair, the thread started because of a guy in Toronto. The dbag frat boy from Purdue jumped on this later.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
Lucky or smart or both, JR bought the Bulls the Carleton Sheets way, no money down. George Steinbrenner and Co. wanted out so badly, they basically handed the keys to JR in exchange for assuming some debt, and that was with Michael Jordan on the roster. I wouldn't mind one of my investments working out like that.

Let's just say that JR knows how to run a sports franchise --- for profit. Even in last year's "All-in" effort, Forbes estimates he raked-in $28mm, making the White Sox among the most profitable teams in MLB. The Bulls are one of only 4 NBA teams that is currently profitable. While JR may like a winner from time-to-time, let's not kid ourselves on his real motivation. Respond accordingly..........

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/33/baseba...Sox_334758.html

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
Let's just say that JR knows how to run a sports franchise --- for profit. Even in last year's "All-in" effort, Forbes estimates he raked-in $28mm, making the White Sox among the most profitable teams in MLB. The Bulls are one of only 4 NBA teams that is currently profitable. While JR may like a winner from time-to-time, let's not kid ourselves on his real motivation. Respond accordingly..........

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/33/baseba...Sox_334758.html

That is not this years publication. That is based on the 2010 season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 10:30 AM)
That is not this years publication. That is based on the 2010 season.

Half-true. Not based on 2010 season, written on March 28th, 2011 incorporating payroll projections including the 2011 roster. Obviously didn't account for actual day-of ticket sales, but did account for 70% of the revenue picture including TV sales, season tickets, etc. Therefore, pretty accurate snapshot...

Besides, doesn't change the point about JR's motivations with either the Bulls or the Sox. Cash cows. Motivation based on that.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
Half-true. Not based on 2010 season, written on March 28th, 2011 incorporating payroll projections including the 2011 roster. Obviously didn't account for actual day-of ticket sales, but did account for 70% of the revenue picture including TV sales, season tickets, etc. Therefore, pretty accurate snapshot...

Besides, doesn't change the point about JR's motivations with either the Bulls or the Sox. Cash cows. Motivation based on that.

Not true. The profit number is from 2010 season.

Revenue and operating income are for 2010 season and net of revenue sharing and stadium debt service.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
Blue Jays DFA Mark Teahen.

I have to admit, if he never played for the Sox in the past, I'd say he's a perfect fit now. Sox need a 3B/1B lefty bat with some pop.

They would have to pick up all of his contract for 2012 to claim him. Not gonna happen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 09:48 AM)
They would have to pick up all of his contract for 2012 to claim him. Not gonna happen.

Well, yeah...it would be on the Jays to pick up most of it if they made a deal.

I'm just saying, as a player, Teahen would be a good fit right now as the Sox don't have a backup 3B.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
Blue Jays DFA Mark Teahen.

I have to admit, if he never played for the Sox in the past, I'd say he's a perfect fit now. Sox need a 3B/1B lefty bat with some pop.

I know it isn't logical, but I'd rather have Robin Ventura back-up third than have Teahen on the 40-man roster.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)
Well, yeah...it would be on the Jays to pick up most of it if they made a deal.

I'm just saying, as a player, Teahen would be a good fit right now as the Sox don't have a backup 3B.

So how would Teahen fill that void?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
Did you see how much press the Knicks got for just assembling a team that is possibly competitive for a playoff spot?

I know how big the Bulls were throughout the '90s not just in America, but around the world. Providing them with another potential "greatest player in the game" could spark that right back up. Either way, you'll never convince me that the NBA isn't corrupt as balls. One need only suffer through a game to see it in the reffing.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
I know how big the Bulls were throughout the '90s not just in America, but around the world. Providing them with another potential "greatest player in the game" could spark that right back up. Either way, you'll never convince me that the NBA isn't corrupt as balls. One need only suffer through a game to see it in the reffing.

Eh. That would mean the NCAA and IHSAA are corrupt to, because I see a lot of bad officiating.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
Eh. That would mean the NCAA and IHSAA are corrupt to, because I see a lot of bad officiating.

Perhaps they are. I don't know, and I certainly don't follow or care. When you have a former ref getting caught for fixing games, that Lakers-Kings series from a while back, the absurd special treatment given to start players, etc., you have a corrupt league.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
I think there is more potential in Chicago. I think the NBA agreed.

Not a chance. s***, Rose wasn't even a clear and away #1.

As popular as the Bulls are, NY is still bigger. If they were corrupt, NY would have gotten him.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
Not a chance. s***, Rose wasn't even a clear and away #1.

As popular as the Bulls are, NY is still bigger. If they were corrupt, NY would have gotten him.

To 99.5% of people he was. There were a few misguided and contrarians out there, but Rose was the consensus #1.