Should the Sox consider Dunn for Soriano?

southsider2k5

Through this topic, I just learned I still have some hope for Dunn.

In thinking of the trade, I actually thought Dunn might turn it around with the Cubs and I can't see Soriano doing anything of note with the Sox except swing that horribly big bat and miss most of the time or pop the ball up.

Cmon Dunn. Hit 45 homers this year. We'll prolly win the division if you do.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 03:16 AM)
Dunn should be tradable to a N. L. team. He only had one bad season, and it was as DH in a new league. There is likely some N. L. team that wouldn't mind sticking him back at first base. If the Sox could pay a modest portion of that contract, I think he's movable.

Then I would go after Kendry Morales. The Angels have no place for him with Pujols and Trumbo, and the injury makes him questionable. It would be a low risk acquisition as he is not owed any big money. He is a monster versus RHP and a good defensive first baseman, it they want to spell Konerko occasionally.

Of course, he would have to pass a physical, but I'd love him as the left handed bat in our lineup. He's not a bad hitter from the left side, as well.

Then there is the Cuban connection. He could be one more reason for Cespedes, or any other Cuban defector, to consider coming to the South Side.

NO one would touch Dunn without a Zambrano like pick up of his contract.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
65-75%...but not 80-90%

Someone would do that...a bit similar to the Jim Thome situation.

If Adam Dunn had last season because of an injury, and he missed 2/3 of the year, and he had a reasonable shot at recovering from the injury, that would be one thing.

Jim Thome didn't just stop hitting for no obvious reason. Jim Thome might have been done, but there was plenty of reason to believe this guy's down season was due to injury and he could come back from that injury. No one has a clue what happened to Adam Dunn last year. It's basically unprecedented. No one would gamble on him coming back without knowing what in the world that was.

The reasons I don't see this happening is: Soriano is a right handed batter and on the Sox that addition makes for a poor balance of lefty and righty hitters. He hit better than Dunn, but you hope Dunn recovers in 2012

Adding Soriano only makes the OF situation more crowded plus I don't see Soriano as a very good defender

Alfonso is owed around $54M still and Dunn is close to that, but maybe a year less in money? There wouldn't be any salary dump I am sure regardless of what you might think of a trade.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)
The reasons I don't see this happening is: Soriano is a right handed batter and on the Sox that addition makes for a poor balance of lefty and righty hitters. He hit better than Dunn, but you hope Dunn recovers in 2012

Adding Soriano only makes the OF situation more crowded plus I don't see Soriano as a very good defender

Alfonso is owed around $54M still and Dunn is close to that, but maybe a year less in money? There wouldn't be any salary dump I am sure regardless of what you might think of a trade.

$44 million left on Dunn...about $40 for Rios.

Rios for Soriano would be a lot better move....financially, and Rios is much more of a negative force or cancer than Dunn apparently.

The main problem there is we're not sure if DeAza 1) is an everyday player and 2) how well he can play CF for 150+ games. Of course, we have Lillibridge to back him up, but most would prefer to deal Soriano for Rios and stick DeAza in CF with Soriano/Dunn in LF.

Plus we really need that LH power bat to balance the line-up, somehow.

It can't be AJ or Kendry Morales to do it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
The main problem there is we're not sure if DeAza 1) is an everyday player and 2) how well he can play CF for 150+ games. Of course, we have Lillibridge to back him up, but most would prefer to deal Soriano for Rios and stick DeAza in CF with Soriano/Dunn in LF.

What's more likely...Soriano + Dunn playing a decent LF or Rios having a good year with the bats next year?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)
What's more likely...Soriano + Dunn playing a decent LF or Rios having a good year with the bats next year?

Honestly feel better about Dunn than Rios.

But Dunn just having cratered for one year and returning simply seems more likely.

Then again, Rios' 2009-11 is pretty unprecedented as well. Probably the guys in the F.O. and clubhouse have a much better idea than we do.

As far as Rios hitting well again, ???. Let's hope that Ventura and a new hitting instructor get through to him, because he simulataneously went from one of the best fielders in the game to one of the worst for his position, as well. Every aspect of his game became the dictionary definition of tepid, disenchanted, disinterested, lackadaisical.

Edited by caulfield12

You didn't answer my question.

I asked about Dunn and Soriano being able to play a decent LF.

I'd call the chances of that happening basically 0%.

Rios at least has some chance of htiting next year. Soriano will NOT play a decent LF. Adam Dunn will also...NOT play an adequate LF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 06:17 PM)

Rios at least has some chance of htiting next year. Soriano will NOT play a decent LF. Adam Dunn will also...NOT play an adequate LF.

Rios for Soriano, Dunn is the full-time DH still and Soriano platoons with Dunn and plays 2B full-time once Beckham goes into the tank for good, lol.

DeAza, Lillibridge and Viciedo/Cespedes is ur outfield.

It will never happen, but hey, we tried Josh Fields in LF, too.

We can use part of the cash we receive back with Soriano on Cespedes....$10 million or so.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 05:17 PM)

Statistically Rios played one of the worst Cfs in all of baseball last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 02:49 AM)
Statistically Rios played one of the worst Cfs in all of baseball last year.

I hate watching Rios play the outfield.

He is good to flat out drop a handful of fly balls a year, ala Soriano.

Man, I hate the fact he is a White Sox.

We aren't winning anything as long as he is playing for us.

He's just like Jose Guillen the former Royal loafer/team ugh.

Hopefully Robin will bench him since everybody on here thinks Ozzie only played him to spite KW. If that's the case truly, hopefully Robin will sit his ass the first time he loafs.

Edited by greg775

And then we'll have a $40 million nightmare and clubhouse cancer on our hands, like Milton Bradley.

No thanks. I think Rios will have a nice rebound with some positive reaffirmation/support from basically what will amount to a new coaching staff. That tends to have a huge effect on most rosters, at least in ST and the first half of the season.

Sustaining it all the way through September, that's another question altogether.

But look how far the Broncos have ridden Tebow against all odds, with all the critics in the world ready to pounce after any slip-ups.

If the AXIS OF UNDERPERFORMING FOUR all play well, odds are at least 50/50 that should put us on the cusp of contention. Then we can start talking about unloading their contracts. But sitting on the bench collecting dust and cobwebs, forget about it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 04:40 AM)
And then we'll have a $40 million nightmare and clubhouse cancer on our hands, like Milton Bradley.

No thanks. I think Rios will have a nice rebound with some positive reaffirmation/support from basically what will amount to a new coaching staff. That tends to have a huge effect on most rosters, at least in ST and the first half of the season.

Sustaining it all the way through September, that's another question altogether.

But look how far the Broncos have ridden Tebow against all odds, with all the critics in the world ready to pounce after any slip-ups.

If the AXIS OF UNDERPERFORMING FOUR all play well, odds are at least 50/50 that should put us on the cusp of contention. Then we can start talking about unloading their contracts. But sitting on the bench collecting dust and cobwebs, forget about it.

I really dont see how this connects to your previous point at all. Not even close to the same thing

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 06:40 AM)
I really dont see how this connects to your previous point at all. Not even close to the same thing

Which has/had higher Las Vegas odds?

Rios, Dunn and Beckham all making the 2012 All-Star team and Peavy in the Top 5 in the AL Cy Young...or Tebow leading the Broncos to numerous come-from-behind victories and the 2nd round of the playoffs?

Which one is more implausible?

Both would seem very far-fetched, and yet it's been proven possible.

Maybe because of the religious overtones that color Tebow, it's hard to have an "objective" discussion without passions being enflamed...but would the odds of Tebow accomplishing what he has already done be exponentially higher than the scenario just described?

If you believe that the White Sox will contend and at least two of those things are possible (one of those 3 makes All-Star team or AL Comeback Player, Peavy in the Top 5 of AL Cy Young, throw in Reed for AL Rookie of the Year or Rookie Pitcher of the Year for good measure).

Just trying to make an analogy, since very few posters believe we have the looks of a contender (as is), and that's before dealing Thornton and/or Crain and Floyd.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 08:10 AM)
Which has/had higher Las Vegas odds?

Rios, Dunn and Beckham all making the 2012 All-Star team and Peavy in the Top 5 in the AL Cy Young...or Tebow leading the Broncos to numerous come-from-behind victories and the 2nd round of the playoffs?

Which one is more implausible?

Both would seem very far-fetched, and yet it's been proven possible.

Maybe because of the religious overtones that color Tebow, it's hard to have an "objective" discussion without passions being enflamed...but would the odds of Tebow accomplishing what he has already done be exponentially higher than the scenario just described?

If you believe that the White Sox will contend and at least two of those things are possible (one of those 3 makes All-Star team or AL Comeback Player, Peavy in the Top 5 of AL Cy Young, throw in Reed for AL Rookie of the Year or Rookie Pitcher of the Year for good measure).

Just trying to make an analogy, since very few posters believe we have the looks of a contender (as is), and that's before dealing Thornton and/or Crain and Floyd.

The NFL scenario for sure. Bad QBs get to the playoffs all of the time if they are accompanied by great defenses. Think of guys like Rex Grossman going to the superbowl.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
The NFL scenario for sure. Bad QBs get to the playoffs all of the time if they are accompanied by great defenses. Think of guys like Rex Grossman going to the superbowl.

With 162 games in a major league season, extremely unlikely events, things like unassisted triple plays or inside the park grand slams, have a finite chance of occurring. But they tend to not be so hugely important as to wind up dominating a season and deciding a champion, because the season is so long that those single events tend to average out.

On the other hand, the NFL season is only 16 games, so seemingly incredible occurrences, things that should never, ever, ever happen, like a coach kicking the ball to a healthy Devin Hester or a safety cheating upwards against the run leading to an 80 yard completion, those things can dominate a championship path.

Both of these are cited as reasons to love the sport.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
I too think Alex Rios will have a bounce back season next year. There's no way in hell I would trade Rios for Soriano. I don't think Kenny Williams would either.

Rios would have to overachieve big time to have more than an average season by good centerfielder standards. And we know he isn't going to overachieve, not in his current $$$comfort$$$ zone.

So all we can hope for is .260 at best with about 15 home runs max and about 70 ribbies max. If we could somehow dump the guy, I'd take DeAza out there anyday. He'd put up similar numbers (at worst) for 1/75th the pay. Not that I care about lining Jerry's pockets with more money. Did he raise parking again?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)
Rios would have to overachieve big time to have more than an average season by good centerfielder standards. And we know he isn't going to overachieve, not in his current $$$comfort$$$ zone.

So all we can hope for is .260 at best with about 15 home runs max and about 70 ribbies max. If we could somehow dump the guy, I'd take DeAza out there anyday. He'd put up similar numbers (at worst) for 1/75th the pay. Not that I care about lining Jerry's pockets with more money. Did he raise parking again?

No he doesn't. If he hits .260 with 15 HR, he's most likely gonna have a .700+ OPS, which is actually about average for CFers.

I also don't think that's an "at best" estimate. You're talking about a guy who has a career line of .270/.320/.430. Not .230/.280/.350.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)

I can't stand your hypocrisy. You constantly espouse how we should treat "our own" better, but that's only for Ozzie and other guys you arbitrarily (read: because they played on the 2005 or 2008 teams) like. When it comes to certain players, JR or KW, you have no problem ripping them.