2012 Book Thread

Texsox

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 11:42 PM)
Got it, haven't read it yet.

I read it, didn't like it much at all. Nothing much happened and the whole story was very predictable.

And I really liked Momento, but haven't tried meth.

Just read Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Great, but dragged on to too long on points and was also a little too preachy.

Started Hunger Games. Already fifty percent through. Feared it would be like Twilight, and at points you think its going into that territory, only to take a complete opposite direction. Hope it stays that way.

*bump*

I just finished 11/22/63, and I have to say it's one of the best books I've ever read. As far as Stephen King books go, it might be his best, and it's certainly his best since It. And speaking of It, I loved the references to the story within this book.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
*bump*

I just finished 11/22/63, and I have to say it's one of the best books I've ever read. As far as Stephen King books go, it might be his best, and it's certainly his best since It. And speaking of It, I loved the references to the story within this book.

I understand the reverance for It, but I think The Dark Tower as a whole, in particular VII The Dark Tower, was his finest work. It was pretty awesome how he intertwined all of his books as well as himself(getting hit by the car) into the books

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
I'm trying to psyche myself up to start "Infinite Jest." Its length and all the footnotes make it a little intimidating. Has anybody here tackled it?

I'll give it a shot...eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 11:44 PM)
So I have $50 in gift cards to Amazon. Do I use it to buy all 5 Game Of Thrones books digitally? The first 4 you can get for $30, the 5th you can get for $15.

I enjoyed all 5 of them. However the 4th and 5th are SSSSSLLLLOOOOWWWW. A Storm of Swords was one of the top 5 books I read last year.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 12:00 AM)
I enjoyed all 5 of them. However the 4th and 5th are SSSSSLLLLOOOOWWWW. A Storm of Swords was one of the top 5 books I read last year.

Would you cough up $45 for all 5 digitally though? I'm not a big fantasy epic reader, but I liked the series on TV.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 12:02 AM)
Would you cough up $45 for all 5 digitally though? I'm not a big fantasy epic reader, but I liked the series on TV.

Well you will definitely get plenty of hours reading out of them. I only dabble in fantasy myself. I'd advise trying to get your hands on the first one to see if you enjoy the writing.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 01:02 AM)

I loved the TV series so i bought the books. I'm about half way through the first book right now and I love it. Very similar to the TV series but the book makes everything so much easier to follow and is more descriptive. I'm hoping to finish it by the end of the month, then watch season 2 of the series and then read book number 2. I don't regret my purchase at all.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
I'm trying to psyche myself up to start "Infinite Jest." Its length and all the footnotes make it a little intimidating. Has anybody here tackled it?

I've been in your boat. I want to read it and it's on my bucket list, but man, what an undertaking that will be. Plus, footnotes are screwy on an e-reader.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 11:42 AM)
I started the first "Hunger Games" and couldn't put it down. I don't know why I resisted so long.

I was very impressed how the author could create a sympathetic character who murdered people.

Currently reading Grapes of Wrath. I am bouncing around classics for a while trying to fill in holes in my education. I really wanted to start Blood Meridian, but it has not arrived yet.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 11:42 AM)
I've been in your boat. I want to read it and it's on my bucket list, but man, what an undertaking that will be. Plus, footnotes are screwy on an e-reader.

I've chickened out (for now) on "Infinite Jest." I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks and didn't want to be on a "difficult read" on the plane or by the pool.

I just started "An Object of Beauty" by Steve Martin, who's a really talented (but not outlandishly hilarious) writer.

I've steered clear of the "Hunger Games" books because I've seen them billed as being geared towards "young adults." I'm not even sure what that means, but I know I don't fit that definition. This thread, however, has me reconsidering. Is there anything in particular about them that would turn off an old fart?

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
I've steered clear of the "Hunger Games" books because I've seen them billed as being geared towards "young adults." I'm not even sure what that means, but I know I don't fit that definition. This thread, however, has me reconsidering. Is there anything in particular about them that would turn off an old fart?

That's why I avoided. My mother loaned one to me and the typeface was too large and turned me off. Then I downloaded for e-reader, picked my font size and rocked and rolled.

The writing is very much for adults.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
I'm up and down with Murakami's 1Q84 right now. The concept of the book (parallel universes that you vacillate between) is really intriguing. Not so sure about the execution of it yet.

That's on my list, I just didn't want to jump into that monster right after 11/22/63.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)

I thought the writing was more geared towards adults than "young adults". I hesitated before finally downloading the first book to my Kindle. Once I started reading, I couldn't stop. I recommend it to anyone.