My patience is running out with KW

SOXOBAMA

You really don't seem familiar with the realities of baseball as a business.

AJ? He's owed $6M this year. No one wants him for that salary, especially with the concerns of overhead that comes with him. You'd have to pay most of his salary, save maybe $1M... and trade away one of the two or three most popular players on the team, thus some of that million vanishes in diminishing fan support anyway. And then you lose the ability for Flowers to watch AJ and develop. So trading AJ saves you basically no money, gets you no return, and makes some things worse. And he may not even accept it anyway, depending on where you send him.

Trading PK? Sure, teams would like PK, but he is a guy whose contract has a little scary to it. The return on a PK trade, with his current contract (which is at-value or slightly better now, but may be above value later), will not net you the type of great prospects you would like. Meanwhile, such a trade would absolutely have an effect on the fanbase, a very negative one, dimishing your monetary savings. You leave a giant hole at 1B because the Sox don't have any decent 1B prospects right now, so that hole will persist for years. And then you do what with the money you save? Sign PK back, which is exactly what you need anyway? That makes zero sense.

that's why I said eat some of AJ salary

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
The right deal of course being the kind of deal people like you would throw a temper tantrum about.

I can only imagine the meltdown guys like Greg would have that the Sox traded Konerko before guys like Rios and Dunn....

List the 9 players, and tell me what you think the team would get for them, how much money would have to be sent, etc.

AJ

PK

Thornton

Crain

Ohman

Beckham

Floyd

Alexei

Danks

I'd hope for some of these players we would get some great young prospects into this organzation.

Peavy gone after this season and with all the money that the Sox saved, they can use it on next year free agency

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)
What teams would even give up a good prospect for AJ right now? Even if you ate some of his salary. This has been broken down team-by-team, and we couldn't find a good fit anyway.

Until the Angels traded for Iannetta, they were the only team that would even take a token glance at AJ. There's just no market for him at all.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
AJ - No combination of teams wanting him/team can afford him

PK - Fan favorite, need some people to go to the games

Thornton - Most likely to get traded

Crain - Better value now or at the deadline?

Ohman - Not much value, but tradeable at the deadline.

Beckham - Worth more to the Sox than anyone else most likely

Floyd - 2 years of affordable #3 starter should come with a steep price, no one has given the Sox that yet.

Alexei - Same with Floyd, you don't trade unless you get a huge haul.

Danks - NTC now

I'd hope for some of these players we would get some great young prospects into this organzation.

The only ones I can see being traded at this point are the bullpen guys, and those are probably more valuable closer to the deadline.

The only ones I can see being traded at this point are the bullpen guys, and those are probably more valuable closer to the deadline.

The Sox are going to take a huge hit in attendence if we have PK or not.. The way I see it is you take the hit now, bring in many prospects and than spend money on free agency in the next 2 seasons to go along with the prospects.

The next 2 years of PK on this team is worthless, if we aren't going for it

AJ

PK

Thornton

Crain

Ohman

Beckham

Floyd

Alexei

Danks

I already broke down AJ and PK for you. You are not getting any Top 100 names for either. AJ gets you nothing at all, if you can even move him. PK, if you eat a bunch of salary, might get you a couple decent prospects.

Crain and Ohman get you nothing because they are basically paid at-value or above.

Danks just got signed to a long term deal, at-value or so, so he gets you maybe one decent prospect.

Beckham has been a huge disappointment and you would be selling low, getting not much in return, which would be idiotic.

Floyd and Thorton are the only two you suggest that make some sense, and for the two combined, you might, maybe, get one Molina-like spect, but probably not even that.

So you trade all those guys, you eat half the salary in the group, and you get back one or two 75-125 overall level prospects, and a handful of ones below that. And oh by the way, you no longer have any core to the team to build around whatsoever, and have massive holes to fill this year and in the future, so you end up re-spending the money you saved anyway.

Sounds awesome.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
The Sox are going to take a huge hit in attendence if we have PK or not.. The way I see it is you take the hit now, bring in many prospects and than spend money on free agency in the next 2 seasons to go along with the prospects.

The next 2 years of PK on this team is worthless, if we aren't going for it

You have to look at it from a business standpoint:

Savings (probably $6m + prospects (only decent ones, maybe 1 Top 100 guy) >> Loss of fan interest, attendance

Im sure they did calculations and found that keeping Konerko is just a better move financially.

I already broke down AJ and PK for you. You are not getting any Top 100 names for either. AJ gets you nothing at all, if you can even move him. PK, if you eat a bunch of salary, might get you a couple decent prospects.

Crain and Ohman get you nothing because they are basically paid at-value or above.

Danks just got signed to a long term deal, at-value or so, so he gets you maybe one decent prospect.

Beckham has been a huge disappointment and you would be selling low, getting not much in return, which would be idiotic.

Floyd and Thorton are the only two you suggest that make some sense, and for the two combined, you might, maybe, get one Molina-like spect, but probably not even that.

So you trade all those guys, you eat half the salary in the group, and you get back one or two 75-125 overall level prospects, and a handful of ones below that. And oh by the way, you no longer have any core to the team to build around whatsoever, and have massive holes to fill this year and in the future, so you end up re-spending the money you saved anyway.

Sounds awesome.

If the Cubs can get a top 100 prospect for a pitcher who was injured last season. I am pretty sure we could get a few for PK, Floyd, Danks and Beckham. Gordon is a great def player

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)

Sounds awesome.

Good breakdown of the situation.

The Sox are in a position just to play it out and hope they catch lightning in a bottle the first few months of the season. If not, then they'll have a few pieces to move in July, and then some contracts start expiring at the end of the season. This "rebuild" is a multi-year process. The key is to stop making stupid baseball decisions.

Kenny should have been let go after last season, but there's not much he can do right now as an overnight fix.

Peavy gone after this season and with all the money that the Sox saved, they can use it on next year free agency

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)
There is some decent talent left in the free agent market for us to sign. I just hope KW starts bringing people in here SOON.

What exactly are arguing for? Getting prospects or trying to win in 2012?

AJ

PK

Thornton

Crain

Ohman

Beckham

Floyd

Alexei

Danks

You're just playing along with this to get some discussion going during a boring off-season right?

You can't possibly be serious.

Right?

You have to look at it from a business standpoint:

Savings (probably $6m + prospects (only decent ones, maybe 1 Top 100 guy) >> Loss of fan interest, attendance

Im sure they did calculations and found that keeping Konerko is just a better move financially.

lets just say we trade PK, Floyd, Alexei for great prospects and in 2 years the Sox are deep into the post season, don't you think the fans will come back that year and for many years to come following a good young Sox team.

PK won't bring anything to the table, if we aren't going to go for it all. He will be gone by the time Sox will be great again

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
lets just say we trade PK, Floyd, Alexei for great prospects and in 2 years the Sox are deep into the post season, don't you think the fans will come back that year and for many years to come following a good young Sox team.

PK won't bring anything to the table, if we aren't going to go for it all. He will be gone by the time Sox will be great again

Let me know where you're finding 100% guaranteed prospects that will win a championship

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)

How do you know the Sox will be in the postseason in 2 years? There is absolutely no guarantee of that. The propsects could not pan out or get injured then what?

What exactly are arguing for? Getting prospects or trying to win in 2012?

I'd rather have the Sox trade many players for great prospects but if KW isn't going to do that than go for it all.. Instead of a season where we might finished in last place and with NO prospects for the future.

This organzation needs direction of where to go.. Right now our minor league system is a laughing stock and our major league team is in shambles

How do you know the Sox will be in the postseason in 2 years? There is absolutely no guarantee of that. The propsects could not pan out or get injured then what?

then we won't be any better off than where we stand today. At least we have a direction..

I can't stand Billy Beane but he had the right approach for his team this year

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
then we won't be any better off than where we stand today. At least we have a direction..

Actually I think we have a pretty clear direction right now. We aren't going to invest anymore into this year's team, we are only investing in players who can contribute for the next 4 years or so. We just have so many bad contracts that a full rebuild is impossible.

And Beane can never commit to going for it, which may be him or A's ownership, but that's why they can never really win.

Edited by bigruss22

Didn't you say you wanted KW to start signing some quality free agents?

I can understand that completely. Just don't expect those prospects to guarantee a postseason berth anytime soon. It doesn't always happen that easily.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
I'd rather have the Sox trade many players for great prospects but if KW isn't going to do that than go for it all.. Instead of a season where we might finished in last place and with NO prospects for the future.

This organzation needs direction of where to go.. Right now our minor league system is a laughing stock and our major league team is in shambles

Why can't people accept the fact that the Sox aren't going to compete this year. I personally would prefer the Sox rebuild their farm, get the big contracts off the books, then sign impact free agents and build around those prospects in a couple of years.

Simply put, there is no impact free agent out there who could put the Sox higher than a 2nd place finish in the division. Unless you are signing free agents to a 1 year deal, if you keep signing veterans who we have no use for this upcoming season, it will take forever for us to get their contracts off the books.

We do not need to go out and sign 3-4 bullpen arms and and extra outfielder. There is a reason why we are trading away Frasior, Santos, and potentially Thorton and Crain, because we need to save on salary, and we also have plenty of bullpen arms knocking on the door. If we go out and sign bullpen arms or an OF again, wouldn't undo the work we have done this off season?