2012 Book Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 2, 2012 -> 12:55 AM)
Just bought the GOT books.. got hooked from the show. Now have to read them. Looking forward to them.

I just finished the first book. It's actually pretty incredible how well the show is done. I learned a bit more about the characters, but really the show covered it all.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 2, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
The second season seems to be diverging a bit more. They pushed one of the best scenes in the series from book 3 up into the latest episode and changed it (how the Tickler dies). It was a good scene in the show but so much more awesome in the book.

book 3 spoilers

I bet they're still do that book 3 scene. It still works as long as you've got Polliver there.

I've got no problem with them knocking off The Tickler now. It's better than introducing two jobbers like Chiswyck and Weese for Jaqen to kill.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 1, 2012 -> 10:34 PM)
I'd read it. Even though it's slow, there are a lot of details that you'll need to know for some of the upcoming twists. You're going to miss out on a lot of Bran stuff and he's developing into a major character. As others said, the Ironborn and Dornish are playing a huge role now. IMO, Storm of Swords is like the final part of Act 1 and Feast of Crows is the beginning of Act 2. Also, there's a ton of s*** in the North you won't want to miss. Actually, just read the damn book. :lolhitting

Like Jon Snow really being the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark, thus making him one of the 3 dragons and true heir to the iron throne.

Also, to understand what in the hell is going on with Bran and Bloodraven who's really Bryndyn Rivers who's really a Targaryen.

this is not true. none of these things happen in book 4.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 3, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
this is not true. none of these things happen in book 4.

Did I get the books mixed up? They all kind of become one to me. I do remember the 4th book being boring, but you can't skip a book in the series. Nothing will make sense.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 3, 2012 -> 11:06 PM)
Did I get the books mixed up? They all kind of become one to me. I do remember the 4th book being boring, but you can't skip a book in the series. Nothing will make sense.

None of those things happen in any book. Maybe they've been hinted at but nothing you put in spoilers has been confirmed.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 4, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
Yeah, I kind of said those things in jest. I thought people might catch on. My fault.

i was actually really pissed for a second because they did NOT happen in the fourth book and i thought you'd ruined those plotlines for me. be more careful...

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 4, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
i was actually really pissed for a second because they did NOT happen in the fourth book and i thought you'd ruined those plotlines for me. be more careful...

Dude, relax, I used spoiler tags. I was joking about all the speculation involving those characters. I got my baseball nerds mixed up with my A Song of Ice and Fire nerds. It happens.

So I finally finished The Hunger Games trilogy last night. I'd give the whole story a B or B+. The ending of the third book left me really unsatisfied...lots of build up and then...meh. I think i'm going to start The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo set now.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

Finished A Feast for Crows last night. Agree that it was slower than the first three, but I really don't think it was that terrible as some have said. Granted, if I read this when it came out and had to wait five years for DwD I would probably have been pissed as well.

That being said, the final chapters really left me with some intriguing questions and thoughts

What is going on with Arya?

Is the potential Dorne/Targaryen alliance still on?

Is Brienne dead? I'm going to think not, but wtf is up with zombie-Catelyn?

So excited that Cersei didn't get her way and I like how Jaime's character seems to be truly evolving morally and ethically

What's up with the Oldtown novices? I thought Pate died in the prologue? Is the alchemist someone like Jaqen who can disguise themselves?

Despite Sansa's often tediously long chapters, we finally found out what Littlefingers end game with her appears to be. He basically is seeking to control half of Westeros, and he has a fairly solid plan it seems.

Probably going to start reading aDwD this weekend

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 10, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
Finished A Feast for Crows last night. Agree that it was slower than the first three, but I really don't think it was that terrible as some have said. Granted, if I read this when it came out and had to wait five years for DwD I would probably have been pissed as well.

That being said, the final chapters really left me with some intriguing questions and thoughts

I'm totally stuck on FfC. Halfway through and can't move forward.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 10, 2012 -> 07:45 AM)

What is going on with Arya?

Is the potential Dorne/Targaryen alliance still on?

Is Brienne dead? I'm going to think not, but wtf is up with zombie-Catelyn?

So excited that Cersei didn't get her way and I like how Jaime's character seems to be truly evolving morally and ethically

What's up with the Oldtown novices? I thought Pate died in the prologue? Is the alchemist someone like Jaqen who can disguise themselves?

Despite Sansa's often tediously long chapters, we finally found out what Littlefingers end game with her appears to be. He basically is seeking to control half of Westeros, and he has a fairly solid plan it seems.

I'll answer all those questions in a week. Just start ADWD, then we can have some fun speculative arguments. It's a great series.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 24, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
Almost done with Storm of Swords. Unreal book series with great surprises.

I'm about 75% done with A Dance with Dragons and I completely agree. The next book is a bit slower but just work your way through it. aDwD makes up for it

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 24, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)
I'm about 75% done with A Dance with Dragons and I completely agree. The next book is a bit slower but just work your way through it. aDwD makes up for it

I need to find the next two from somewhere. I read Clash of Kings on vacation and storm of swords since sunday (almost done).