Yankees Acquire Pineda for Montero

DirtySox

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)
Somebody brought this up on another forum.

But the Yankees should have traded Felix, not Pineda.

You let the Yankees pay Felix what he's worth the next 3 years (60 million over that time) and you keep Pineda, who's cheap and has the potential to be just as good.

In return, you get a boat load of the Yanks' prospects, including Montero, Betances, Banuelos, etc. This frees up a lot of money for them to go sign Fielder and you build your farm even more.

Of course, there's no guarantee that the Yankees will give Seattle their entire farm for Felix.

Agreed fully. I wonder if the M's were worried about fan backlash from trading Felix though?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why teams don't make the Yankees pay a premium when they trade. They should always be forced to include an extra prospect or two in a trade because of their ability to outspend everyone in free agency.

How do you give up a 23 yr old guy who throws 95-100 coming off a solid rookie season? Dumb trade.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 07:35 AM)
I don't understand why teams don't make the Yankees pay a premium when they trade. They should always be forced to include an extra prospect or two in a trade because of their ability to outspend everyone in free agency.

How do you give up a 23 yr old guy who throws 95-100 coming off a solid rookie season? Dumb trade.

I take it you don't know much about Montero. The Yankees indeed paid a steep price. He's a consensus top 10 prospect in baseball (top 3-5 if you don't include pitchers). He doesn't have a position. But his bat is real. The Mariners desperately needed some offensive reinforcements. And they got a real good one.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
I take it you don't know much about Montero. The Yankees indeed paid a steep price. He's a consensus top 10 prospect in baseball (top 3-5 if you don't include pitchers). He doesn't have a position. But his bat is real. The Mariners desperately needed some offensive reinforcements. And they got a real good one.

Even if Montero is Miguel Cabrera, it'd be hard-pressed for him to earn his value as a DH. No matter how good of a hitter you are, you'll only be like a 5-6 win player as a DH.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 09:48 AM)
Even if Montero is Miguel Cabrera, it'd be hard-pressed for him to earn his value as a DH. No matter how good of a hitter you are, you'll only be like a 5-6 win player as a DH.

I'm pretty sure the Mariners would be quite content with that. Don't get me wrong. I like the deal better for the Yankees. But all the pitching in the world doesn't mean much when 4 runs is considered an explosion by your offense. I'd be a lot more cynical from the M's side if they didn't have three premium pitching 'spects in their inventory.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)

One plausible difference here is that if the Mariners are looking 2-3 years down the road, they can give Montero the catcher's spot or a corner OF spot and give him time to embarrass himself while learning the position. The Yankees can't do that, they are trying to win the pennant.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
I'm pretty sure the Mariners would be quite content with that. Don't get me wrong. I like the deal better for the Yankees. But all the pitching in the world doesn't mean much when 4 runs is considered an explosion by your offense. I'd be a lot more cynical from the M's side if they didn't have three premium pitching 'spects in their inventory.

They shouldn't have traded Fister last year. They got nothing special for him. Now their pitching depth is bad.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
Check out the Mariners' offensive statistics last year and the reasoning becomes rather clear.

That alone seems like it wouldn't be enough to motivate people to give up a top flight pitcher.

Alwasy wonder with these deals what the stuff behind the scenes might be.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
That alone seems like it wouldn't be enough to motivate people to give up a top flight pitcher.

I can see the logic. You're not winning anything with a dead-ball era offense. I mean, right now the majority are going to go with Pineda > Montero because we've seen Pineda for a year. If Montero's bat is as real as everybody thinks it is, combined with at least one of Walker, Hultzen or Paxton panning out, nobody will look at it as a bad deal for the Mariners. That's obviously what they (the M's) are rolling with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)

Maybe they think Pineda's arm is gonna fall off in the next year or two, so they traded him before he got hurt?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
Maybe they think Pineda's arm is gonna fall off in the next year or two, so they traded him before he got hurt?

Or he's really difficult to coach in some way, or there are personal issues, who knows.

It does seem like if you've got a pitcher like Pineda and a few other pitchers around, that should free up the money to spend on bats if bats are what you need.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
This is Felix we're talking about.

That's the point. For Felix, NOTHING outside of two A prospects and another B+/- prospect will suffice. Who can come up with that? I like the two B's from the Yankees. But that's not enough for me. I want a f***ing Bryce Harper or Mike Trout back for Felix.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
That's the point. For Felix, NOTHING outside of two A prospects and another B+/- prospect will suffice. Who can come up with that? I like the two B's from the Yankees. But that's not enough for me. I want a f***ing Bryce Harper or Mike Trout back for Felix.

Felix though is already being paid nearly $20 million each of the next 3 seasons. The "Surplus value" he might be creating would still be $5-10 million or so if he keeps performing like he has the last 3. Pineda was already worth $15 million in fangraphs last year, while being paid league minimum.

The fact that Felix is going to be paid highly ought to make a big difference here.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 07:35 AM)

Not when you consider how risky young pitchers are when it comes to being injured.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
Not when you consider how risky young pitchers are when it comes to being injured.

Once they get to the point Pineda is at, hasn't that risk declined substantially? Gotten through a full big league season, survived, etc.?

(Then agian, that still might well be a reason why Seattle would be willing to let him go)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 11:45 AM)
Felix though is already being paid nearly $20 million each of the next 3 seasons. The "Surplus value" he might be creating would still be $5-10 million or so if he keeps performing like he has the last 3. Pineda was already worth $15 million in fangraphs last year, while being paid league minimum.

The fact that Felix is going to be paid highly ought to make a big difference here.

Then keep him. Felix has been cheated out of at least 1 CY because the M's offense is so incompetent. Not only is Felix worth every cent he's being paid, he's a mega-draw. You'll stop what you're doing to watch him pitch. You'll buy tickets, even if the team sucks, whenever Felix takes the mound. And he's only 25? No way. Either bend a team over Herschel Walker style or no deal.

Edit: I take it back. Felix hasn't been cheated out of any CYs. Greinke was clearly better in '09 and Verlander was the man last year. The point still remains the same. If I don't feel 99% of the baseball world will think I decisively got the best of any trade involving Felix, it's just not worth it.

Edited by Jordan4life

The M's must be looking at what happened with the A's last year. You can have all the great young pitching you want, but if your offense is putrid you're not going anywhere. If Seattle can make a crazy push and get Fielder, they could, in theory trade Smoak for some young pitching if they wanted to replenish...

As far as Pineda is concerned, he could dominate, but, I think there's equal chance he melts down in in NY. The whole Yankee Stadium pressure for a 23 year old kid.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
The M's must be looking at what happened with the A's last year. You can have all the great young pitching you want, but if your offense is putrid you're not going anywhere. If Seattle can make a crazy push and get Fielder, they could, in theory trade Smoak for some young pitching if they wanted to replenish...

As far as Pineda is concerned, he could dominate, but, I think there's equal chance he melts down in in NY. The whole Yankee Stadium pressure for a 23 year old kid.

Seattle will not, and I mean emphatically, not go for Fielder with both Smoak and Montero on their roster. Someone has to play the field somewhere.