2012 Book Thread

Texsox

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahead of today's start of The U.S. Open, I just finished "The Big Miss" by Tiger Woods' former coach Hank Haney. It was ok. It gave a little insight into Tiger, but mostly to the extent that no one really has any. It certainly wasn't salacious or gossipy, which I didn't expect it to be.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
Perhaps it's time for a "Game of Thrones" book thread...

I started last week. I'm about 6 chapters in...I've been a bit frustrated trying to keep all the weird names and places straight, but now it's starting to pick up a bit.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 02:54 PM)
I started last week. I'm about 6 chapters in...I've been a bit frustrated trying to keep all the weird names and places straight, but now it's starting to pick up a bit.

Theres a glossary in the back of each book to give you a structure. It gets even more confusing at times but then guys get killed off. Just wait until they change the names of characters.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished a Dance with Dragons about 3 weeks ago, actually a bit disappointed with the book.

I just felt that the storyline wasn't as good as I expected, it took forever to build up to events, and even then it didn't go into them that much.

However, I do love the two Targaryeans and the different paths they are taking now.

However, I do love the two Targaryeans and the different paths they are taking now.

I will say I LOVE AFFC. I thought it started a touch slow but I love where it went. Alot of things happened just around the main plot, enough to make me interested in what was going to happen next. When I finish Dragons I am going to be so restless.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
I will say I LOVE AFFC. I thought it started a touch slow but I love where it went. Alot of things happened just around the main plot, enough to make me interested in what was going to happen next. When I finish Dragons I am going to be so restless.

Yeah I finished it about a month ago now and am already the same way

Can someone summarize maybe the 3-5 best books they've read since August/September of last year?

I'm trying to catch up with every book that I can't read while I'm in China, and I just refuse to use kindle/e-readers, just have to have the feeling of an actual, physical book in my hand.

I read the latest Grisham (Litigators) and Paterson/Alex Cross books on the plane, so my interests go from David Foster Wallace/Ulysses level of difficulty to summer beach reading.

One of the books I read about here that I really enjoyed was 11/22/63, the Stephen King one on the JFK assassination "re-do."

Fifty Shades of Grey, couldn't make it through. Read all the Hunger Games books in one week, though.

Edited by caulfield12

Here's my list for the next five weeks....

War

by Junger, Sebastian.

The measure of the magic

by Brooks, Terry.

The submission

by Waldman, Amy, 1969-

Prophet''s prey : my seven-year investigation into Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-Day Saints

by Brower, Sam.

Aleph

by Coelho, Paulo.

1Q84

by Murakami, Haruki, 1949-

Ozzie''s school of management : lessons from the dugout, the clubhouse, and the doghouse

by Morrissey, Rick.

Bossypants

by Fey, Tina, 1970-

Stone Arabia : a novel

by Spiotta, Dana, 1966-

The sense of an ending

by Barnes, Julian.

Battle hymn of the tiger mother

by Chua, Amy.

The tiger''s wife

by Obreht, Téa.

Say her name

by Goldman, Francisco.

Ready player one

by Cline, Ernest.

Once upon a river : a novel

by Campbell, Bonnie Jo, 1962-

State of wonder

by Patchett, Ann.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
I've been tempted to pick that up. It's been well reviewed, and seems timely.

It's been a jaunt so far. Full of great information, but it's not a quick read by any means. I'm only up to the JFK administration.

Finished In the Garden of the Beasts by Erik Larson of Devil in the White City fame. Pretty neat, compelling information and accounts in the book, just didn't like how 70 percent of it took place in 1933 Nazi Germany and then BAM relatively fast forwarded to when the family left Berlin.

Alright, I've got to go on a Song of Ice and Fire rant.

Just finished up the first 5. The first 3 were awesome, FFC and DoD pissed me off.

Nothing is happening. 1800 pages over two books and there is virtually no advancement of the main plot lines.

Daenerys is still on the eastern side of the narrow sea and isn't showing any inclination to invade Westeros. The Others haven't made an appearance in quite some time. Cersei is still f***ing up the realm while ruling for one of her sons. Stannis is still basically irrelevant and no one else has really stepped up yet to make trouble for the Lannisters since Robb was killed. Everyone is just planning or wandering the realm, often aimlessly.

The side plots aren't any better. Bran's sections are still incredibly boring and have yet to show any relevance to the main plot. I don't know what the hell the point of Arya, Davos and Brienne chapters are, they didn't really go anywhere or doing anything of major significance. The same is mostly true of Sansa and Sam, at least they seem like they will matter.

Even the more interesting characters like Jaime and Tyrion are losing steam, though at least those have a point (Tyrion was how Aegon was introduced and Jaime figuring out what to do with out his sword hand makes sense). John's chapters are highly repetitive between preparing for battle and figuring out how to help the wildlings, at least until he gets stabbed. If not for Cersei's plotting, the arrival of Aegon and some decent parts with Theon/Reek, it'd have been even worse.

I can't imagine the feeling if you were reading these when they actually came out, it's been 12 years and counting since the awesomeness of Storm of Swords. At least it sounds like things will pick up again in Winds of Winter, though who knows when that will actually come out.

Edited by ZoomSlowik