2012 Book Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 11:12 AM)
i know - i started reading Hunger Games like a week or so ago and i'm already on the third book. lol

I think I had those three done in like 6 days. Catching Fire was definitely all one night.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 11:12 AM)
i know - i started reading Hunger Games like a week or so ago and i'm already on the third book. lol

I hear ya. I read the Hunger Games in about 4-5 hours yesterday flying home. My wife finished the 2nd one with 40 minutes left in the flight, and I read through about 90 pages before landing. I'm sure that will be done soon and will ready for the third book too.

I finished The Accountant's Story which was co-written by Roberto Escobar, brother of noted cocaine distributor, humanitarian, and community benefactor Pable Escobar. I was a little disappointed. I was hoping for more details on the business side of Escobar's operation. I was intrigued by the huge amounts of cash and how you deal with being an outlaw billionaire. Instead it is more of a retelling of the Escobar story from a more sympathetic voice. It is 274 pages and I finished it in a few hours. The story jumps around a bit and I needed to slow down in some areas to understand some of the twists.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 12:25 PM)
I finished the King book on the plane ride home yesterday. Wow. Just amazing. So well written.

I will swap you The Accountant's Story for the King book, interested?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 11:52 PM)
Moneyball is 25 cents on the Amazon Kindle Store right now.

I ran the price through my stats program and it is still statistically improbable I will read that book :lol:

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 06:09 AM)
My daughter came home yesterday with a copy of Catching Fire. She still has about 90 pages to go in The Hunger Games, so I said "yoink" and promptly began reading it. Can't put it down.

I'm probably going to end up reading these books eventually since it seems to be all I've heard about the past couple of weeks.

I know very little about the story but I heard it described as The Long Walk combined with The Running Man. Those are two of my favorite Richard Bachman (a.k.a. Stephen King) books, so I'm interested.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
I'm probably going to end up reading these books eventually since it seems to be all I've heard about the past couple of weeks.

I know very little about the story but I heard it described as The Long Walk combined with The Running Man. Those are two of my favorite Richard Bachman (a.k.a. Stephen King) books, so I'm interested.

As I was reading The Hunger Games, I did think about those two books. It's a futuristic story, but it doesn't necessarily read like that. I enjoyed the parts of the book leading up to the Games as much as the part about the Games themselves.

I am teaching The Giver for the first time. It seems to be a middle school classic so I am certain more than a couple people here have read it. Those that read it, what would you want eight graders to learn from it?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 06:11 PM)
Finished Game of Thrones and just started A Clash of Kings...HBO show was remarkably similar to the book and I'm looking forward to the second season

Same.

I hate reading fiction and I got through Game of Thrones' 800+ pages very quickly. Great characters, great stories.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 10:42 PM)
Reading "Moneyball" right now. Michael Lewis is a brutal writer. The book is entertaining, but he can't write a clean sentence to save his life.

I think he was better at this in The Blind Side. Moneyball was brutal with the amount of times I would have to re-read what he wrote to get what he was going for.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 10:53 PM)
I think he was better at this in The Blind Side. Moneyball was brutal with the amount of times I would have to re-read what he wrote to get what he was going for.

Exactly, it's almost like he's stuttering.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
Same.

I hate reading fiction and I got through Game of Thrones' 800+ pages very quickly. Great characters, great stories.

Couldn't really wait for season 2 to start and am already a third of the way through the second book. Very interested in Daenarys's story line in the second book but she's only appeared briefly so far

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
This one usually dies a quick death, but why not try?

I just finished Cormac McCarthy's The Road and it was every bit as good as the reviews. The writing fit so tight with the mood and tone of the piece. I finished it in a couple evenings and seriously had trouble sleeping last night. I have not seen the movie, and probably will resist renting it. My son presented it to me this Christmas, I hope he isn't hoping I die.

The movie was decent but the book definitely had much deeper dread and despair.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
I am teaching The Giver for the first time. It seems to be a middle school classic so I am certain more than a couple people here have read it. Those that read it, what would you want eight graders to learn from it?

My wife taught it (to seventh graders) last fall. I can ask her about that.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)
Same.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 07:29 AM)
Couldn't really wait for season 2 to start and am already a third of the way through the second book. Very interested in Daenarys's story line in the second book but she's only appeared briefly so far

You guys only have about 3500 more pages to catch up with the series!

The second book is my favorite so far. First and third are about equal, fourth kinda dragged and the fifth picked it back up again.

Edited by StrangeSox