Argument for not having all INTL players part of June draft

caulfield12

So the problem is that international players have left Puerto Rico to go to other countries not covered by the draft.

If we extend the draft to cover all countries, will they leave for the moon?

This argument actually suggests that an international draft would be a great thing for Puerto Rican baseball, since players would stop having a reason to leave.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
So the problem is that international players have left Puerto Rico to go to other countries not covered by the draft.

If we extend the draft to cover all countries, will they leave for the moon?

This argument actually suggests that an international draft would be a great thing for Puerto Rican baseball, since players would stop having a reason to leave.

I agree.

The NBA and NHL Drafts are worldwide, why not MLB?

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 03:55 PM)
I agree.

The NBA and NHL Drafts are worldwide, why not MLB?

Exactly. And it doesn't matter how long someone has played professionally somewhere else, at least in the NBA. All teams have an equal shot at a player if they put their name in the draft.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)
Exactly. And it doesn't matter how long someone has played professionally somewhere else, at least in the NBA. All teams have an equal shot at a player if they put their name in the draft.

I think if someone has played at a professional level they should have the opportunity to make some more money than a kid coming out of college. Although I'm not aware if there is an age cap for the draft, if that was set at something like 25 I'd be ok with all guys under it being elgible for draft.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 04:40 PM)
I think if someone has played at a professional level they should have the opportunity to make some more money than a kid coming out of college. Although I'm not aware if there is an age cap for the draft, if that was set at something like 25 I'd be ok with all guys under it being elgible for draft.

You could really set the NBA up for a disaster in that situation. The drafts top picks could go to Europe to avoid the cap, play 5-6 years until they hit 25, and then come back. Under that system Derrick Rose could still be playing outside of the US, making assloads of money and the NBA would be out of luck.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)
You could really set the NBA up for a disaster in that situation. The drafts top picks could go to Europe to avoid the cap, play 5-6 years until they hit 25, and then come back. Under that system Derrick Rose could still be playing outside of the US, making assloads of money and the NBA would be out of luck.

I think most players still wouldnt want to go to Europe

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)

While that is true in player salary, it may not be so in marketing deals. Without US exposure, I am not sure Addidas would give him $20 million per year or whatever it is he earns from them. So his overall earnings may be diminished despite playing in an uncapped-league overseas.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
When you post articles, you need to include a link to properly cite the source. if it is a pay article, you are allowed to summarize it, not copy and paste it.

FYI I believe fair use standards also state that you can only excerpt the first couple of paragraphs and not reprint the entire article, but IANAL and I could be wrong.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
FYI I believe fair use standards also state that you can only excerpt the first couple of paragraphs and not reprint the entire article, but IANAL and I could be wrong.

Typically that is also true, but most people will look past that as long as you include a link.

However, the SOPA legislation, if passed, would change that, and even doing that would be enough for this web page to be permanently shut down.

• 3 weeks later...