2012 Book Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
I'll go to 99 cents, but that's my limit. The only book I've paid full price for was Out Of My League by Dirk Hayhurst. I have 370+ books on my Kindle and I've spent maybe a grand total of $20 to fill it. There's plenty of good free stuff on Amazon.

I usually look for $2.99 and less. I got a $50 gift card for my birthday last year, and even after paying full price for 11/22/63, I think I bought another 15 books and still had money left over to buy the hardcover edition of Catching Fire. There are some great books for free of less than $3.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Train Dreams-Johnson

State of Wonder-Patchett

Lost Memory of Skin-Banks

Salvage the Bones-War

The Marriage Plot

The Pale King-David Foster Wallace

Has anyone read those books? Opinions?

Has anyone here ever made it all the way through Infinite Jest? War and Peace was bad enough, sheez.

Finished Storm of Swords and am about 200 pages into Feast for Crows.

I see what some of you meant about it not being as easy a read. I think maybe since some of the more interesting characters are shelved for a while. And I've noticed chapter lengths are longer. I've enjoyed it so far though, interested in seeing how things tie together and the Iron Islands and Dorne storylines interest me. The Sand Snakes seem intriguing.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)

I see what some of you meant about it not being as easy a read. I think maybe since some of the more interesting characters are shelved for a while. And I've noticed chapter lengths are longer. I've enjoyed it so far though, interested in seeing how things tie together and the Iron Islands and Dorne storylines interest me. The Sand Snakes seem intriguing.

Im over halfway done with Storm of Swords, I find myself taking more breaks than the last two books. The chapter lengths may be the reason, but I think it's just more dry and not as fast paced as the last two.

Also, following some characters just becomes redundant:

-Sam: Im scared but Im cant be, wait I wet myself

-Jaime: Cersei, Cersei, Brienne youre a wench, Cersei, Cersei

-Catelyn: I need to be stronger, i want to cry, I push my family away, I shouldn't do that, Push them away farther

And Sansa is one of the most frustratingly hard characters to read about/read from her perspective.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:04 PM)
Im over halfway done with Storm of Swords, I find myself taking more breaks than the last two books. The chapter lengths may be the reason, but I think it's just more dry and not as fast paced as the last two.

-Catelyn: I need to be stronger, i want to cry, I push my family away, I shouldn't do that, Push them away farther

And Sansa is one of the most frustratingly hard characters to read about/read from her perspective.

The last 40% of Storm of Swords is non-stop awesome. When I was where you were at, I had the same feeling: "This is good, but why does everyone say this one is the best?" Then BOOM.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
The last 40% of Storm of Swords is non-stop awesome. When I was where you were at, I had the same feeling: "This is good, but why does everyone say this one is the best?" Then BOOM.

Yea Im finally seeing that this book could explode into epicness as Im at the part where Robb is figuring out his plan to take back the North. Much more action is definitely coming.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 04:04 PM)

Sam's chapters become needed

Jaime becomes interesting

Catelyn - yeah, she get's annoying

Agreed on Sansa but it gets better there too

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 04:06 PM)

Yeah pages 600-finish just flew by for me. Once the

Red Wedding

happened (which, oh my god by the way), it was remarkably hard to put down

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 08:52 PM)

Some of the more interesting characters were shelved? Basically all of them!

Here were the things I was really interested in, coming out of SoS [major spoilers, obviously]:

Jon heading the Watch

The Watch, Stannis, Rayder, and a boatload of freefolk all together

Melisandre's crazy voodoo

The Others coming invasion

Dany and her dragons and Unsullied army

Arya headed to Braavos with mystery coin

Tyrion and Varys disappearing

Bran and the Reeds magic quest with 12-foot tall elk riding dude

Beric and Cat Zombie Squad

SoS ignores all this (except a little

Arya

) in favor of

Sansa hanging out with Petyr

Brienne looking for Sansa

Jaime whining about his hand

Cersei whining about everything

Sam taking a long trip

Ironfolk looking for a new leader

Dornish people being Dornish

I struggle to read even a chapter a day.

Catching Fire.......MEH. First half, god awful love crap (have to keep reminding myself that this book was meant for 12 year old girls more than a 30 year old man). Second half MUCH better, but the arena was really difficult to visualize. And ultimately the ending left me a little unsatisfied (knowing it's book 2 out of 3 tends to kill any suspense)

Onto MockingJay....

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
Some of the more interesting characters were shelved? Basically all of them!

Here were the things I was really interested in, coming out of SoS [major spoilers, obviously]:

Jon heading the Watch

The Watch, Stannis, Rayder, and a boatload of freefolk all together

Melisandre's crazy voodoo

The Others coming invasion

Dany and her dragons and Unsullied army

Arya headed to Braavos with mystery coin

Tyrion and Varys disappearing

Bran and the Reeds magic quest with 12-foot tall elk riding dude

Beric and Cat Zombie Squad

SoS ignores all this (except a little

Arya

) in favor of

Sansa hanging out with Petyr

Brienne looking for Sansa

Jaime whining about his hand

Cersei whining about everything

Sam taking a long trip

Ironfolk looking for a new leader

Dornish people being Dornish

I struggle to read even a chapter a day.

the fourth book really is just Martin jerking off to himself. it pissed me off to the point where I haven't touched the fifth yet because I just stopped caring.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
Catching Fire.......MEH. First half, god awful love crap (have to keep reminding myself that this book was meant for 12 year old girls more than a 30 year old man). Second half MUCH better, but the arena was really difficult to visualize. And ultimately the ending left me a little unsatisfied (knowing it's book 2 out of 3 tends to kill any suspense)

Onto MockingJay....

It was kinda redundant. I didn't like most of the third book (probably the middle 3/4) but the last 10 or 15 pages were pretty awesome.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 08:37 AM)
the fourth book really is just Martin jerking off to himself. it pissed me off to the point where I haven't touched the fifth yet because I just stopped caring.

The thing was getting so damn long that he had to start splitting out chapters, which is why ADWD is somewhat disjointed as well.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 12:59 PM)
I finished The Accountant's Story which was co-written by Roberto Escobar, brother of noted cocaine distributor, humanitarian, and community benefactor Pable Escobar. I was a little disappointed. I was hoping for more details on the business side of Escobar's operation. I was intrigued by the huge amounts of cash and how you deal with being an outlaw billionaire. Instead it is more of a retelling of the Escobar story from a more sympathetic voice. It is 274 pages and I finished it in a few hours. The story jumps around a bit and I needed to slow down in some areas to understand some of the twists.

It isn't as good as I thought it would be either. It seems like a way to excuse or blame someone else for everything that happened. Interesting parts for sure, but the poor us thing gets old quick.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 1, 2012 -> 04:18 PM)
So, just finished the third GOT book, do I read the 4th or is it really that bad and I should just find a synopsis and go on to the 5th?

I'm about 400 pages into it. It's slower but I still find myself pushing forward. The story lines with the Ironborn and the Dornish have my attention. The more interesting story lines are in the next but I'm getting through it. Plus, the 6th won't be out for several years anyways so you have time.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 1, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
So, just finished the third GOT book, do I read the 4th or is it really that bad and I should just find a synopsis and go on to the 5th?

It's not bad, just not a good as three. Plus people that read them a they came out were mad that they had to wait a decade for some characters' stories to continue.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 1, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)

I'd read it. Even though it's slow, there are a lot of details that you'll need to know for some of the upcoming twists. You're going to miss out on a lot of Bran stuff and he's developing into a major character. As others said, the Ironborn and Dornish are playing a huge role now. IMO, Storm of Swords is like the final part of Act 1 and Feast of Crows is the beginning of Act 2. Also, there's a ton of s*** in the North you won't want to miss. Actually, just read the damn book. :lolhitting

Like Jon Snow really being the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark, thus making him one of the 3 dragons and true heir to the iron throne.

Also, to understand what in the hell is going on with Bran and Bloodraven who's really Bryndyn Rivers who's really a Targaryen.