Time for Soler thread...

caulfield12

Soler, more of a work in progress, might follow Viciedo's example in going to Double-A to start his American career. But there are some scouts who rank him ahead of Cespedes in terms of his upside. His five-tool potential would make him the No. 1 prospect immediately in either the Cubs or White Sox systems.

Because of his advance billing, the signing of Cespedes will be considered a masterstroke for someone. He said last week that the Marlins, Orioles, Tigers, Indians, White Sox and Cubs have shown the most interest in him. But a source with one of those teams says he was surprised to see only six teams listed, and wouldn't be shocked if he winds up with a team he didn't list.

Most expect Cespedes and Soler to go to the highest bidder, which is usually the case with Cuban players, but clearly the White Sox and Cubs are positioning themselves to sell the comfortable fit, not just the contract. Both organizations know other teams are prepared to extend themselves financially, as these are among the last significant pieces that can be acquired before international signing limits kick in this summer.

In signing Balaguert (for $400,000) and Martinez (for $250,000), Epstein followed Hendry's lead to help create a welcoming organization for fellow Cubans.

Belaguert played alongside Soler with Cuba's Junior National team at a tournament in Canada, during 2010. He was in center field, hitting down in the order at the end of the tournament after leading off at the start, while Soler played right and batted third. Martinez spent that season pitching for a bad Industriales team in Cuba's Serie Nacional, and like Balaguert is well acquainted with Soler.

A major league source said the White Sox (COULD, sic) also join the Cubs in pursuing left-hander Gerardo Concepcion. He was Rookie of the Year in Serie Nacional last year but hasn't had as much international experience as Soler, Belaguert and Martinez. He's considered a finesse pitcher but has succeeded with his command.

Rogers www.chicagotribune.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

He is asking a lot of money, if he continues thinking about $50M to sign. I thought $10M was a lot for Viciedo who spent most of the last three years in the minors. Alexei was a steal considering. But, there might be a real upside to Cespedes if the signing bonus price is more reasonable. The foreign born players asking prices are enormous IMO and just too much. Look at the Darvish kid from Japan. The Rangers paid big dollars just to get the negotiating rights.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)
Well, we don't have the usual "keep him away from Walker as long as possible" posts to worry about this season. There's that.

Supposedly, Cespedes hasn't played under the lights in 10 months, that was his excuse basically for the 3 strikeout game.

1 for 10 with an infield single now, I believe.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
He is asking a lot of money, if he continues thinking about $50M to sign. I thought $10M was a lot for Viciedo who spent most of the last three years in the minors. Alexei was a steal considering. But, there might be a real upside to Cespedes if the signing bonus price is more reasonable. The foreign born players asking prices are enormous IMO and just too much. Look at the Darvish kid from Japan. The Rangers paid big dollars just to get the negotiating rights.

And the big talk is the deal won't get done because Darvish wants the shorter term deal and huge potential payoff (to himself and not to his Japanese club) of having every team in baseball bidding for him on the open market as early as 2015.

Will be interesting to see which side blinks first...or if the Rangers go after Fielder and end up passing on Darvish.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)
Well, we don't have the usual "keep him away from Walker as long as possible" posts to worry about this season. There's that.

Supposedly, Cespedes hasn't played under the lights in 10 months, that was his excuse basically for the 3 strikeout game.

I wouldn't be too down on him for 10 AB just like I wouldn't be too excited and offer him double what I was going to offer him if he had hit 5 homers these same 10 AB. You have to trust your scouts or get rid of them. If they say he can play right away or if they say he has holes, you offer accordingly and don't worry about anything else.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
My quick judgments based of Cepedes in the DWL right now tell me I want Soler more, but I would honestly be happy with either one. These guys would be perfect for us.

If the few ABs Cepedes is getting in the DWL is dropping his price by millions and making it more likely the Sox have a shot at him, I hope he fans every time up. How anyone could put that much into these few ABs would amaze me, and I hope every organization except the Sox does. I'm with you, I'd prefer both, but either one would be fine.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
If the few ABs Cepedes is getting in the DWL is dropping his price by millions and making it more likely the Sox have a shot at him, I hope he fans every time up. How anyone could put that much into these few ABs would amaze me, and I hope every organization except the Sox does. I'm with you, I'd prefer both, but either one would be fine.

Dude hasn't played for months. The only thing that I've taken from his performance so far is he has trouble with sliders.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
Dude hasn't played for months. The only thing that I've taken from his performance so far is he has trouble with sliders.

That's my point. I'm not going to buy all the hype that his workout tape was supposed to make, i)n 1994 Michael Jordan would probably have been able to make quite a workout tape himself, and if you threw him a BP fastball he probably could hit it 450), but his numbers indicate he should be able to play a little bit, and certainly if he were game ready, he'd probably be able to put up big numbers in the DWL. Also a lot of guys making big money have problems with sliders.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
That's my point. I'm not going to buy all the hype that his workout tape was supposed to make, i)n 1994 Michael Jordan would probably have been able to make quite a workout tape himself, and if you threw him a BP fastball he probably could hit it 450), but his numbers indicate he should be able to play a little bit, and certainly if he were game ready, he'd probably be able to put up big numbers in the DWL. Also a lot of guys making big money have problems with sliders.

Right. I'm saying it's absurd for anyone to think less of him now based off an extremely rusty 2 game performance in the DWL.

If we get Sol-er, maybe Solyndra Solar Power/Panels/Energy can be one our new advertising/marketing partners.

Or a Spanish tanning booth company...

:bang

BTW, how long before the first "Soler Power" headline appeared after a GW-uRIBe?

The Red Sox have scouted and are impressed with both Cuban defectors Yoennis Cespedes and Jorge Soler, but it appears the Red Sox will likely pass on the huge dollars it may take to sign Cespedes and bid for Soler instead, according to a major league source.

Soler, 19, is a 6-3 slender right-handed hitting centerfielder (sound a little bit like a younger version of THE MISSILE?), who needs more seasoning compared to the Major League-ready Cespedes, who is 26 and ready to step into someone's outfield.

Cespedes,a righthanded power hitter, is projected to be more of a leftfielder at Fenway. The Red Sox are looking for a righthanded hitting rightfielder.

The Red Sox and a few other teams have started to study the cost of Cespedes, an unproven free-agent who has not played against Major League-caliber competition. The money is said to be over $30 million on a four or five year deal and there's also talk of longer term demands.

The A's are yet another of the teams said to be very interested in SOLER.

Edited by caulfield12

Looking at Jorge Solver’s age and physical frame makes you think you just caught lighting in a bottle. His frame and projection is still massively untapped and he could be a 230 pound masher in his prime; it is that type of lower foundation and torque that makes every scout think he will be better than Leonys Martin, who was signed by the Rangers last year. He shows every tool that you covet and then some for an up the middle prospect.

While he has a bag of tools at his disposal, he will need a good deal of refinement. His ceiling is not going to be as high as Cespedes because he will outgrow the center field label much earlier in his career and the same fear of contact at the highest level would not play as well in the corner for an entire career.

The other shoe to drop is the amount of risk a team will make in his investment. Sorer’s price tag will likely be above $20 million dollars and that is a large bit to swallow considering how much boom or bust is left in this young man’s game. He would likely start out in high A ball and there is a long road to show that he could be an effective MLB outfielder.

From a skills standpoint, Sorer can swing for the fences and shows more pull power, but it is safe to suggest pole to pole once he irons out his game and matures a bit more. It is a longer swing, with impressive bat speed making up for any minor flaw, that will need to be compacted down the line, but again you cannot teach raw athleticism and fast twitch production.

Sorer has the overall skill set to play center field right now, but will move to the corner on any parent club. His arm strength is up to plus. Standard speed with growth and maturation should make him a quality right fielder down the line. Overall, he is the same power/speed combo as Cespedes but many years younger.

He will not come anywhere close to the dollar amount required for Cespedes, but if everything falls in line Solder can be a quality everyday type player with power production. These are hard to find at any stage, or location and the reason why he will be sought after by many teams.

www.orioles-nation.com

Dammit KW, can you please come up with a legit CFer who sticks for 5 years and puts up a 725 OPS consistently?

Soler, 19, isn't close to major-league ready like Yoenis Cespedes, but the A's are targeting him with the idea of contending in a new ballpark a couple years down the road. The Yankees, Phillies and Rangers are also expected to bid on the 6-foot-3 outfielder, who could end up with a contract north of $20 million.

Some MLB teams prefer Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler to Yoenis Cespedes, reports Jim Callis of Baseball America.Callis believes Soler would have been a top-five pick had he been in the 2010 draft and compares him to Royals prospect Bubba Starling. Soler, 19, isn't close to major-league ready, but the 6-foot-3 outfielder is highly-regarded for his power potential. Callis believes Soler is more talented than Leonys Martin, who received a three-year, $15.5 million deal the Rangers. The Phillies, Nationals, Yankees, Cubs, A's, Red Sox and Rangers are believed to be in the mix for Soler.

Jorge Soler| OF| 19 years old

Standing 6-foot-4 and weighing 225 pounds, Soler isn't your average-build 19-year-old. Soler is described as a potential five-tool player, the dream of fantasy baseball gamers and real life general managers alike. He has plus speed and power potential, and plenty of time to develop those tools. The Cubs, Marlins, Nationals, Phillies, Rangers and Yankees have all reportedly expressed interest. He'll need minor league seasoning, but the wait could be worth it for dynasty league owners who invest.

Yoennis Cespedes| OF| 26 years old

Cespedes is more than a viral video star. Like Cuban outfielder Leonys Martin, who signed with the Rangers last offseason, Cespedes is near major league ready, but will probably require some time in the minors. He is strong as an ox and has plus speed to boot. The biggest question is if he'll hit for enough average to take advantage of either tool. In a perfect world, he is a slightly below average to average hitter with elite power (think 70 grade on the 20-to-80 scouting scale). A .250-.265 average is palatable when it comes with 30 home runs, above-average stolen base contributions, and strong walk skills that will help his on-base percentage. It's possible he could be an asset come the summer of 2012, but more likely his impact isn't truly felt until the following season.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/fantasy/...ational-impact/

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
I say we sign Soler and Cerpedes :) If Soler truly is that 5 tool guy in the making, we would have an excellent spot for him out in CF as early as next season. Cerpedes can be inserted in LF for the start of the 2012 season if signed. Suddenly our team would be very Cuban :)

Really, I wouldn't project these guys, especially Soler, to be ready that soon.

Atta boy Dayan!

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-ta...&feedID=621

Didn't Alexei contact Viciedo a few years ago too? Or was that Contreras contacting Alexei? Or was it all of the above?

Anyway, I'm really hoping we can grab one of these two guys, and the fact that Soler has gotten almost no press so far works for our advantage.