2012-13 Music Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
Im thinking about doing a top 3 or so for rap albums of 2013. Anyone have suggestions that I may not know of?

I thought 2013 was a pretty bad year for rap music CDs. The only one I can even think of that I enjoyed this year was Kanye's CD, but even that one wasn't one of my favorites of his. I'm hoping Eminem's CD that comes out in 3 weeks is awesome.

EDIT: Big Sean's "Hall of Fame" and Mac Miller's CDs this year would probably be my #2 and #3 after Kanye's.

Edited by Chilihead90

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of now my 1 and 2 are Kanye and Kendrick. Im waiting until I see their concert to make a final decision.

I saw Mac Miller live and wasnt terribly impressed, but Im going to give his album and Big Sean definite consideration. Right now Im repeatedly listening to Magna Carta and I Am Not A Human Being 2, just to make sure that Im not missing something.

And I assume Eminem is going to be in the running.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 04:57 PM)
As of now my 1 and 2 are Kanye and Kendrick. Im waiting until I see their concert to make a final decision.

I saw Mac Miller live and wasnt terribly impressed, but Im going to give his album and Big Sean definite consideration. Right now Im repeatedly listening to Magna Carta and I Am Not A Human Being 2, just to make sure that Im not missing something.

And I assume Eminem is going to be in the running.

Well Kendrick didn't have a CD in 2013, so I'm not sure if he qualifies your list. I really didn't like Magna Carta...Holy Grail. A few good tracks, but overall I thought it was Jay-Zs worst in a while. I hate Lil Wayne, so no comment on his CD this year because I didn't even give it a listen.

Overall I just thought it was a real weak year. 2012 was much better I thought.

Doh didnt realize Kendrick was late October of last year.

Magna Carta is pretty vanilla, its not really blowing me away. Wayne is hit or miss I feel, sometimes his songs are dynamite, other times hes just on another planet.

Im also thinking about going backwards and doing other years as well. Im going to talk with my friend. The main reason Ive been thinking about this is I was listening to Stankonia the other day and I wondered if people even remember Outkast anymore. Which is kind of ridiculous seeing as retrospectively it appears Outkast was way ahead of their time.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 05:33 PM)
Doh didnt realize Kendrick was late October of last year.

Magna Carta is pretty vanilla, its not really blowing me away. Wayne is hit or miss I feel, sometimes his songs are dynamite, other times hes just on another planet.

Im also thinking about going backwards and doing other years as well. Im going to talk with my friend. The main reason Ive been thinking about this is I was listening to Stankonia the other day and I wondered if people even remember Outkast anymore. Which is kind of ridiculous seeing as retrospectively it appears Outkast was way ahead of their time.

Outkast was pretty great, I love seeing Andre 3000 pop up on songs every now and then, and even Big Boi on a couple.

My favorite rap albums of the past few years would have to be Childish Gambino's "Camp" first and foremost. Then Macklemore's "The Heist", then Kanye's "My Dark Twisted Fantasy".

My favorite rap album of my lifetime has been Lupe's "The Cool" back in like 2008.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 09:14 AM)
Anyone check out the new Pearl Jam? Just got it last night so I haven't had much time to listen to it, but the early releases sounded good, and it's getting good early reviews too

It's getting great reviews- almost surprisingly. I avoided checking out any of the pre-release streams of the album, they played 3 of the songs at Wrigley over the summer, but that's the only time I heard anything until it was waiting on my doorstep. I think it's not bad. Once my copy has a few more spins on it I think I'll probably like it more than Backspacer- but I'm having a hard time seeing myself compare it to Vitalogy like I've seen some reviewers do; not sure what copy of Lightning Bolt they were listening to, but it wasn't the one I got...

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
It's getting great reviews- almost surprisingly. I avoided checking out any of the pre-release streams of the album, they played 3 of the songs at Wrigley over the summer, but that's the only time I heard anything until it was waiting on my doorstep. I think it's not bad. Once my copy has a few more spins on it I think I'll probably like it more than Backspacer- but I'm having a hard time seeing myself compare it to Vitalogy like I've seen some reviewers do; not sure what copy of Lightning Bolt they were listening to, but it wasn't the one I got...

I definitely get the Mind Your Manners/Spin the Black Circle comparison I've seen.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 07:51 AM)
I've listen a couple times to the new PJ, it's a solid album overall, I think it loses some steam towards the end, with a different track order maybe this could have been avoided.

I don't think I've ever disliked one of their closing songs, and this is no different. It's different hearing piano in a Pearl Jam song, but I absolutely love Future Days. I do agree though.

It was a little slower than I anticipated. Mind Your Manners kicks you in the teeth, and I was expecting more songs similar to that, but it's really the only one that does. Still, it's already one of my favorite PJ songs of all time.

I'd rather use a site like Metacritic to get a better feel on an album, Pitchfork always seemed to me to be "too cool" to take an objective listen to most albums, like they made up their mind on a bands album before listening just because they deemed them uncool.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)
I'd rather use a site like Metacritic to get a better feel on an album, Pitchfork always seemed to me to be "too cool" to take an objective listen to most albums, like they made up their mind on a bands album before listening just because they deemed them uncool.

Also the vibe I get from Pitchfork. There was a time when they were useful, but not anymore, to me.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 08:52 PM)
The Marshall Mathers LP 2 was leaked today. Downloading now. A friend of mine heard it today and was not impressed.

Your friend must not be easily impressed.

I just gave it a listen. It's a wonderful combination of early Shady and modern Shady. First spin "love", will listen to it 8,000 more times before Monday.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 01:43 PM)
You were too old to love his early albums and have them blow your mind. :wub: ;) :lol: :P :D

Nah. I've been listening to rap since the early 80's and still do to this day. He just never really did anything for me. His voice doesn't resonate for me. I don't want to hear it after 40 seconds or so as I find it to be grating.