2012-13 Music Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 27, 2013 -> 02:18 AM)
Saw Kendrick Lamar on SNL (never even heard of him until tonight) is he supposed to be "good" or "bad", cause based on the song which seemed to only have the lyrics "drink" and "die" in it repeated over and over.... I'd put him in the "bad" category haha (you know super white hip hop expert that I am haha)

I personally really enjoy his album. It took some time for him to grow on me though.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 27, 2013 -> 02:18 AM)
Saw Kendrick Lamar on SNL (never even heard of him until tonight) is he supposed to be "good" or "bad", cause based on the song which seemed to only have the lyrics "drink" and "die" in it repeated over and over.... I'd put him in the "bad" category haha (you know super white hip hop expert that I am haha)

His album is phenomenal. IMO, he's the best in this "new breed" of rappers. I've been a fan of his since I saw him down at SXSW 2011.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
I dig the new Alkaline Trio song... I haven't LOVED that band since Crimson, so I hope this is an improvement from Agony & Irony (which I liked) and This Addiction (which I found very bland and boring)

That takes me back...Crimson was an outstanding album.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
I flipped to the Grammy's last night and caught some dude wearing a Yellow suit and '70s era ABA headband singing offkey about Forrest Gump. Frank Ocean, I assume? WTF

I watched Mumford & Sons win a Grammy for Album of the Year. Stupidly enough, it didn't win "Best Album That Frat Boys Think is Unique and Inspiring But It Really Isn't At All". It should have. They've basically evicted Dave Matthews from the spot he's held for oh so long.

Also, what constitutes country music anymore? Labeling any of those nominees as "country" is a bigger stretch than Hawk yelling at a lazy warning track fly ball off the bat of Jerry Owens to STRETCH! Nauseating.

My thoughts on last night's Grammy's

-Taylor Swift is just awful and seems to get worse everytime I hear/see her

-Jack White, The Black Keys and the Levon Helm tribute were all top notch performances

-Katy Perry is awful but has a nice rack

-While I don't care for Kelly Clarkson's music, she does have a set of pipes on her

-Frank Ocean's performance was dreadful and served as my comic relief for the night

-I don't get the Mumford and Son's appeal

-Alabama Shakes should have taken at least one of their 3 nominations

-Jack White should have gotten Album of the Year

I also don't understand why they can't find time in the broadcast to show the Rock album and Rock performance Grammy's but can show both Best Urban-Contemporary Album and the Rap Collaboration awards. Seems to me like the best Rock Album award should be bigger than either of those. Otherwise cut out some of the pathetic performances and show more awards.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 12:23 PM)
I agree with Pat Foley's sentiments on the matter.

I was flipping between the two and heard him. It was funny.

I dug the Levon Helm tribute, but the Marley one was terrible. Jack White gave a good performance.

Channel Orange probably deserved Album of the Year, even if it wasn't my favorite of the bunch (that would be Blunderbuss).

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 2, 2013 -> 07:19 AM)
I saw Gaslight Anthem on Thursday night at First Avenue. Hot damn, they were fantastic. Bouncing Souls were good too. I was also pleasantly surprised by the first opener, Cory Branan.

Such a fun/great show.

I really need to see them live. Although I did think "Handwritten" was a step back musically for them from "American Slang", maybe they'll just play the few songs I did like from Handwritten haha.

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
I really need to see them live. Although I did think "Handwritten" was a step back musically for them from "American Slang", maybe they'll just play the few songs I did like from Handwritten haha.

Handwritten is growing on me a lot. I think American Slang was a bit of an expansion musically, and sometimes bands continue on that progression for two or three albums. Handwritten is much more straight up rock n roll.

That's one reason I liked the show so much. You know how in movies when the characters just go to a generic rock show, and they're all having fun and it's the time of their lives? That's basically what this was. About 15 feet from the stage, just rocking out with Gaslight for an hour and a half.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (farmteam @ Feb 19, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
Some solid names on the Bonnaroo lineup.

http://lineup.bonnaroo.com/

Got to love Paul McCartney and Wu-Tang on the same bill. Bonnaroo is not the gig I would have pictured McCarntey doing at this point in his life. I'm kicking around the idea of going down. Jim James is doing the all-night jam performance thing, so I'd be skipping the entire Mumford set to claim a spot, but music that frat boys think is deep and unique because a banjo is incorporated into their song (yes song, as in they only have one song, its just listed a few dozen times throughout their catalog under a different name), so not a big loss. I'd still like to have seen them just to be able to say I did.

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 07:54 PM)
Diggin' the Jim James solo album, but he's a Southern Yankee...

I'm going to see him 4/19 in Milwaukee and 4/20 at the Vic. I like the solo album, but I haven't been able to get into it as much as I hoped I would. I think the Morning Jacket guitarist is opening act, and they do a few MMJ for encore after JJ's set. Southern Yankee is a pretty spot-o

Has anyone ever had ticketmaster cancel an order because you exceeded the ticket limit?

Basically I bought 3 tickets and then 2 of my other friends messaged saying they were in a meeting and asked if I could buy them. I did but after realized that the limit was 4...

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 22, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
Has anyone ever had ticketmaster cancel an order because you exceeded the ticket limit?

Basically I bought 3 tickets and then 2 of my other friends messaged saying they were in a meeting and asked if I could buy them. I did but after realized that the limit was 4...

the last two friends fight to the death.