Baseball America's Top 10 White Sox Prospects

striker

QUOTE (MEANS @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 01:13 PM)
am I missing something here? Why is Bobby Jenks listed as a top prospect of the decade for 2006?

He didn't pile up enough innings in 2005 to move past the "Prospect" ranking, and "Closed the final game of the world series" is a pretty good feat for a guy appearing on a prospect list.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 01:11 PM)
f***ing seriously? Even after all of those trades we're still the worst? I knew it was really bad, but man...

"All those" trades? I count Sergio, Guillen, and Quentin going in trades. That's not "All those". And in 2 of those, we took back players that had underperformed the previous year, clearly in the hopes that we could turn them around in our org, they're not going to boost you much.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
"All those" trades? I count Sergio, Guillen, and Quentin going in trades. That's not "All those". And in 2 of those, we took back players that had underperformed the previous year, clearly in the hopes that we could turn them around in our org, they're not going to boost you much.

And the Sox don't get credit for those kinds of guys. They should have traded for a guy who hit .141 last year so that people would be giving them credit.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
f***ing seriously? Even after all of those trades we're still the worst? I knew it was really bad, but man...

They've only added one solid "B" prospect in Nestor, and a bunch of "C" guys. Castro has potential if the Sox can fix him.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
And they shouldn't get credit. Formerly good prospects who had horrendous years should and do have their stocks drop accordingly.

But one consequence of that could be...if our minor league development people and pitching staff development people can do a solid job...our system could be ranked lowly but wind up overproducing in terms of major league contributors.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
But one consequence of that could be...if our minor league development people and pitching staff development people can do a solid job...our system could be ranked lowly but wind up overproducing in terms of major league contributors.

For example, how many teams have two of their last three actual first round picks on their major league roster?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)

Absolutely. But if the Sox turn Castro around, that would be reflected in his prospect ranking.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 12:35 PM)
For example, how many teams have two of their last three actual first round picks on their major league roster?

Successful or not, Sale was fast-tracked as a reliever. Love him. Beckham was also fast-tracked and is no crowning achievement currently. I'm not sure why people keep championing Gordon as this great product of the farm system. He has completely underwhelmed so far.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
Absolutely. But if the Sox turn Castro around, that would be reflected in his prospect ranking.

Actually, it probably wouldn't, because he'd rapidly be on the big league squad, and that would mean he's not listed in prospect rankings.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)
Actually, it probably wouldn't, because he'd rapidly be on the big league squad, and that would mean he's not listed in prospect rankings.

I hope not rapidly. I'd rather him get some seasoning with a full year in AAA. No reason to rush a prospect who was awful this previous year in order to play on the lost cause 2012 team.

And if he makes it but to a point he isn't included on a prospect list, great. Accolades will be deserved and given.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
I hope not rapidly. I'd rather him get some seasoning with a full year in AAA. No reason to rush a prospect who was awful this previous year in order to play on the lost cause 2012 team.

And if he makes it but to a point he isn't included on a prospect list, great. Accolades will be deserved and given.

If he has a good first half, he becomes a very likely candidate to replace Peavy in the rotation if the big league squad is out of contention, and pretty much no matter what he does I'd imagine he gets a September callup.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
Looks like the Royals get to hang another "Top Minor League System Champions banner" up at Kaufmann Stadium. The fans must be so proud.

Okay, Im sick a tired of posts like these.

Most people on this site who are advocating for a better farm system believe this:

The farm system should not really be judged on the quality of players coming out of it (though that is a factor into other areas), but for the talent it brings your MLB club, whether that's through trade, calling up prospects, etc.

If a team has an amazing farm system but they get traded for players that don't pan out or don't help the club then the farm system is useless.

Edit: So teams with stellar ranked farm systems only matter if they commit to keeping this talent around, and if they are aggressive enough to trade some prospect depth for impact players. Building a team only through the draft is hard as hell to do without subsequent moves (extensions, trades, FA signings, etc) but having a stellar farm system makes it infinitely easier to win consistently because it provides a buffer zone for mistakes (which every team makes).

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)

Yep. There will be job openings for sure. The Sox have shown they aren't shy about moving the kids they believe in.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
Jared Mitchell not even in top 10.....................pick looks wasted already!

This is an important year for him. That injury really set him back. Now the question will be, was that permanent or can he recover. It will be interesting to see where he starts out at.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
This is an important year for him. That injury really set him back. Now the question will be, was that permanent or can he recover. It will be interesting to see where he starts out at.

I agree with the injury part, but his strikeout ratio is awful.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
If he has a good first half, he becomes a very likely candidate to replace Peavy in the rotation if the big league squad is out of contention, and pretty much no matter what he does I'd imagine he gets a September callup.

That's fine. If he returns to form with the Sox, great. That's what we're hoping for. My point was that Castro's stock dropped for a multitude of issues. Some bad peripherals, questionable mechanics, an inability to repeat his delivery, and overall sub-par results. His prospect ranking and stock dropped accordingly. I'm just not sure why some people take issue with that. No one is calling him a bust, and many acknowledge that the potential is still there. He's just lost some luster.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 01:11 PM)
Well, that was a waste of my time to read.

Phil Rogers would fit in really well on a message board, because there it is acceptable for a very few people to not do research and just say whatever comes to mind, biases or not, and then get massively called on it by the other 98%.

Edited for accuracy.