My patience is running out with KW

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you can maintain one of the highest payrolls in the league, and don't play in a most competitive division, things can turn around quickly. Getting rid of every single player who has value would be foolhardy for the White Sox.

Why can't people accept the fact that the Sox aren't going to compete this year. I personally would prefer the Sox rebuild their farm, get the big contracts off the books, then sign impact free agents and build around those prospects in a couple of years.

Simply put, there is no impact free agent out there who could put the Sox higher than a 2nd place finish in the division. Unless you are signing free agents to a 1 year deal, if you keep signing veterans who we have no use for this upcoming season, it will take forever for us to get their contracts off the books.

We do not need to go out and sign 3-4 bullpen arms and and extra outfielder. There is a reason why we are trading away Frasior, Santos, and potentially Thorton and Crain, because we need to save on salary, and we also have plenty of bullpen arms knocking on the door. If we go out and sign bullpen arms or an OF again, wouldn't undo the work we have done this off season?

Theo is bringing in many players to the Cubs for this season as well as for the future of that crappy organzation, So why can't KW do the same. Besides Reed & Stewart, I don't see any people who can help us this season that is our minor leagues.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
I'd rather have the Sox trade many players for great prospects but if KW isn't going to do that than go for it all.. Instead of a season where we might finished in last place and with NO prospects for the future.

This organzation needs direction of where to go.. Right now our minor league system is a laughing stock and our major league team is in shambles

See below...

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
Actually I think we have a pretty clear direction right now. We aren't going to invest anymore into this year's team, we are only investing in players who can contribute for the next 4 years or so. We just have so many bad contracts that a full rebuild is impossible.

And Beane can never commit to going for it, which may be him or A's ownership, but that's why they can never really win.

This team definitely has a direction and a plan, it is right in front of you. It just isn't one extreme or the other, because one extreme (go for it all now) isn't financially possible, and the other (complete rebuild) makes no sense with the way the organization (contracts, minor league talent) is currently constructed.

When you can maintain one of the highest payrolls in the league, and don't play in a most competitive division, things can turn around quickly. Getting rid of every single player who has value would be foolhardy for the White Sox.

I'd say the Tigers are one of top 5 teams in all of baseball. Either try to compete with them or go young.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
Theo is bringing in many players to the Cubs for this season as well as for the future of that crappy organzation, So why can't KW do the same. Besides Reed & Stewart, I don't see any people who can help us this season that is our minor leagues.

KW is doing that. The Cubs got a guy who is past prospect status but may turn out to be a very good 1B... the Sox signed one of the best LHSP's in the game to a reasonable contract. Now look at the rest of the prospects the Cubs have gotten, compared to the Sox... Sox, so far, are doing better, IMO.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
AJ

PK

Thornton

Crain

Ohman

Beckham

Floyd

Alexei

Danks

I'd hope for some of these players we would get some great young prospects into this organzation.

Peavy gone after this season and with all the money that the Sox saved, they can use it on next year free agency

AJ - Untradeable because he's getting old, isn't good defensively, is only passable offensively, has a tough contract and nobody wants him

PK - Potentially tradeable for the right deal but you don't take the PR hit unless the return blows you away. You can't go into negotiations without a price in mind, as it seems you're advocating

Thornton - Tradeable.

Crain - Tradeable for almost no return.

Ohman - Has no value.

Beckham - Would be foolish to trade a lottery ticket like we have in Beckham for a few B or C-level prospects. Beckham may still be a cornerstone around which we rebuild, while the prospects we'd get back for him would almost certainly not be.

Floyd - Tradeable.

Alexei - You don't trade SS's with his combination of defense and offense unless you know the return you get will be stellar. Who knows if that will ever come along. Beyond that, he may be a useful tool in keeping the Cuban pipeline open.

Danks - NTC for the first year of his deal. Plus, he's young, cheap, talented, and a lefty: exactly the type of player you build around in the future.

Among your nine, I see two moves that just make straight-up sense. KW is obviously on the phone about the Floyd deal, and Thornton is not an earth-shaking move.

KW is doing that. The Cubs got a guy who is past prospect status but may turn out to be a very good 1B... the Sox signed one of the best LHSP's in the game to a reasonable contract. Now look at the rest of the prospects the Cubs have gotten, compared to the Sox... Sox, so far, are doing better, IMO.

Signing Danks to an extension was a great thing for the Sox.

AJ - Untradeable because he's getting old, isn't good defensively, is only passable offensively, has a tough contract and nobody wants him

PK - Potentially tradeable for the right deal but you don't take the PR hit unless the return blows you away. You can't go into negotiations without a price in mind, as it seems you're advocating

Thornton - Tradeable.

Crain - Tradeable for almost no return.

Ohman - Has no value.

Beckham - Would be foolish to trade a lottery ticket like we have in Beckham for a few B or C-level prospects. Beckham may still be a cornerstone around which we rebuild, while the prospects we'd get back for him would almost certainly not be.

Floyd - Tradeable.

Alexei - You don't trade SS's with his combination of defense and offense unless you know the return you get will be stellar. Who knows if that will ever come along. Beyond that, he may be a useful tool in keeping the Cuban pipeline open.

Danks - NTC for the first year of his deal. Plus, he's young, cheap, talented, and a lefty: exactly the type of player you build around in the future.

Among your nine, I see two moves that just make straight-up sense. KW is obviously on the phone about the Floyd deal, and Thornton is not an earth-shaking move.

I'd only want to trade Alexei and Danks for huge value in return. Like Danks to the Yankees for Montero and Baneulos

PK to the Giants for Gary Brown & another prospect. I just don't see why keeping PK for the next 2 seasons when we are not competing rather than getting some hopefully great prospects who could help us win for many years to come.

Floyd I hope gets us a great prospect in return

I think Crain and Thornton can get us decent value in return

I'd eat AJ salary and tried to save at least 2-3M and get something in return for him

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
I'd say the Tigers are one of top 5 teams in all of baseball. Either try to compete with them or go young.

We could be ready to compete with them after just one year of developing/rebuilding, with the right addition(s) from FA. And there's still the wild card, of which there will be two by that time. The Tigers were the only team above .500 in the Central last season, it's not like the AL/NL East.

This thread is all over the place. Any remaining roster spots will be filled internally or with cheap scrap heap guys. The 2012 Sox team will not be competitive. Get over it. The only remaining players that are candidates to be traded right now are Floyd and Thornton. Hopefully they move Floyd as he's absolutely worth at least a B prospect.

As far as prospect gains for the Sox versus the Cubs, it's pretty similar. (Rizzo is still a prospect with rookie eligibility by the way) You have both Molina and Rizzo who are "B+" guys, then you have some "C" fodder on both sides. The scales will tip towards the Cubs if they get Turner+. Although, who cares really? Trades can be revisited later once guys have panned out or busted.

Edited by DirtySox

I guess a lot of fans on this site are happy with a 4th or 5th place finished with a team with a high payroll..

The only way I would ever be happy with a losing record is with a lot of young prospects and building for the future..

This organzation needs a new direction..

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)

So apparently you are losing patience because Theo is moves and KW isn't.

Even on a rebuilding team, you cannot just trade away everyone with value on the team because this is not a video game, and that is not how you run a franchise. We cannot just field a team with Triple A players this season, we still need to take attendance into consideration, that is why a guy like Paulie has not been involved in trade discussions throughout.

Unless you are in an arm race between your buddies or neighbors who are Cub fans, I suggest you be patient and grab popcorn and watch the show, this thing will not be finished over night.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs