2012-13 Music Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
Finally, a new Fiona Apple CD is out today. Yes it is a guilty pleasure, but I love her voice and always dig the music.

"Things you absolutely thought you'd be typing some day, as of 1996".

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
Finally, a new Fiona Apple CD is out today. Yes it is a guilty pleasure, but I love her voice and always dig the music.

ditto, seeing her next month too. 1st listen through, sounds really good, it's getting really good reviews too.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:28 PM)
I usually steer clear of outdoor music festivals cause of my hated or people, crowds of people, crowds of smelly people and the heat, but this line-up is RIDICULOUS (to me)

http://fyffest.com/

And a HELL of a great price for weekend passes.... I will be there

Riot Fest has a really great lineup this year, but I hate festival shows more than I like the bands.

I prefer the format where there were a ton of individual shows.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
I hate festival shows more than I like the bands.

I prefer the format where there were a ton of individual shows.

I keep hearing this everywhere, and it's kind of worrisome to me because I'm set to venture on down to Atlanta in September for Pearl Jam headlining the Music Midtown Festival. Between the price of admission and the long drive down, a let down would hurt considerably more than if this was in Tinley Park or East Troy... Are the sets shorter or watered down at festival- anything along those lines? I've only ever been to two festivals- Ozzfest in 2001 and Pearl Jam 20th Anniversary at Alpine Valley, and in both cases the headliners were my reason for attending, and in both cases I left satisfied. Not sure those would qualify as true festivals since the entire day and roster of bands performing was planned as a lead in for the headliners, unlike the Lollapaloozsa and Bonnaroos where it's a purely random mix of everything.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 09:43 PM)
I keep hearing this everywhere, and it's kind of worrisome to me because I'm set to venture on down to Atlanta in September for Pearl Jam headlining the Music Midtown Festival. Between the price of admission and the long drive down, a let down would hurt considerably more than if this was in Tinley Park or East Troy... Are the sets shorter or watered down at festival- anything along those lines? I've only ever been to two festivals- Ozzfest in 2001 and Pearl Jam 20th Anniversary at Alpine Valley, and in both cases the headliners were my reason for attending, and in both cases I left satisfied. Not sure those would qualify as true festivals since the entire day and roster of bands performing was planned as a lead in for the headliners, unlike the Lollapaloozsa and Bonnaroos where it's a purely random mix of everything.

Generally the sets are shorter outside of the headliners, but for me the distaste comes from weather, crowds, having to choose between bands if they play at the same time or similar times, things like that. My personality is not suited for all-day events, so it's not worth the ticket price to me. I like going to a specific event and then going home.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
Well, Linkin Park did go back to what made them successful. The new album is fun as hell.

Chester Bennington is turning into the warlock from the House of the Undying.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
Well, Linkin Park did go back to what made them successful. The new album is fun as hell.

Glad to see this forum isn't full of LP haters who think they still make music for depressed teenagers.

The new album is their best since Meteora. It's a good combination their early 2000s stuff and their experimental stuff from the past 5 years.

New Gambino mixtape drops on July 4th.

New Lupe song just came out. "b**** Bad". I'm a big fan of it, despite him using a different flow than normal. The song basically makes fun of female rappers who refer to themselves at "bad b****es" and all those rappers who think it's cool to say things like that. He also makes fun of lil wayne and mocks his typical terrible rap content.

This song is much closer to old school Lupe than that techno-dance club stuff we heard off of LASERS.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
Egads, the new Offspring is horrendous. Next? The new Smashing Pumpkins. I have to assume it will be s***.

New Offspring isn't awful. They just don't do anything different and are what they are. I miss the angry band sometimes.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)
Egads, the new Offspring is horrendous. Next? The new Smashing Pumpkins. I have to assume it will be s***.

Dexter Holland's voice = The worst, most offensive noise in the world. There just isn't any two ways about that. It's like a banshee and some stray cats coming out of nowhere screaming and wailing through a megaphone two inches from your ears right as you were about to fall into the most peaceful sleep ever.

On the plus side, I keep hearing and reading that the new Pumpkins album is pretty good, possibly Corgan's best stuff since the late nineties. Another surprising piece of info about Oceania is that they're actually moving copies at a respectable clip for an act not named Justin Beiber, Nickle Back or Lady Gaga. Looking forward to checking it out eventually.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
Glad to see this forum isn't full of LP haters who think they still make music for depressed teenagers.

The new album is their best since Meteora. It's a good combination their early 2000s stuff and their experimental stuff from the past 5 years.

There's some but there's the few that like them. :) They are my favorite band BTW, but that's by choice in overall style.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
New Gambino mixtape drops on July 4th.

New Lupe song just came out. "b**** Bad". I'm a big fan of it, despite him using a different flow than normal. The song basically makes fun of female rappers who refer to themselves at "bad b****es" and all those rappers who think it's cool to say things like that. He also makes fun of lil wayne and mocks his typical terrible rap content.

This song is much closer to old school Lupe than that techno-dance club stuff we heard off of LASERS.

This post has so much win.

And I was brought here by the following lyric:

"When my mama ask me will I change, I tell her year, but it's clear I'll always be the same, until the end of time."