2012-13 Music Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 04:18 PM)
I haven't seen the popular supergroup that has been able to turn down the millions of a reunion tour for over 30 years. They wouldve gotten together eventually.

Paul McCartney is essentially a billionaire. Lennon would have been as well, plus the guy didn't really seem to care about that stuff as much as others. If anyone could have shut it down, it was John.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 10:23 PM)
Paul McCartney is essentially a billionaire. Lennon would have been as well, plus the guy didn't really seem to care about that stuff as much as others. If anyone could have shut it down, it was John.

McCartney's wealth came from good investing due to his father in law back in the day. He would likely be significantly richer than Lennon.

That being said, I really think it would be like Pink Floyd where they may do a show for charity, not personal gain.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 10:37 PM)
McCartney's wealth came from good investing due to his father in law back in the day. He would likely be significantly richer than Lennon.

That being said, I really think it would be like Pink Floyd where they may do a show for charity, not personal gain.

They all make assloads of money off of their royalties. I do think that Paul would be richer than John by a wide margin, but that never struck me as a motivating factor for Lennon. John Lennon is a fascinating dude. I have read a couple of bios on him, and I encourage other people to do so. He really wasn't wired like your typical rock star.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 08:35 AM)
I thought the Beatles sold all their song rights years and years ago? Michael Jackson owned them for a long time.

The catalog is in different parts based on which record company was selling their albums. Plus they have a ton of other royalties off of new stuff like re-releases and things like Love.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 07:14 AM)
John Lennon was a fascinating dude. I have read a couple of bios on him, and I encourage other people to do so. He really wasn't wired like your typical rock star.

I concluded as much after watching the beginning of this clip through 1:25 from the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus. Great performance of Yer Blues afterwards as well.

I do think his post-Beatles stuff was a lot more hit or miss than McCartney's post-Beatles stuff. Some of it sounds so generic.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
I concluded as much after watching the beginning of this clip through 1:25 from the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus. Great performance of Yer Blues afterwards as well.

I do think his post-Beatles stuff was a lot more hit or miss than McCartney's post-Beatles stuff. Some of it sounds so generic.

There was definitely a lot of anger issues in his life, mostly from his childhood. He was the real rebel of the group. At times he fought people just to fight someone, I think.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)
The catalog is in different parts based on which record company was selling their albums. Plus they have a ton of other royalties off of new stuff like re-releases and things like Love.

There are a bunch of different credits on each song. Lennon and McCartney had writing credits, which likely were not included in the sale to Jackson.

And I agree that Lennon had different motivations, which is why I think he would have done it for charity, but not for money. If it was for a cause Lennon liked, he would have considered doing a show is my guess.

It's a couple of years old, but check out Listen for the Clues by Trumpeter Swan. It's by the former keyboardist from What Made Milwaukee Famous. I won't repost the description, but if you go to the website, it's pretty fitting. Excellent music (and I happen to know him).

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed that.

As for a reunion, no one can ever say it wouldn't have happened, but I highly doubt it would have ever come to fruition. It was never about the money, and clearly none of them needed it. Add to that, John had the desire to settle down and focus on raising Sean and being out of the musical spotlight, I doubt we'd have ever been lucky enough to see all 4 together again. I think the comparison to Pink Floyd is pretty comparable. Waters and Gilmour don't feel like anything else needs to be done as a group, and feel like it won't bring anything else to the table so to speak, regardless of how much money is waved in front of them.

That being said, the wife and I went to see Roger Waters' The Wall in Charlotte, and it was a helluva lot of fun to see.

QUOTE (Spiritinthesky @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 04:09 PM)
Neil Young is the man, along with Dylan, he's always done whatever he wanted and made great records, (most the time).

You ain't kidding there. Young has a new album out in October and Dylan has a new one September 11th. What a great couple months for music fans. From the sounds of it, both albums are going to be fantastic. I have tickets to see Neil Young/Crazy Horse at the United Center in October and I can't wait.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 04:33 AM)
Thanks for the link, I enjoyed that.

As for a reunion, no one can ever say it wouldn't have happened, but I highly doubt it would have ever come to fruition. It was never about the money, and clearly none of them needed it. Add to that, John had the desire to settle down and focus on raising Sean and being out of the musical spotlight, I doubt we'd have ever been lucky enough to see all 4 together again. I think the comparison to Pink Floyd is pretty comparable. Waters and Gilmour don't feel like anything else needs to be done as a group, and feel like it won't bring anything else to the table so to speak, regardless of how much money is waved in front of them.

That being said, the wife and I went to see Roger Waters' The Wall in Charlotte, and it was a helluva lot of fun to see.

Oh I have no doubt that John would have kept making music, he loved the experimental side and making people go "WTF?" He had just finished Double Fantasy when he was killed. I just think they would have done Beatles music again. A Beatles reunion wouldn't shock or upset anyone.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
I've been told I would like Band of Horses; I've listened to My Morning Jacket a bit, but by no means extensively. Let me know what you think (both performance wise and music wise).

After a few days of letting it sink in, the show pretty much did what I had hoped it would do- which is to take a growing interest I had in a band and shooting it to the next level. Pritzker Pavilion has excellent sound (I'm not going to call it acoustics, because the lawn has a criss-crossing structure above it littered with speakers), so it didn't hurt as much that we waited about 90 minutes in the beer line prior to and during most of Band of Horses set. It was a short set, but good. As a band, you're definitely limited in what you can accomplish being an opening act (save for very rare instances).

My Morning Jacket was something to behold. I realize that their set was shorter than it typically is because of the venue they were playing at, but 5 or 6 songs less than usual is a very small price to pay for the backdrop we had:

3089ytv.jpg

We had lawn, and if you've ever taken in a show at Pritzker, you know that means that unless you're at the front, you have little or no view of the stage. We dealt with that for the first song before kind of maneuvering our way to the front (one of my favorite things to do whenever I have lawn tickets). When we got there, we realized that the path running alongside the lawn also ran along the seats, so we grabbed a good vantage point and spent the rest of the night there- still kind of a shoddy view, but better than the alternative was. Perhaps video screens can be looked into? Funny thing, though- I probably would have left just as happy as I did even if we never caught a glimpse of the stage.

At Dawn

Circuital

Holdin On To Black Metal

Off The Record

War Begun

Outta My System

Mahgeetah

Rocket Man (Elton John cover)

Steam Engine

Lay Low

Run Thru

Gideon

Encore:

I Will Be There When You Die

Wonderful (w/Ben Bridwell of Band of Horses)

Victory Dance

Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt. 1

Wordless Chorus

Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt. 2

Anytime

One Big Holiday

They played (excellently) for roughly 2 hours.

This band was excellent live- it exceeded all expectations I had for the show. There are a few bands that I make it a point to see their show every time they roll through town or play somewhere reasonable close (Alpine Valley, Milwaukee)- and they've been added to that list. Highlights of the night for me were Circuital, Rocket Man, and One Big Holiday. One nice thing about the setlist is that even though I'm just becoming familiar with their material, a good chunk of the songs were familiar to me already. The second song of the night (Circuital) was one of the more memorable moments at a show for me, and I've been blessed with the opportunity to see quite a few memorable performers/performances over the years. Let 'Em In and Hey Jude by Paul McCartney at Wrigley Field, Pearl Jam opening their set with Release at the first night of the 20th Anniversary shows at Alpine Valley, and War Pigs by the original Black Sabbath in 2001, right as the sun was setting are other such moments. Also, this show was Exhibit A in why I prefer outdoor venues to indoor venues. Provided it's not hailing or raining fire on you, outdoor shows add a whole new dimension to the experience.

I've known of My Morning Jacket for a good while, but I erroneously assumed they were a band along the lines of Dashboard Confessional, and thusly assumed that there was no substance to their music. I was wrong, and I'm glad that I learned otherwise- better late than never.

Here's a better picture of the setting I found online:

2ui829g.jpg

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

I am loving the new Bob Mould record. It comes out on Tuesday, but a couple of sites have been streaming it, and it's Bob at his best. Very reminiscent of Sugar, which isn't surprising, given that he's touring behind the 20th anniversary reissue of Copper Blue. Fantastic guitar-based alt-pop from a legend in the genre.

If you're interested, here's a link:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/alb...er-age-20120827

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 06:43 PM)
I am loving the new Bob Mould record. It comes out on Tuesday, but a couple of sites have been streaming it, and it's Bob at his best. Very reminiscent of Sugar, which isn't surprising, given that he's touring behind the 20th anniversary reissue of Copper Blue. Fantastic guitar-based alt-pop from a legend in the genre.

If you're interested, here's a link:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/alb...er-age-20120827

I think they've been playing track(s?) off of it on the Current.

The Current is absolutely the most kick ass station I've ever lived near. It's the NPR station for the Twin Cities, and plays a pretty wide variety of stuff, though it's fairly indie-centric. Plays a ton of local artists too (hence the Bob Mould love). I've discovered so many artists through it, it's a phenomenal station.

I'm studying Spanish and have been trying to familiarize myself with Spanish-language music. It is difficult for me to find anything beyond the ultra-poppy type of stuff. Anyone here have any suggestions for Spanish-language jams? I don't care the genre, honestly, I've just had enough Juanes and songs with names that translate to "True Love" or "Without You" etc

Ill never know what it was like to live back in the 60s when my favorite rock bands were new, but a consolation is that I was alive in the 90s and was able to experience the best rappers. Its just strange, 20 years later and there are some good ones, but they just cant touch the legends.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
It makes me mad that I'm only now discovering how good Anthrax is thanks to Sirius XM. I never heard a single song of theirs until last year and that pisses me off.

One of the "big four", of which Slayer was/is the best and Metallica was/is the most succesful. Not too many bands around that find the grass greener (or even as green) on the other side of the fence following a change in lead singers- six times in their case. To be fair, they're pretty much divided into the Joey era and the John era.

If you enjoy them though, check out S.O.D. - a side project Scott Ian's and Charlie Benante's. I stopped following that genre of music years ago (apart from Slayer, inexplicably), but they reunited with Joey Belladona- lead singer during their so called "classic era", and the album they released seems to be going over well with their fans.