2012-13 Music Thread

Balta1701

Lupe Fiasco expressed his concern for the violence in Chicago, saying young rappers like Chief Keef "scare him" because of the violence they promote and partake in (gang warfare). In response to "Lil JoJo" being gunned down in Chicago recently, Keef took to Twitter to laugh at his death. Then Keef got Lupe involved and said he was going to slap him "like the b**** that he is" next time he sees him.

All this culminating in Lupe Fiasco retiring from music.

Needless to say.....

f*** CHIEF KEEF

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:36 PM)
I'm studying Spanish and have been trying to familiarize myself with Spanish-language music. It is difficult for me to find anything beyond the ultra-poppy type of stuff. Anyone here have any suggestions for Spanish-language jams? I don't care the genre, honestly, I've just had enough Juanes and songs with names that translate to "True Love" or "Without You" etc

well you could check out the Mars Volta, they do some lyrics in spanish and really like to jam.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 12:44 AM)
One of the "big four", of which Slayer was/is the best and Metallica was/is the most succesful. Not too many bands around that find the grass greener (or even as green) on the other side of the fence following a change in lead singers- six times in their case. To be fair, they're pretty much divided into the Joey era and the John era.

If you enjoy them though, check out S.O.D. - a side project Scott Ian's and Charlie Benante's. I stopped following that genre of music years ago (apart from Slayer, inexplicably), but they reunited with Joey Belladona- lead singer during their so called "classic era", and the album they released seems to be going over well with their fans.

Yeah, "Worship Music" is awesome.

A heads up to anyone interested- Don't know if it's because of weather or because he is truly an awful man, but Bruce Springsteen and his xylophone are performing at Wrigley tonight and tomorrow night (9/7-9/8). It looks like prices on Stubhub have plummeted- some are in the ballpark of $40 (as opposed to $100-ish a few months ago). Wrigley is a great place to catch a show, and it's getting to be cheap enough that one might consider attending just to say they did.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
Not interested in Springsteen at all.

Make no mistake about it, this is my position as well- but clearly, yet inexplicably there isn't a shortage of Springsteen fans in the world, and I would imagine they might appreciate paying half of what admission was just a month earlier.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
Make no mistake about it, this is my position as well- but clearly, yet inexplicably there isn't a shortage of Springsteen fans in the world, and I would imagine they might appreciate paying half of what admission was just a month earlier.

Well, then I did my part by leaving two tickets out there to be had.

The email didn't give me a password, it was a general link to a webpage. I'm sure the tickets didn't last stay available for long.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 12:06 AM)
Lupe Fiasco expressed his concern for the violence in Chicago, saying young rappers like Chief Keef "scare him" because of the violence they promote and partake in (gang warfare). In response to "Lil JoJo" being gunned down in Chicago recently, Keef took to Twitter to laugh at his death. Then Keef got Lupe involved and said he was going to slap him "like the b**** that he is" next time he sees him.

All this culminating in Lupe Fiasco retiring from music.

Needless to say.....

f*** CHIEF KEEF

I hope Lupe changes his mind. I'm not going to cry though. He's done this before. If he doesn't want to make music anymore, there's nothing I can do to stop him. By the way, Keef says his Twitter got hacked for those Lupe reply tweets.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
Local H was great last night! I was a bit underwhelmed by the new song and I could easily live without the Pink Floyd cover, but those were minor quibbles. Those guys bring it every time. They're playing Bottom Lounge on the 18th, and I'm thinking I might need to see them again... :headbang

Local H always brings it. I remember when they played on Halloween in Carbondale at The Copper Dragon around 2000-2002, Scott Lucas wore a gorilla suit for the entire show, he had to have lost 15 lbs in water weight, The Copper Dragon was super hot during that show.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 10:10 PM)
I hope Lupe changes his mind. I'm not going to cry though. He's done this before. If he doesn't want to make music anymore, there's nothing I can do to stop him. By the way, Keef says his Twitter got hacked for those Lupe reply tweets.

Yeah, I don't buy that for a second that his account was hacked. It's not surprised that almost everyone who has been in trouble for tweeting says their account was hacked.

I absolutely hope Lupe changes his mind, I also think when he said "Lupe Fiasco is done", he may have just meant that alter ego. Remember, he also has the alter ego in the British hard rock band "Japanese Cartoon". So I think he may just make up a new name, and rap about different things, probably without a label.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
Also, new Big Sean mixtape "Detroit" is pretty good.

Detroit is awesome. First half is ok, but the second half is great.

And all the tracks I've hear so far from Lupe's new album are great. The "Battle Scars" song with Guy Sebastian is amazing.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 01:41 AM)
Detroit is awesome. First half is ok, but the second half is great.

And all the tracks I've hear so far from Lupe's new album are great. The "Battle Scars" song with Guy Sebastian is amazing.

Battle Scars is good. Lamborghini Angels is decent, but the content kind of makes me cringe, and not want to sing outloud. Ha.

Oh also, I LOVE the content in b**** Bad, but the flow in that song is a little weird and kind of hard to listen to. It's more of him talking with music playing behind it, but I love the message.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
Battle Scars is good. Lamborghini Angels is decent, but the content kind of makes me cringe, and not want to sing outloud. Ha.

Oh also, I LOVE the content in b**** Bad, but the flow in that song is a little weird and kind of hard to listen to. It's more of him talking with music playing behind it, but I love the message.

Yeah, I agree. He definitely goes deep in this album, from what I have heard of it so far. He's never been a real sing-along type guy anyway. The Show Goes On wasn't even his song, the record label forced it on him, and, sadly, it's his biggest hit to date. And b**** Bad is simply his lyrical abilities on display.

They've been playing a ridiculously awesome early 90s hip hop set on KEXP for the last hour. Hope it continues.

EDIT: Including Ice Cube's "Check Yo Self"

EDIT 2: Hitting up some old break dance tracks, Herbie Hancock's "Rock It" and Nucleus' "Jam On It". I'm dancing here by myself.

Edited by BigSqwert

GOOD Music CD leaked last week. I've listened to it all 1 time through and it's pretty solid. Be warned though, all the songs that have been already released are a lot different from the other songs on the CD. The 6 or 7 that have not been released yet are slower paced, and nothing like Mercy or Clique.

Anyway, so far I give it an 8/10. I'll listen to it more this week and see how I feel.

Well, as I expected, Lupe said in an interview today that when he said "Lupe was dead", he meant that alter ego and potentially rap music for him. He will still do songs for SndClash, and still do stuff for Japanese Cartoon, but he said he is done with rap after F&L2TGARA: Part 1, F&L2TGARA: Part 2, and apparently a CD called "Skulls" that he is already working on. So 3 more rap CDs, and then he said if he ever does rap again, it won't be commercially and it will be on his own time.